Does anyone know the barrel twist, or a good load for a Winchester 88 in 308 Win? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 PM

Does anyone know the barrel twist, or a good load for a Winchester 88 in 308 Win?

I've got a pre 64 model 88 in 308 Winchester, and I've tried different ammo types with varying results. I don't know the twist rate, so I'm not sure if lighter or heavier bullets would work better out of it. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 PM

This is the best link I found. 1:12

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...bles_Rifle.pdf

Last edited by L.E.; 12-13-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks, I may base my bullet selection around that. I'll try to hand load for it. People tell me these pre 64 Winchesters aren't exactly tack drivers. I hope they're wrong, and this gun didn't live a abusive life before I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 AM

I have one and the twist rate in the .308 is 1:10. I measured it when I started working on loads. I tried every load imaginable to get decent groups and it just never happened. I finally got an acceptable hunting load worked up. I believe between the action and trigger pull they just could not hold tight groups. A trigger job would help tremendously but you better make sure it is someone who knows what they are doing. Replacement parts are not easy to come by if they make a mistake. With that being said my Dad took to many a deer and elk with that rifle back in the day...

Last edited by Chunker; 12-15-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:54 AM

The best I've gotten out of this gun so far is around 2 inch group. It's not horrible, but I've shot AKs that'll create groups half that size or smaller.

It's a little discouraging when the eastern bloc bullet hose with trash ammo will out shoot a beautifully machined American classic with handloads. But it is, what it is.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
The best I've gotten out of this gun so far is around 2 inch group. It's not horrible, but I've shot AKs that'll create groups half that size or smaller.

It's a little discouraging when the eastern bloc bullet hose with trash ammo will out shoot a beautifully machined American classic with handloads. But it is, what it is.
I think that is about what I ended up with is 2 inch groups. That would be acceptable for most hunters but when you are use to cloverleafs from your bolt guns it just wouldn't do. I love the way it handles, the lever action and detachable mag. Nice carrying hunting rifle but I put her away long ago because I couldn't get decent and consistent groups with any combination I tried.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:41 PM

They are a nightmare to put back together if you don't know the sequence to take apart and put back together. It was John Browning's son, he also did the browning DBL Auto shotguns also. All are very complex inside.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:48 PM

My Best friend has a post 64 308 he bought back in the late 70's. The best it would shoot with factory ammo was 2.5"-3" groups at 100 yards.

The first thing we decided to do was a trigger job. It polished up easy enough but as catman2 referenced, it was a nightmare to reassemble. It took, making slave pins, 5 hands, much cursing, and a bit pf patience.

Next we glass bedded the stock...three times. Eventually deciding it liked the Remington "three point" bedding style.

When I started working up handloads for it, I discovered the chamber was very generous, with the action almost completely closing on the NO-GO gauge. I set the sizing die to just kiss the fired case shoulder enough to allow easy rechambering. Testing showed it preferred 150 gr bullets over 165 or 180 weights and also liked flat base bullets over any boat tail style tried. We settled on the Hornady 150 gr SP, loaded to magazine length, loaded with IMR 3031 powder. However, this ammo only worked in his model 88 and I never found another 308 this ammo would chamber in.

When it was all said and done, we got it shooting 3 shot groups around 1" with 5 shot groups always opening to 1.5" as the barrel heated up.

Over the years, he's taken over 30 whitetail at ranges of 10 yards to 300 yards. (resting to gun on my shoulder to take a nice sized doe on a power line) A few years ago, he decided the used value on the 88 was getting to high to risk it out in the field anymore and replaced it with a Ruger scout rifle.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Gun Free Zones = Free Kill Zones