308 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 10:22 AM

I'm in the market for a solid, reliable 308 rifle. Being somewhat new to the world of firearms (and diving in head first this past year) I'm weighing my options and looking for Input. If I didn't live in CT, I'd pony up the bucks and go for a scar 17 without any afterthought, but alas, it's unfortunately not an option here. Between an AR-10 style rifle and an M1a what's your opinion for general purposes, reliability and SHTF usefulness?
Old 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM

My most recent purchase was a .308 rifle.

A Browning lever action rifle in .308 to be more precise. I have a bunch of .308 rifles including bolt guns and semi autos. This is my first lever gun in .308. And I am liking it quite a bit. The magazine only holds four rounds but you can get spares and change them out quickly if the need arises. The use of a box magazine allows for the use of spitzer type bullets. And it should pass muster even in Connecticut.

You can check them out here.

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...roduction.html
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02624.JPG  
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 AM

While I do enjoy the wood and steel rifles, the ar design would be easier to adapt to you liking. And the with the advances lately, an AR-10 would be lighter. Either one can be an accurate, reliable rifle.

Since AR-10's aren't standardized, there will always be some proprietary parts to each one. That's similar to the M1A but there are more parts available for the M1A.

I have one 308 ar and a M1A. Nostalgia wise, the M1A is a joy to shoot. However, if I had to use one of the two for serious purposes, I'd take the ar.

While I'm in a free state and could own a SCAR, I've also been looking at the POF Revolution lately but there are lots of other quality 308 ar's out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM

If you want the perfect combination of power, nostalgia, ruggedness, reliability, good looks, sleek lines, and manly disposition, then it's the FAL!!!!! Four out of five African war lords agree: when the chips are down and there's mayhem, pillaging, and destruction to be had in unforgiving terrain, it's hard to beat the FAL.

It's not just the right arm of the free world, but at one time or another, it accounted for most of the rest of the anatomy of freedom as well!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u6.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	567442

The AR-10..... well, MEH!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Agreed about the FN-FAL.

I am pretty fond of my Belgian model. But I am thinking that it might be problematic for the OP as he stated that he is in Connecticut.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01962.JPG  
Old 11-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I am pretty fond of my Belgian model. But I am thinking that it might be problematic for the OP as he stated that he is in Connecticut.
Damn!!! Good point. Hard to believe that CT was once at the heart of our cradle of freedom. How far we've fallen!!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Quote:
Damn!!! Good point. Hard to believe that CT was once at the heart of our cradle of freedom. How far we've fallen!!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG]

Right! The state has fallen far from where it used to be. We are allowed preban thought. I wonder if a preban FAL is an option, as it's a great idea. One I forgot about!
Old 11-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30CalFan View Post
While I do enjoy the wood and steel rifles, the ar design would be easier to adapt to you liking. And the with the advances lately, an AR-10 would be lighter. Either one can be an accurate, reliable rifle.

Since AR-10's aren't standardized, there will always be some proprietary parts to each one. That's similar to the M1A but there are more parts available for the M1A.

I have one 308 ar and a M1A. Nostalgia wise, the M1A is a joy to shoot. However, if I had to use one of the two for serious purposes, I'd take the ar.

While I'm in a free state and could own a SCAR, I've also been looking at the POF Revolution lately but there are lots of other quality 308 ar's out there.
I basically read the response as get both! Start with the ar10, but get both. I'm going to read it that way, because I think that's what I want to do! Lol
Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Another vote for FAL. For some idiotic reason I sold mine. I did get a nice fnar that is stupid accurate.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:46 PM

I would have to go against the grain on this one. The FAL is a good battle rifle, but in my opinion the AR308 family has a lot more going for it these days. Lots of options, rugged, reliable accurate and a manual of arms that's hard to beat. I would look at options from Springfield Armory, DPMS, Ruger, etc. Among the best bangs for the buck is the Ruger SR762 piston gun, if you can find one. They may have discontinued it. Considerably less than a SCAR17 and built and outfitted quite nicely. Not sure if it meets the CT pre ban requirement.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 11-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I would have to go against the grain on this one. The FAL is a good battle rifle, but in my opinion the AR308 family has a lot more going for it these days. Lots of options, rugged, reliable accurate and a manual of arms that's hard to beat. I would look at options from Springfield Armory, DPMS, Ruger, etc. Among the best bangs for the buck is the Ruger SR762 piston gun, if you can find one. They may have discontinued it. Considerably less than a SCAR17 and built and outfitted quite nicely. Not sure if it meets the CT pre ban requirement.
I appreciate your input. We have pretty few options short of preban. AOWs (pistol brace, foregrip, ect) are currently "legal" and there's only a few manufacturers making them in a ct compliant configuration. LWRC is our best option for AR308 here.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM

