Winchester 94 rear sight - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 PM

Winchester 94 rear sight

Does anyone have any experience with this rear sight?

http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

I'd like to get away from the buckhorn. I've seen the XS but don't want to replace the front. Also the adjustments on the XS seem crude.

Last edited by mark2734; 11-19-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM

I don't have any experience with that sight but I am a big fan of peep sights. Here is another option to consider -on both of my Winchester Trappers I just put the sight in a vise and filed the "horns" off and ended up with a flat topped rear sight to match up with the flat topped front sight. It works well and costs nothing and my sight picture is now the same as my handguns and it is easier to fine tune elevation. But a peep is probably faster for most folks.

Last edited by drail; 11-19-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I don't have any experience with that sight but I am a big fan of peep sights. Here is another option to consider -on both of my Winchester Trappers I just put the sight in a vise and filed the "horns" off and ended up with a flat topped rear sight to match up with the flat topped front sight. It works well and costs nothing and my sight picture is now the same as my handguns and it is easier to fine tune elevation. But a peep is probably faster for most folks.
That's a thought. The big issue for me is my eyes are getting worse and I have a hard time seeing the front through that tiny notch in the rear. I just lost the elevator for the rear so when I order a new elevator I might just order a whole rear and experiment before spending $80.

I'm thinking beside filing it flat I could also "U" shape the notch for a little more depth and width.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 02:21 PM

The Skinner sights are a quality item.
A lot of Marlin 39 owners really like them.

The Skinner is much smaller and less intrusive then the standard Lyman or Williams receiver sight, but doesn't adjust as easily as the standard type receiver sights do.

This is usually not an issue because most people sight in the rifle and never have to change the settings.

If your eyes are getting old, the aperture receiver sight is the way to go if you're staying with iron sights.
The Skinner would be far better then any barrel mounted sight, no matter how you modify it.

As an experiment, get some sheet brass or steel, bend it in an "L" shape and tape it to the barrel where the rear fight is.
Height is not important, this is just an experimental sight to try out, so all it has to be is slightly taller then the sight that's on the barrel now.
File it to how you think it will work including a notch, paint it flat black and see how it works.
Now take the same type sheet metal and punch a hole in it. Tape it to the receiver and take a look.
The receiver experimental sight will work much better and the front sight will appear to be much sharper.

Of course, depending on how your Model 94 is set up, you could buy a Williams receiver sight for less then the excellent Skinner.
Depending on your receiver, you would need a version that mounts on the side, or one that mounts to scope mount holes on top of the receiver.
Some of the Williams receiver top mount sights are very compact.

Last edited by dfariswheel; 11-19-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:55 PM

I opened up the rear notch on mine small amount but with the thin front sight you're kind of limited. But at least now when I line up the top of the rear and top of the front I can hit what I need to most of the time. Elevation is right on the money out to 100 yards.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Thank you both for your input

I'm trying to get a better sight picture without going to a Lyman or Williams. I've seen both in person and both are way too bulky for this 92, it's a short barrel Trapper.

Also this rifle has some sentimental value so I don't want to do any real permanent changes to it.

I've used peep sights since my time in the Corps so I know how that works, and yes it would be superior to any barrel mounted sight. I've used rifle sighted 870s for almost as long and know the drawbacks of that system as well.

In the end I'm thinking I'll just go with the Skinner and get it over with. After Santa takes care of Christmas that is.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:34 PM

I have this sight on a Rossi 92 and really like it. I believe it will fit your 94, but you can find out for sure from Marbles.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532
Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
I have this sight on a Rossi 92 and really like it. I believe it will fit your 94, but you can find out for sure from Marbles.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532
OK this changes everything. It retains the look of the original rifle and offers what looks like a useful upgrade. Plus I went to their webpage and they have ivory and gold bead fronts to match.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Be aware that aperture rear sights only work well when the aperture is very close to the eye.
Aperture sights that are on the barrel don't work nearly as well and probably won't be much better then the standard notch sight you have.

Before buying make up a "try" sight from metal sheet as I described above.
This time, punch a hole in it and mount it to the barrel.
That way you can see for yourself how well it'll work for you before dropping any money.

Last edited by dfariswheel; 11-21-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
Be aware that aperture rear sights only work well when the aperture is very close to the eye.
Aperture sights that are on the barrel don't work nearly as well and probably won't be much better then the standard notch sight you have.

Before buying make up a "try" sight from metal sheet as I described above.
This time, punch a hole in it and mount it to the barrel.
That way you can see for yourself how well it'll work for you before dropping any money.
Thanks, I may give this a try. I will probable go with the gold bead front, right now I have a dab of red paint on the skinny front sight and it helps.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:49 PM

I like the sight well enough I may need another ‘94 just to try it. Bill installed the tang mounted peep on a gun for me earlier this year. I love it.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 PM

I prefer Ranger Point Precision rear peep sights to Skinners (I have both). But I see that RPP does not carry rear sights for the '94.