Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Bug out?? How many of you have been outside overnight in a Wisconsin winter? No thanks, I will stay home and defend the Alamo. If it is time to go, I choose to go here, but whoever thinks it will be easy to overrun is in for a surprise.

I live in the country. All the talk about bugging out and living off the land is funny. Even the best hunters that are very familiar with an area get skunked on a regular basis. Squirrels and rabbits can be plentiful some years and not so much the next.

I can see having an escape plan if you live in a city. But don't plan on coming out to the country as a stranger and expect to live off the land or the people that live there.

Have a destination that is stocked with supplies that you can lay low and defend if need be.
That's basically what I said very early in this discussion. If several million guys suddenly "head for the hills" thinking they can just live off the land and hunt deer for awhile they're in for a very nasty surprise. What little wild game there is will all be slaughtered or driven away within a matter of weeks, and in no time all of these backwoods survivalists will be gunning for each other. No matter which way you slice it, if we have a complete breakdown of society and no law & order things will get very ugly real fast. As goofy as The Walking Dead is at times, one of the few good things about it is that it shows a pretty accurate portrayal of how people will likely behave in a post-apocalyptic world.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win3030 View Post
What scope is that? That's a nice package.
Thanks. It's a US Optics MR10 1.8-10 x 37 on a Bobro qd mount.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM

Save me from the stinkin' ARs and the middling .223!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 AM

I've thought about this often and have different plans based on scenario.
My most minimalistic, versatile and current bugout setup is my Ruger PC9 carbine...The PC9 has a red dot mounted and irons...I'd also be grabbing my Beretta 92FS...Both weapons use the same mag...
Bug-Out bag consists of:
10 15rd mags loaded 50/50 ball/defense (150 rds)
250rd box of 115gr
250rd box of 124gr
100rds of nice defense ammo
4X Nikon P-223 optic w/mount, exposed turrets and flip caps. It's zeroed for the carbine and ready to mount with no tools.
3 Slings. You can use slings for a lot of medical and survival "stuff"!
9mm Bore Snake
Small bottle of homemade AP weapon lube (4:1 Mobile1 5w20:Honda ZR1 tranny fluid)
Flashlight w/ spare batteries for FL & Red Dot
Medium size first aid kit augmented with 3 military issue pressure bandages and a bunch of Q-tips.
Leatherman and a small tool kit.
Around 36lbs out-the-door...
If 750 9mm rounds can't get me to more ammo, I didn't have a shot in the first place...It would be nice to have a round with some more power and length, but I can be minute of groundhog lethal at 100 yards in with the irons and dot, and g-to-g at 150 yards+ with the Nikon on there. Odds are none of this will ever be needed for its' staged purpose, but it's fun to plan and adjust.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM

This is a bug out rifle. And vehicle.

The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzLNC-strf0

I'm thinking a .308 minigun in the back of my NV200 mini cargo van at the back door and maybe something like SAWs or similar at the side doors might work. Add a sunroof and a MK19 Grenade Launcher for the passenger to run.

Otherwise, I'm staying home, manning a shooting position and eating all the things I'm not supposed to eat since I'm going to die anyway.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway67 View Post
I've thought about this often and have different plans based on scenario.
My most minimalistic, versatile and current bugout setup is my Ruger PC9 carbine...The PC9 has a red dot mounted and irons...I'd also be grabbing my Beretta 92FS...Both weapons use the same mag...
Bug-Out bag consists of:
10 15rd mags loaded 50/50 ball/defense (150 rds)
250rd box of 115gr
250rd box of 124gr
100rds of nice defense ammo
4X Nikon P-223 optic w/mount, exposed turrets and flip caps. It's zeroed for the carbine and ready to mount with no tools.
3 Slings. You can use slings for a lot of medical and survival "stuff"!
9mm Bore Snake
Small bottle of homemade AP weapon lube (4:1 Mobile1 5w20:Honda ZR1 tranny fluid)
Flashlight w/ spare batteries for FL & Red Dot
Medium size first aid kit augmented with 3 military issue pressure bandages and a bunch of Q-tips.
Leatherman and a small tool kit.
Around 36lbs out-the-door...
If 750 9mm rounds can't get me to more ammo, I didn't have a shot in the first place...It would be nice to have a round with some more power and length, but I can be minute of groundhog lethal at 100 yards in with the irons and dot, and g-to-g at 150 yards+ with the Nikon on there. Odds are none of this will ever be needed for its' staged purpose, but it's fun to plan and adjust.
Food, water, toilet paper???
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 PM

That's a different bag...lol...
Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It is indeed ironic that a lot of guys will spend thousands of dollars on the "perfect" bug-out rifle even though they themselves have a ton of health issues ranging from high blood pressure to obesity. If you're really serious about bugging out long-term you need to either do something about you health or else figure out how you're going to mitigate it with no doctors around. But then again I guess it's more fun to talk about short ARs than Lisinopril tablets.
The cardiologists do love their pills, don't they?

If I had it to do over again I would have lived to keep from having to ever meet one!

The crash diet and enforced exercise regime will fix (or at least reduce) both in short order. There won't be any bacon egg & cheese biscuits from Hardees, but lots of fiber and cardio. The weight loss and conditioning will do wonders for the blood pressure.

Other health issues could be more problematic...

I think a .357 Mag lever gun and revolver would be a good setup.

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-26-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 PM

My little Rossi M92 Trapper in .357 is a sweetheart to shoot in .357 or .38, and to carry. Of my .357 revolvers, the S&W 65 is a pretty good all around sidearm companion piece. Both together won’t weigh you down and both perform well. If you would expect to be shooting 125 grain full mag loads out of the revolver for a many thousands of round count in a post fan scenario you’re doing something very wrong and having really bad tactics. But if Mad Max is whispering in your ear to plan on it. Get an L Frame or GP100. Otherwise the fixed sight, stainless, 4” revolver is a carry all day duty gun.

My question is do you keep a rifle and a quantity of ammo you can grab handy? If so, that is your bug out rifle. If you have an AR house gun and a bag or pouch system of loaded mags you can sling over a shoulder or carry on you in some fashion, that is probably your best choice for a bug out rifle for the same reasons it’s your bug in rifle.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 01-27-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typos