I am not going to dispute anything that you have stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I have both, a Belgian FN-FAL and a S&W AR-10 M&P. If it makes any difference. The FN is much more pleasant to shoot if you consider muzzle blast as something to consider. They are both good guns. I think that you would be well served by either one. But going into it I would likely opt for the FN. The weight is about the same, and nothing is ever going to break.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXK View Post
I'm in the market for a solid, reliable 308 rifle...Between an AR-10 style rifle and an M1a what's your opinion for general purposes, reliability and SHTF usefulness?
I think the AR-10 best fits the criteria you stated because the AR-10 is highly customizable with after-market options. For SHTF scenarios, I see the AR-10 a better option because the M1A is long and frickin' heavy making the rifle a tad unwieldy. You might improve that with the versions with shorter barrels and synthetic stocks.

I own a CMP Special M1 Garand re-barreled for 308. While it is not an M1A the characteristics are close enough to give me an idea of what it would be like to run around with an M1A. I was going to mount a scope on my M1 but realized after installing the rail and scope rings, the scope would sit a little high, which detracts from ergonomics. I decided to leave my M1 as-is.

I also own an Aero Precision AR-10 in 7.62/308. I'm about to mount a Primary Arms 1-6x24 ACSS scope for hog hunting. My AR-10 is very reliable and accuracy is very good for its purpose. It definitely is not a rifle suited for precision shooting. But the Aero Precision might be a good option for you and costs 1/3 of a LWRC.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Quote:
I'm in the market for a solid, reliable 308 rifle...Between an AR-10 style rifle and an M1a what's your opinion for general purposes, reliability and SHTF usefulness?
I think the AR-10 best fits the criteria you stated because the AR-10 is highly customizable with after-market options. For SHTF scenarios, I see the AR-10 a better option because the M1A is long and frickin' heavy making the rifle a tad unwieldy. You might improve that with the versions with shorter barrels and synthetic stocks.

I own a CMP Special M1 Garand re-barreled for 308. While it is not an M1A the characteristics are close enough to give me an idea of what it would be like to run around with an M1A. I was going to mount a scope on my M1 but realized after installing the rail and scope rings, the scope would sit a little high, which detracts from ergonomics. I decided to leave my M1 as-is.

I also own an Aero Precision AR-10 in 7.62/308. I'm about to mount a Primary Arms 1-6x24 ACSS scope for hog hunting. My AR-10 is very reliable and accuracy is very good for its purpose. It definitely is not a rifle suited for precision shooting. But the Aero Precision might be a good option for you and costs 1/3 of a LWRC.
I appreciate your input, and the input from everyone else you stopped by to offer a hand. I'll look into the aero precision ar10!
Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 PM

I don't think they're technically considered AOWs. If I understand it, and I may be completely wrong, AOW's require the tax stamp and some type of registry, right? Because the items you are talking about (they seem to be strictly a CT thing) are simply called "firearms" they are neither pistol nor rifle so it's almost the same thing as an AOW but you walk out with the firearm that day. Part of me says go for it, but part of me also says that one day someone will get wise to the "loophole" and then it'll be illegal to own.

If you are so inclined, something Pre-ban is a great bet for us in CT because the prices are universal. For example, every free state offers the stuff we aren't allowed to buy at reasonable prices so we have things like these "firearms" that are kind of the same but a couple hundred bucks more...the preban (FAL, AR, AK, etc.) can be had via online brokers so the price will be in line with any other state, as long as it's a fair price to begin with.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 AM

I have several 308/7.62 semi's, FALs, AR10's, HK91s & a SCAR but still my favorites are my M1A's. My least favorite is the SCAR, at least the HK's and the Belgian FAL's have some collector value. The AR10's are ok but I just don't like the spring in my ear.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
I don't think they're technically considered AOWs. If I understand it, and I may be completely wrong, AOW's require the tax stamp and some type of registry, right? Because the items you are talking about (they seem to be strictly a CT thing) are simply called "firearms" they are neither pistol nor rifle so it's almost the same thing as an AOW but you walk out with the firearm that day. Part of me says go for it, but part of me also says that one day someone will get wise to the "loophole" and then it'll be illegal to own.

