1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I believe they call it an Experior extractor and it is internal, but what is an Experior Extractor as compared to a traditional extractor. I did not see anything in the video.
I'd bet its a traditional extractor, no different than a standard 1911.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
That's a tongue twister.
You got that right!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I'd bet its a traditional extractor, no different than a standard 1911.
Thought I read or heard on the video “Experior” extractor but just re-read and listened to the video again and it says a traditional 1911 extractor.

That what I get for reading it right after my nap.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I must say that I’m pretty satisfied with the Wilson’s that I have. More of a traditionalist although I do have an X9. Not seeing anything that makes me want to order a new gun and being retired that is a good thing.

Will be interested in shooting one to see how the grip treatment feels in the hand but am doubtful that it will be better than the X-tac, but still a nice option. Still prefer an aggressive checkering.

I am confident that the new line will be a good seller.

New models are not a bad thing as long as the old standards remain in place.
+1911.

I was about to write essentially the same thoughts, albeit without having experience with the more aggressive checkering, serrations, etc. added in recent years. I'm quite happy with my current stable of (old-time) Wilson 1911s ...and ARs.

If a lot of people favor newer treatments, that's also a good thing.

It may also increase future sub-forum interest and new threads, as people share their experiences, perspectives, etc. .... and of course asking and responding to the perpetual question of "which should I choose?".

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-10-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 PM

I’m in the “Wilson is releasing too many new models” boat, but I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch. I miss the days of classically-styled CQBs, Classics, and Protectors (the old Protectors). I find it interesting that Wilson is pushing this new Experior as basically being a decked out pistol with a ton of options out of the box. Didn’t they do that a few years ago when they revamped the Protector line?

I personally wish they would focus more on build quality - barrel fit, slide to frame fit, ball endmill cuts, rear sights that you can’t see light through, magwell fit, etc. I feel like they did some of these things better in the early 2000s and they are just pushing all kinds of new products and “innovations” (wave cuts on the frame rails.. really?)

And now, I fully expect to be bashed but this is how I truly feel having been one of the biggest Wilson Combat fans in the past and a previous owner of a few of their older 1911s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf7 View Post
I’m in the “Wilson is releasing too many new models” boat, but I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch. I miss the days of classically-styled CQBs, Classics, and Protectors (the old Protectors). I find it interesting that Wilson is pushing this new Experior as basically being a decked out pistol with a ton of options out of the box. Didn’t they do that a few years ago when they revamped the Protector line?

I personally wish they would focus more on build quality - barrel fit, slide to frame fit, ball endmill cuts, rear sights that you can’t see light through, magwell fit, etc. I feel like they did some of these things better in the early 2000s and they are just pushing all kinds of new products and “innovations” (wave cuts on the frame rails.. really?)

And now, I fully expect to be bashed but this is how I truly feel having been one of the biggest Wilson Combat fans in the past and a previous owner of a few of their older 1911s.

No bashing from me. +1911. Good input and words of wisdom as to why most of us are in the Wilson Combat camp. It was quality, not number of features, that first sold me on Wilson Combat. Build quality should always take priority over number of features, models, etc.

Hopefully Wilson can do both in this particular case, but your words of wisdom reflect an absolute priority IMHO.

Also, improvements are good if they really are improvements; but sometimes there can be a fine line between an improvement versus a planned obsolescence type of styling change. I don't think Wilson has crossed that fine line, but this possible concern merits attentive awareness in future design innovations.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budrichard View Post
What’s the difference between and EDC-X9 and Experior Compact Double Stack?

Experior:

Interior extractor
Frag pattern grip
Wide Cocking serrations
Magwell (may not be able to order without){someone needs to call and find out if magwell can be deleted}
Looks like a dovetail front sight as well, instead of the Glockish one of the EDC X9

Might make a difference if ya need to swap front sites
Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Then just buy their traditional models.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:31 PM

The double stack commander is fire
Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM

From my personal experience, I think Wilson isn't the great pistol it once was. I have had my troubles with a pistol lately. I tend to agree that Wilson is choosing quantity over quality and something is going to give. I am actually waiting on two Wilsons just to point out I am not just busting on Wilson. I will say the other day I told my wife I was buying another pistol and she said fine. Today she got around to asking what kind and I replied a Wilson. That got me the "are you stupid" look.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Looks like the double-stack compact has the same grip length as the Commander & 5-inch versions. Kinda weird IMO.

That 6-inch is a looker though (with the mile-long ball & carry cuts). Me likey.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:

The rear sight is intentional for a good reason, it only puts load/stress on a known point and it's much easier to change out and doesn't allow stupid stuff like the sight ejecting since the blend job loosened it up like on all my NHC and Kimbers. Wilson is the only pistol I've never have a sight issue and my carry has been dropped 8 times 4 of them on the sights with zero shift. Racked countless times off my belt, heel, walls, car doors, tables, ETC.

Wilson does it right with sights. I do agree the 2010-2013 guns are the glory days, my 2011 guns are so much better than current ones they objectively outclass modern supergrades in tightness, blend, sound, and finish since high gloss is not readily offered anymore.

However, even that said, my newer guns 2017 and up all work 100% and take whatever I throw at them. That's what I want in my hard use guns, if I want something fancy I'll get a nighthawk or Cabot. If I'm shooting I want a Wilson or Brown.

