WC Handgun Recommendations - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 AM

WC Handgun Recommendations

Looking into getting my first WC and 1911. Would be used for range, maybe some classes and HD. Won’t be carried since I live in NJ.

Looking for:
No more than $3,600
9mm
4.25” to 5” barrel
Black steel
No wood grips
At least rear serrations
Maybe a rail
I wear a small or medium glove and weigh 170lbs

I’ve been all over the website and my head spins with all the choices so that’s why I’m looking for some help.

And what does it mean when you go to the WC store and a gun isn’t listed? It’s currently not available? You have to build it from scratch? Something else?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 06:39 AM

Range says 5"er...If you will also use it for Home Defense, get the rail option.

9mm to me means you don't need a compensator, especially if you go with a 5" slide (and especially, especially if it has a rail :-)). If the 9mm models come with a bull or flange barrel you can add that to the build also (further reducing recoil).

Small to med hands says medium trigger length (maybe even short, but I've never tried a short). They come standard with long triggers, and when I started out didn't know any better, but later learned a med trigger works a bit better for my medium hands and will only buy guns now with a medium.

You will have to decide what kind of sights you want. There are so many choices. What are you shooting now, what kind of sights, how do you like them? What kind of shooting do you mostly do at the range?

Beyond that I don't have much of an opinion for you (most of this comes to personal choice), but others will - so stay tuned :-).

If you don't see a gun in their store which fits your needs, yes you can build it from scratch.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-16-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 AM

I felt the same way at first and it took more than a few times and a bit of reading of a few descriptions before getting it. It does help to understand the differences between the various sizes, models, and categories. Supergrade and Pinacle being level of build with regard to time, expertise of craftsman that will build it with number of options or Elite being just number of options. Basic different models such as Classic, Tactical, CQB, XTAC, and Texas BBQ which all them still being just 1911s which come with a certain set of preconfigured options by default.

Hopefully I was somewhat accurate in describing how they do things and made it a bit more understandable. But it did take more more than a few visits before it began to click. But it also helped to not only to take a look more than once but to read the various descriptions between a Texas BBQ, a Classic, a CQB, and a XTAC. Some of which not only offer a Supergrade, Elite, and some of which come in Full Size, Professional, or Compact.

So for instance its possible you could get a full size Supergrade XTAC, Elite XTAC, or just XTAC because Wilson Combat offers the XTAC in these three levels of builds. Without looking I believe it possible to get an XTAC in Professional and Compact sizes as well.

Also besides the descriptions take a look at the basic build which details the options that come with the specific gun you are looking at at the time. Generally speaking a Hackathorn comes with a set of specific things that make it a Hackathorn where as a XTAC has a specific grip pattern that makes it an XTAC. If I remember correctly a Tactical has a rail where most others simply do not. If you take more time to look at various guns they have in stock that may also help as well.

Basic builds give the consumer a starting point where you could take the default or you could modify this a bit with additional options where of course the more options the more it would cost. Or you could buy something in stock which is already available but you have limited if no chance of modifying to your preference but could get now without the wait.

By better understanding it as overwhelming as it is it might help you make a better choice. If you only intend to buy one that maybe more important than if intending to buy a few or even more.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-16-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 07:52 AM

Dealers will also stock some of these guns and certain dealers may actually offer them for a little less than you could purchase them directly from Wilson Combat. If you are Military or LEO active or retired you can however get it directly from Wilson Combat at a 20% discount however.

Gunbroker list numerous Wilson Combats which may give you an idea although often directly from some dealers you can do better price wise.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Options are what can make your Wilson Combat more special or specific to your needs. Options to me are what makes Wilson Combat a Wilson Combat to me in addition to their reliability and customer service.

Sights and the type you choose are important, as is trigger and grip, but things such as dehorning, finish, flush cut barrel, reverse crown, type of safety, serrations, and cuts are all the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-16-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:13 AM

I'm in NJ too. Have a look at the Protector Professional, 9mm.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/2015-pr...-professional/
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Range gun screams full size 9mm to me. For $3600, I would purchase the CQB Elite, has most of the bells and whistle options that a person would want. Most options are for looks, but I like for my pistols to not only be accurate, but look good too. I have gold bead front sight on a lot of mine, but I like the fiber optic front sight for my 9mm range guns.

If you don't like waiting, just purchase one from WC or one of the many stocking dealers and save a couple hundred dollars.

Better buy a couple of cases of ammo or a progressive reloader. You can eat up a lot of ammo in a 1911 9mm range gun.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Welcome to the nuthouse! Lots of models to pick from. I personally like the Professional 4" bull barrel best. I would recommend picking 5", 4.25", or 4" and bushing vs bull barrel first then can pick the options you want for either in stock model or custom build.