If you are so inclined, something Pre-ban is a great bet for us in CT because the prices are universal. For example, every free state offers the stuff we aren't allowed to buy at reasonable prices so we have things like these "firearms" that are kind of the same but a couple hundred bucks more...the preban (FAL, AR, AK, etc.) can be had via online brokers so the price will be in line with any other state, as long as it's a fair price to begin with.
I inappropriately used the term AOW in place of "other". You're right. Sorry for the mistake. I also fear that the loop hole will be closed eventually too. The issue with preban has been price. It's hard to justify the extreme asking prices here in state, but I will look into finding a preban in a free state for transfer. That's a great idea.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I have several 308/7.62 semi's, FALs, AR10's, HK91s & a SCAR but still my favorites are my M1A's. My least favorite is the SCAR, at least the HK's and the Belgian FAL's have some collector value. The AR10's are ok but I just don't like the spring in my ear.
Really?! It seems lots of recommendations are leaning FAL. May I ask what it is about the scar that you find less appealing?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I have both, a Belgian FN-FAL and a S&W AR-10 M&P. If it makes any difference. The FN is much more pleasant to shoot if you consider muzzle blast as something to consider. They are both good guns. I think that you would be well served by either one. But going into it I would likely opt for the FN. The weight is about the same, and nothing is ever going to break.
I certainly agree he will be served well with either. Muzzle blast however is not in my opinion a result of one type vs the other. The typical FAL with 21" barrel would certainly be more pleasant than a 16" 308 of any variety. And the muzzle device has much to do with it as well. My old FAL and my DPMS TAC20 (both long gone) with standard flash hiders were about equal in regards to muzzle blast. No one that ever shot both complained about it. My TAC20 was far superior regarding accuracy and scope mounting. My current TM308 is also a very accurate AR308 and is a joy to shoot and carry. Especially with its folding stock. I would like another FAL for my collection, but I demand better accuracy than the last few I have shot.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Really?! It seems lots of recommendations are leaning FAL. May I ask what it is about the scar that you find less appealing?
Mostly ascetics, they are perfectly functional and reliable but the SCAR is a tinny rattly thing, kind of like what I don't like about AR's only more.

Commenting on one of the above posts, I have an Armalite AR-10 carbine (16") and that thing is kind of unpleasant to shoot, it has a lot of recoil with that light weight. On the other hand I have a couple of SOCOM 16's that are quite enjoyable to shoot.
Then I have a couple of LWRC REPR's that are pleasant to shoot but very heavy.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, I don't live in a free state, so I understand what you are saying. I have an AR10 style rifle (PA10 actually), an M14 style (Standard and "Tanker"), and Garands(Standard and "Tanker").
The AR pattern rifle has a heavier barrel, so it doesn't balance well. Too nose heavy. But it's easier to make accurate. But living in Kommifornia, it has to be put together in a weird way to be legal. It's actually heavier than my M14s.
I prefer the M14s, since the balance better. I can scope them. Their, and the Garand's, wood and steel doesn't look quite as intimidating as the black rifle AR. I'm starting to prefer the "Tanker" M14 the most.
I really like the Garands. No detachable mags, so they aren't looked on as really "bad"...........yet. Downside is that they can't be easily scoped.
If one is limited to 10 Rd mags, as many people are, there's not really a whole lot of difference between the Garand's 8 Rd en Bloc and the 10 Rd mags of other rifles.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 11-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
If one is limited to 10 Rd mags, as many people are, there's not really a whole lot of difference between the Garand's 8 Rd en Bloc and the 10 Rd mags of other rifles.
The difference is that you can buy 20 clips for the cost of 1 M1A Magazine!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM

I would take an HK/PTR91 or StG.58 over anything else.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:13 AM

New guy chiming in here. Having relatives stuck behind the lines in CT I can relate to your predicament. I'd go to a range and try a few out to see what suits you best if you can test ride some of the choices out there.

Are you looking for a range toy, hunting, etc? Does length matter? Are you going to mount optics for short, medium, long ranges?

I've got quite a lot of experience with most of the rifles listed above by the other guys. As far as one that could do all of the above I'd have to say an AR10 for versality. Lots of options for scopes, you can always throw in a JP recoil system to get rid of the twang, lots of trigger, stock, forend options. The FAL has always been one of my favorites but it's lacking for a decent optics mount in my opinion. The M1A series are timeless, like the AR10 there are many easily customizable components. You can go SOCOM, Match, etc. If semi-auto isn't your thing there are a gazillion different models out there, like the scout rifle for instance, I've got a Ruger Gunsite Scout thats pretty fun.

In the end it's going to come down to availability and how much you want to spend. But if you're going to do something I'd get it started now when you have the chance. Good luck!