My carry comp is a 47500 round gun, lots of +P (like 5500 at least), some super, and has never failed me and I've run it so hard that I melted plastic parts a few times. It's literally my most reliable weapon and it was a 2011 build that was and is still my standard for how a 1911 should be built and I have a twin unfired one to serve as my "reference" handgun all others are compared to. Even at this round count it STILL has that "sound" of precision and even though the awe inspiring edge has worn off its superior starting point allows it to continue to compare favorably to new Wilsons.

NHC guns are tighter, smoother, better triggers, but are not consistently good gun to gun and most importantly do not run like a Wilson. However if your goal is simply a fantastic looking gun they nail it.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 12-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post

I do agree the 2010-2013 guns are the glory days, my 2011 guns are so much better than current ones they objectively outclass modern supergrades in tightness, blend, sound, and finish since high gloss is not readily offered anymore.

However, even that said, my newer guns 2017 and up all work 100% and take whatever I throw at them. That's what I want in my hard use guns, if I want something fancy I'll get a nighthawk or Cabot. If I'm shooting I want a Wilson or Brown.
All of my Wilson 1911s came from that approximate time period (2009 to 2014 in my case). So very interesting observations. Most of mine are SGs, but the non-SGs (Carry Comp and Hunter) are just as you've described (although I don't have a current build to use as a comparative reference point).

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-10-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Man I love my EDC X9. My only gripe about it was the external extractor, purely just an aesthetic thing for me. Looks like the eXperior compact double stack is the answer to that. Not sure I can justify having both when they are so very close to being the same. Sigh wish these hadn't of come out :|
Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 PM

I can't help but notice when Wilson makes a "big announcement" it's something new/different/interesting/innovative/high quality. When Glock makes a big announcement it's something they should have been building 25+ years ago...and just as ugly as all the rest.

Are these guns customizable or are they strictly "as is?" For example, if one wanted a blank slide or to omit the front serrations? And sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Completely customizable like any other model (except the ACP, those are generally ‘as-is’)
Old 12-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod View Post
From my personal experience, I think Wilson isn't the great pistol it once was. I have had my troubles with a pistol lately. I tend to agree that Wilson is choosing quantity over quality and something is going to give. I am actually waiting on two Wilsons just to point out I am not just busting on Wilson. I will say the other day I told my wife I was buying another pistol and she said fine. Today she got around to asking what kind and I replied a Wilson. That got me the "are you stupid" look.
First off, fair critique is a plus, so don't apologize for it. Anyone who takes offense to fair criticism over a vendor's guns is drinking too much Kool-aid because every manufactures has proes and con's and there isn't one on the planet which is perfect.

There is a concern over the number of models in my mind also concerning maintaining quality. But one thing we can rest assure, at least as long as Bill runs the company, they will always make any problem's "right" and stand behind a lifetime warranty.

The problem I have, is that many of these so called "innovations" are just different configurations and trim of the same basic model. They have had many examples of world class innovation like the 45 acp Flat-Wire magazines, and the X9 just to name two, and even the Xtac trim to some degree. But I wouldn't call this offering very innovative. Actually, for us shooting mostly 45, it is basically a non-event as these reliability enhancements which may be useful for 9mm are not needed for a 45 1911.

To put it in marketing terms, this offering USP (unique selling proposition) is basically the Trak's grip texture (for grip enhancement's), and wave frame rail (for reliability enhancements), and an standard 1911 extractor...I already have a 1911 extractor on all my WC gun's, the Wave-Frame isn't needed on a properly fitted 1911 in 45, and if I already have the Xtac grip, why would I ever want one these gun's? The USP is just not working for me.

I'd like to see some true innovation for the 45 community, which is still the most popular carry-gun by a wide margin in the enthusiast community. How about a high-cap magazine? How about innovated recoil reduction method's? How about an island mounted barrel sight? Etc?...How many times can they change the grip texture and call it innovative? ;-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-11-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 AM

Sounds like I need to be patient for a bit and wait for the glut of EDC X9s to hit the used market instead of buying a new one soon.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Experior:

Interior extractor
Frag pattern grip
Wide Cocking serrations
Magwell (may not be able to order without){someone needs to call and find out if magwell can be deleted}

Adding more differences:

Front sight not user changable (mentioned above)
Traditional slide shape (not tri-topped like X9)
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM

In regards to the Magwell, it does seem to be reasonably easy to remove.

I know on the EDC X9 updates vid on the YouTube channel they strongly implied it was better to just order your x9 with the well and remove it (for $80) if you might want it rather then send your well-less gun in for the $200 upgrade.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:53 AM

It may be something that takes off. But at a minimum, Wilson Combat is at risk of Watering Down the Brand.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Everybody is trying to scratch out a niche in a crowded market. Wilson is the biggest of the "semi custom" manufacturers and is leading the way to more and more subdivisions of the catalog.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 AM

I just received my X-TAC a little while ago and that one has grown on me so I have to wonder what the new grip is like. I also purchased an EDC X9L earlier and as such have no plans at this point of replacing or upgrading either. Although the grip pattern on the two are the same I find it is a bit more agressive on the XTAC.

I also wonder how much improvement this new rail system really is.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:49 AM

So if the experior has an interior extractor does that make a exterior extractor inferior??
Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
So if the experior has an interior extractor does that make a exterior extractor inferior??
It has always been inferior