Bug out rifle? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Bug out rifle?

I guess I have thought to much about this but everyone has to have a plan. My thoughts about having to suddenly hit the path and leave everything behind but a backpack and rifle got me to thinking just what that rifle may be. After careful thought I have decided it would be a scoped semi auto .22 rifle with scope and as much ammo as I could carry. Ought to be able to pic off whatever I want out to about 100 yards. Stealth and the ability to scavenge off of my intended targets ought to carry me till something bad happens to me. The ability to carry lots of ammo led me to this decision. Anyone else have ideas about a crap hitting the fan scenario?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Really depends on bug out scenario. Social unrest, zombies, nuclear, et al ... Iím sure given time we could discuss merits of one gun over the other for each scenario. Do I have a vehicle? Or did a EMP take out everything? Can I only take one?

But if I had to bug out and I could only take one it would be my CZ Scorpion, fitted with a nice red dot ... minute of man at 100 yards, compact, and Iíve got a few rounds stored away.

Iíd be torn not to take my AR though ... certainly better stopping power and ammo weight isnít that bad compared to 9mm.

Tough choice
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM

This thread should do well. My pick would be a 14.5 LWRC, M-6 (piston), AR-15 with a 1x6 variable, or an Aimpoint red-dot. 556 ammo is cheap and plentiful, and if a fight is in the cards, a real gun is better than a 22 rimfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 PM

If its going to be buggin out, get a 5.56. Its large enough for just about anything youíll likely run across. I personally would go with either my AR-10 or 15. If I go with my 10, I can swap uppers to a 5.56 should the need arise. Otherwise, a 5.56 is a hard option to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 PM

It would be a hard choice for me. I love my .22 bolt action, and the fact you can carry a ton of ammo without much weight for .22 makes it ideal. Then again I would also love to have an AR-15 or even my 12 gauge just for the versatility.

I guess if this is a scenario where I'm going to have to scavenge off the land I'll choose my pump 12 gauge. It's the gun I know the best and have taken many game with it.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 AM

Have to go with a AR15 type in 5.56. Closest we'll ever get to "zombies" would be like the type in "Legend" or 28 Days, some kind of raver virus destroying higher functions in the brain. Your still left with dealing with full size adult body mass so a 22 ain't doing the job, if anything 5.56 might be to small a round
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 AM

Ruger 10/22 takedown is a great candidate. It's my choice and the only .22lr gun I have that can take full advantage of the zip of CCI velociters and stingers.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 AM

.223 ammo is light and plentiful. AR is easy to carry. Depending on terrain, I think the AR 15 is hard to argue against.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:22 PM

It might be my Noveske.

Pretty light and has a Leupold VX-6 1-6 on it. Fairly useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Noveske 002.JPG  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Depending on the circumstances, if just for survival I'd probably take these Keltec's, 22WRM, light, use the same mags and you could haul a lot of ammo. If something dictated heavier gear maybe a Ruger PC9 takedown & M&P.
Attached Thumbnails
Keltecs.jpg  
Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM

5.56/.223. I'd take the rifle I built.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM

I could use this and be fine

Old 11-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Yeah, something in the M16/AR-15 family would be best. ACOG for an optic. Zero it properly and learn the reticle. The modularity of the system will be helpful as you can swap out any problem parts easily with the gobs and gobs of parts and complete rifles that are sure to be everywhere. Consider a 22 conversion kit or similar solution if you must have a rimfire for game getting and hush puppy duty.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Why would anyone bugout and leave the safety of their home AND leave their home susceptible to looters???

Social unrest??? Nope....ain't leaving.

Zombies??? Nope... ain't leaving. Got enough ammo to kill almost 100,000 of em.

Bugout to where???? Sorry. Dumb idea.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Why would anyone bugout and leave the safety of their home AND leave their home susceptible to looters???

Defending a fort will get you nothing but dead if enough are after you. Sometimes you have to be mobile and lite. That was why my statement about .22 lr and carrying lots of ammo.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:41 PM

As said above a 10/22 is perfect. I have 36,000 rounds I got in the 80's @ $5 for a 500 round brick at wally world...
Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 PM

I already live where I would have bugged out to.

Secure home, plenty of ammo, plenty of food.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Been there and done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I already live where I would have bugged out to.

Secure home, plenty of ammo, plenty of food.
I am with Otto, My wife and I are not going anywhere.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:36 PM

Need to get a sling, and I'm pretty sure an EMP would take out my red dot, hence the backup iron sights. I can't run, too old to fight, sooo... Log home should be pretty defensible.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1136.JPG  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I am with Otto, My wife and I are not going anywhere.
A chemical spill, radioactive event, or the wrong storm might change that.

It is good to have options and contingency plans.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
A chemical spill, radioactive event, or the wrong storm might change that.

It is good to have options and contingency plans.

Or simply a fire would suffice. I donít plan on leaving either, but contingency plans should be standard protocol.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 AM

Being surrounded by over a million acres of national forrest land, fire would be my most likely 'bug out' scenario .......... I'm not picking ONE to take with me, they are All coming along!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Agreed. With my health issues I'm not going anywhere. I'll die defending the fort.

This question needs a clear definition of destination. If you have a bug out location then you need something to fight your way there. If you are packing up and leaving forever with no destination then you need to think long term.

For the long term the 10/22 with a few bricks makes more sense. Mainly the ability to take small game without destroying much meat. And lets face it. If you are being shot at with a 22lr or a 556 you are going to look for cover. Anybody care to charge me while I'm doing a mag dump with a 22? Didn't think so.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Agreed. With my health issues I'm not going anywhere. I'll die defending the fort.

This question needs a clear definition of destination. If you have a bug out location then you need something to fight your way there. If you are packing up and leaving forever with no destination then you need to think long term.

For the long term the 10/22 with a few bricks makes more sense. Mainly the ability to take small game without destroying much meat. And lets face it. If you are being shot at with a 22lr or a 556 you are going to look for cover. Anybody care to charge me while I'm doing a mag dump with a 22? Didn't think so.

Ill just stay out of range and plug you with a 308 and call it a day. No need to charge anything. 22lr is not and ideal defensive weapon, and has very limited capabilities for taking down enemy combatants.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Exactly. And many times its assumed just one gun.....Why would I be limited to just one? At home I have lots of options, on the road, not so much. The "Road Warrior" I am not.