WC online stock changes daily. Any dealer can order those in for you with minor adjustments like different sights or grips. You can typically save some $ working with some of the elite dealers like MIGunslingers and having it transferred in. Dealers like SMP Guns, 1911 Custom Solutions, KY Arms, Only the Best Firearms all have guns in stock as well to check out.

NJ is a little thin on dealers, I've been to Ottomanelli's they might have 3 or 4 in stock mostly 45, but still could get a feel for them. Heritage Guild in Easton, Branchburg, and Rahway used to have some but maybe not any more.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:42 AM

Many years ago, there were not nearly so many Wilson "models"/names to choose from.

Back then, it was both common and sound to suggest someone start by looking at Wilson's CQB model as an all-around good 1911 build. Next, look at options offered that you might desire. If the buyer desired no or very few options, there was the gun he desired.

But if many options were desired, it is possible that the end result of all those options added to a CQB might make the gun look more like a different Wilson model … which, if this was the case, took the buyer to the gun he desired (perhaps with a few adjustments).

Although that was years ago, I think it still has possible usefulness today for someone who asks the perfectly good question asked in our original post (#1) here.

However, one thing shouldn't be simplified. And that is, there's no such thing as trigger lengths, sights, aesthetics, etc., etc., where "one-design-fits-all". On those points, the more time you put into figuring out what's best for you, the more likely you'll be to having a gun that's just right for you. Others can comment, share their preferences, etc., but ultimately these details need to be your decision … and you should put some time and thought into it. On most of these subjects you can find a wealth of prior threads where some very good people (regulars in this sub-forum) have shared their thoughts.

(Perhaps saying the obvious with the following, but always remember that the model names are just names. E.g., "Protector" doesn't really imply greater protection than a CQB, nor does "CQB" imply that the gun's main use is for clearing building interiors of bad guys.). (And perhaps saying the obvious again, but when one spends more than $3,000 on a 1911, one of the purposes is to get one that's a really good match for your purposes, rather than a generic build for an "average Joe". If you do not take advantage of the flexibility offered and wind up instead with someone else's preferred build rather than your own preferred build, then you have not really received the value you should get for the price.)

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 01-16-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Many years ago, there were not nearly so many Wilson "models"/names to choose from.

Back then, it was both common and sound to suggest someone start by looking at Wilson's CQB model as an all-around good 1911 build. Next, look at options offered that you might desire. If the buyer desired no or very few options, there was the gun he desired.

But if many options were desired, it is possible that the end result of all those options added to a CQB might make the gun look more like a different Wilson model … which, if this was the case, took the buyer to the gun he desired (perhaps with a few adjustments).

Although that was years ago, I think it still has possible usefulness today for someone who asks the perfectly good question asked in our original post (#1) here.

However, one thing shouldn't be simplified. And that is, there's no such thing as trigger lengths, sights, aesthetics, etc., etc., where "one-design-fits-all". On those points, the more time you put into figuring out what's best for you, the more likely you'll be to having a gun that's just right for you. Others can comment, share their preferences, etc., but ultimately these details need to be your decision … and you should put some time and thought into it. On most of these subjects you can find a wealth of prior threads where some very good people (regulars in this sub-forum) have shared their thoughts.

(Perhaps saying the obvious with the following, but always remember that the model names are just names. E.g., "Protector" doesn't really imply greater protection than a CQB, nor does "CQB" imply that the gun's main use is for clearing building interiors of bad guys.). (And perhaps saying the obvious again, but when one spends more than $3,000 on a 1911, one of the purposes is to get one that's a really good match for your purposes. If you do not take advantage of the flexibility offered and wind up instead with someone else's preferred build rather than your own preferred, then you have not really received the value you should get for the price.)
All great advise.

The one thing I value most is not when someone recommends a model or choice but when they explain why and provide some detail.

Not that I will decide to choose the same thing but the fact that might help me either to make a decision as to whether or not it might work for me or not.

The confusing thing is there are so many options but the great thing is there are so many options.

For me I currently have four if you count the EDC X9L. But my Classic Supergrade, CQB Elite 40th Anniversary, and XTAC are all four slightly different guns. Somewhat in looks only but the XTAC and EDC X9L are examples where differences are much greater.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-16-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
All great advise.

The one thing I value most is not when someone recommends a model or choice but when they explain why and provide some detail.

Not that I will decide to choose the same thing but the fact that might help me either to make a decision as to whether or not it might work for me or not.

The confusing thing is there are so many options but the great thing is there are so many options.

For me I currently have four if you count the EDC X9L. But my Classic Supergrade, CQB Elite 40th Anniversary, and XTAC are all four slightly different guns. Somewhat in looks only but the XTAC and EDC X9L are examples where differences are much greater.
What's your view on the X9L...likes...dislikes?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
I got it late in the year and have only fired it once as I had surgery about this time as well. I only fire on a outdoor range and the weather is not conducive to that type of thing at this point.

