Getting the copper out - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Getting the copper out

I've stumbled on a better way to get copper out, with nothing but Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner. The regular bore cleaner.

Dunno if barrel temp helps, I prefer to wet the bore as warm as possible after shooting.

0. Get a Gaunt Industries needle applicator, a fairly fat gauge. I've found 18 gauge is perfect for Hoppe's 9. The control it affords you when soaking a patch is @[email protected]# insane. I refill it using pipettes, the kind of plastic pipettes you use in chem lab.

1. Soaking wet patch an an loop, not a jag.

2. With the rifle in a gun vise and barrel tipped down a little, dribble in s'more Hoppe's through the breech. THe needle's long 'nuff to to deal with ejection ports like on henries and ARs.

3. Wait 30 minutes. By now there should be a a pretty good torrent of green goo at the muzzle.. and anywhere under the muzzle. Make sure you got a catch can or something to catch all that dissolved copper. Flip the gun over. Do whatever adjustments to get the barrel tipped down a little again.

4. Dribble s'more Hoppe's down the barrel from the breech end. Wait another 30.

5. Swab the bore with a bore brush. Every 3 stokes I dribble s'more Hoppe's down the bore. I do 12 passes breech-to-muzzle, and I don't run the brush back and forth.

6. Dry patches 'til you get them coming out clean.

7. Oily patch on a loop, follow with one dry patch on a jag, Done.

I've followed this precise method 3 times in a row now, and the only copper in the bore is a very thin wash I suspect is actually my brush, and the odd tiny streak embedded in the steel. I'm not going to get those out.

My prior method wasn't allowing bore cleaner to pool at the bottom half of barrel.

I'm amazed at how great Hoppe's is, it just takes a lot of time and patience. It would seem it's all I need for now
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 PM

I have been using Outers Bore foam.
Just fill the barrel wait 10 or 15 mins. Foam turns blue. push out foam with patch.
I usually flush with Gunscrubber and then dry patch.
Then some CLP oil on a patch to protect followed by a dry patch.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 AM

Some shooters believe copper wearing into the imperfections of the rifling is good for accuracy. They also believe if a chemical harsh enough to breakdown copper is also able to breakdown steel, at a much slower rate of course.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Bench-.../dp/B0013RB1ZC
Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 PM

I've used Benchrest, it's actually less agressive than the old bore cleaner. But takes longer to get that torrent of green out of the muzzle. It's like half the bullet's left in the bore!

I'm new to centerfire rifle and am a bit impressed by how fast it coppers up. Not like slow-poke .45 auto we don't have this problem!
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechott View Post
Some shooters believe copper wearing into the imperfections of the rifling is good for accuracy. They also believe if a chemical harsh enough to breakdown copper is also able to breakdown steel, at a much slower rate of course.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Where did you hear that ? Copper fired lap into the rifling lessens accuracy and barrel life depending on caliber and velocity.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 PM

Get cooper out .........

Use what bench rest shooters use Montana Extreme, its not cheap but best cleaner since invent of smokeless powder.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Does anyone know if plated bullets copper foul worse than FMJs?
I would assume so, but not sure, and everyone knows what assuming does.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:37 PM

I use Wipe Out foam cleaner or Outers foam, both work well. No scrubbing.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400cor-bon View Post
Does anyone know if plated bullets copper foul worse than FMJs?
I would assume so, but not sure, and everyone knows what assuming does.
Yes, they do
Old 12-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
I'm amazed at how great Hoppe's is, it just takes a lot of time and patience. It would seem it's all I need for now
Another Hoppe's user here. I found that if I took the time and broke a barrel in correctly, cleaning the barrel only takes a few iterations of running patches through the barrel. Back in October I shot my 308 and 223 over a period of five consecutive days. I fired 92 rounds of 308 and 139 rounds of 223. For cleaning I used a procedure similar to yours wherein I would start with running a bore brush soaked in Hoppe's for several strokes, let sit for 30 minutes, run a patch, and run the brush with Hoppe's several strokes again. Then I use a jag to run a patch soaked in Hoppe's every 30 minutes. Both rifles took me only about five or six patches to completely remove the copper.