caspian frame/mag release issue - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 12:19 AM

caspian frame/mag release issue

first time building 1911.. Using a Caspian frame and the hole for the mag release is about .020'' smaller than the od of the EGW mag release I have.. How do you address this ?? File down the mag release or open the hole in the frame?
Old 10-27-2019, 04:16 AM

Exactly what is not fitting?

Trying from the left side of the frame, does the mag catch button fit the hole? Installing from the right side, how far does it go before it stops?

On a couple of Caspian frames, I've had to clean up the magazine catch holes. The diameter along the main length of the holes was ok. There was just some form of flanging right at the frame surface, with some metal extending into the hole. I've seen this on some of the various pin holes also.

I removed this burr-like flanging with 400 silicon carbide paper wrapped around the solid end of a drill bit. It's important to remove only the flanged metal, and not enlarge the hole proper itself. This also includes the slot that extends rearward from the right frame hole. Also important to not round off the two corners where the slot meets the hole. Since the mag catch sits flush with the surface, any mismatch between the mag catch and hole will be easily visible.

Springfield, Colt, and Caspian mag catches all fit after cleaning up the hole on the right side of the frame. I don't have an EGW part to try, but can't imagine it being that much larger than others.

If the right side frame hole really is undersized, I would not try to drill it out. The bit will try to walk into the slot. The hole on the left side could be drilled out if necessary, but it must remain concentric with the hole on the inside, and also leave the shoulder inside at proper spec. This shoulder is where the hole steps down in diameter. The mag catch comes to rest on this shoulder, and there's not much there even when correct.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 10-27-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your time and response

I have the EGW part and I took another mag release out of a Dan Wesson and tried it in the Caspian and it too wouldn't fit.

Correction: I measured the hole poorly, the difference is only a thou or so... Don't know how I managed such a poor measurement.. At any rate the magazine releases, up to 3 now, that I've tried, won't go.. Guess a little paper work in required.

Thank you for your time and help !!! you gave me a critical look at this little issue, I needed to slow down and look a little more closely..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 12:41 PM

What I learned here is to take nothing for granted... Close inspection showed where to remove a bit of material.. Then had to work on the back of the mag release to get magazines to fall freely..

Seems like ever part needs close attention to get right...

Thank you for addressing what seemed to be such a trivial matter..
Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 PM

Glad to help, and to hear you got the part fitted.

I have also found that there are very few parts that are truly "drop in".

-