I enjoyed it the day I took it out and think it's a great range gun. However personally I would not make this my one and only Wilson Combat if for no other reason than I like the 1911 and this is not a 1911 and it is a bit different. The grip is different. But I could see where others might. Hard to be to much more specific due to lack of my experience as I still need more time with it but as I said I enjoyed it the time I took it out.

Basically a 1911 is something I've known and wanted a Wilson Combat 1911 for awhile. The EDC X9L is a great range gun at least from the one day I used it.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-16-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:43 AM

My first was the X9L love that double stack and the gun itself - that may not work in NJ due to the 18 rounds capacity. Been awhile for me living up North.

Now, I am looking at #2 and the choices can make you go nuts. Leaning towards the X-tac Professional comp. I like a full size frame - just old school.

Also, been experimenting with 165 gr sub-sonic ammo and its like having a compensated gun. Very soft with no recoil.

So, it comes down to do I need another WC piece - Sure I do but which one????

Good luck in your purchase - they are fine weapons.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
My first was the X9L love that double stack and the gun itself - that may not work in NJ due to the 18 rounds capacity. Been awhile for me living up North.

Now, I am looking at #2 and the choices can make you go nuts. Leaning towards the X-tac Professional comp. I like a full size frame - just old school.

Also, been experimenting with 165 gr sub-sonic ammo and its like having a compensated gun. Very soft with no recoil.

So, it comes down to do I need another WC piece - Sure I do but which one????

Good luck in your purchase - they are fine weapons.
I decided to get a full size XTAC after I already had my EDC X9L. My only issue was I just didn't like how much it would look like something I already had. Getting it in SS fixed that for me. Maybe if I choose to get another it"ll have to be in green. LOL

Really getting a few or even better yet more is really what everyone needs to do.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
By the way one of my main fears was due to lighter weight how much recoil might be felt as I have terrible arthritis in my hands. I found the EDC X9L to be a fairly soft shooter that day. Maybe in part also because it is after all a double stack gun.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I also purchased a TSO later in the year and found my experience in shooting that once was not as pleasant as what I had firing my EDC X9L for whatever reason. Some may disagree, and I'm not sure why at this point so I have to give the TSO another go. I just found the EDC X9L felt better in my hand for some reason.

I didn't take both out to the range at the time but may have to next time.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM

Just my opinion. CQB Commander Elite. As noted, the Elite has several upgrades already on it. Having had a 5 inch and have a 4.25 inch slides, I can tell you the 9mm moves the shorter slide easier (better). I also have a Professional, 4 inch slide, that is great as well. To me, the 5 inch slide in 9mm felt a little sluggish. Keep in mind I only use 124 gr ammunition. Just my limited experience.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the Wilson Combat family! (Be careful, theyíre like potato chips. You canít have just one.)

Yeah, their website is overwhelming. Takes a while to wrap your brain around it.

Thereís a spreadsheet buried on their site that helps: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...urk/edit#gid=0. Thereís a tab for each size: Full, Professional, Compact, and Sentinel. (Just noticed there isnít one for Commander.) Then each tab lists models available in that size, base prices, and specs. It doesnít list every model (probably hasnít been updated in a long time) but itíll give you a good overview.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM

You lost me at the number "9".

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 01-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
You lost me at the number "9".
If you don't like the 1911 in a 9mm I totally understand, but there seems to be a lot of prejudice here that if it isn't a .45 then it's not a true 1911. Fact is the 1911 was being made as a .38 super as early as 1933 and has been made in many different calibers since then. Personally I like variety as long as it functions as it should.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:38 PM

A lot of great input in this thread, both in regard to specific models (each such suggestion here is a good one IMHO) and general priorities.

One subject that's been hinted at is the question of whether there is any preference for a relatively traditional 1911 design (i.e., a visibly close nod to JMB's original), a modified interpretation of the 1911 (e.g., flanged barrel, compensator-equipped, bull barrel, etc.), or something that's not a 1911 (per most 1911 enthusiast's interpretation of what is/is not a 1911... many draw the line when fire control/safety components are modified or deleted, when exterior dimensions other than barrel length are notably altered, etc.).

The answer to this question takes the prospective buyer down one of three very different pathways.

For me, if it were my only Wilson 1911 (heeheehee, for this "only one Wilson 1911" hardly ever plays out), I'd like an example that pays close homage to JMB's original. But I mention this only as an example, because while those close homage qualities would be important to me (if I could own only one 1911), they might not matter at all to the next person. It again comes back to the buyer's personal purposes and priorities.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 01-17-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:50 AM

WC Classic

From The Wilson Combat website:
"Regardless if it is for home defense, personal carry or competition, this firearm will meet your needs."

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/classic/

My EDC is a California Roster Classic. I also shoot a little IDPA. The Classic does it all. Pictured are my EDC (Left) and Back-up (Right). They sport the tritium battle sites.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0194.jpg   Back-up 1 IMG_0248.jpg