Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 06:28 PM

Inglis HP Mag Sale @ MidwayUSA

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...mpaign=process
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 AM

Without being able to see if they are properly marked I would be hesitant to place an order.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 AM

Those are the same mags being sold by GunMagWarehouse. They are copies of Inglis mags that were manufactured by the Indian military arsenal to be used in their Inglis pistol copies. Though not made in Canada, they are actually good magazines. Not what a collector would want, but perfectly serviceable for a shooter. I had a couple of the Indian pistols, and, though very crudely made, they worked perfectly well. The mags also worked in FN, FEG, or Argentine pistols. They are marked "RA", not "JI".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
Those are the same mags being sold by GunMagWarehouse. They are copies of Inglis mags that were manufactured by the Indian military arsenal to be used in their Inglis pistol copies. Though not made in Canada, they are actually good magazines. Not what a collector would want, but perfectly serviceable for a shooter. I had a couple of the Indian pistols, and, though very crudely made, they worked perfectly well. The mags also worked in FN, FEG, or Argentine pistols. They are marked "RA", not "JI".
Hi, yes, I notified Gun Mag Warehouse but the myth survives, Mike
Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 AM

I have a couple of the RA marked magazines. While they are perfectly serviceable, I prefer Mecgar.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjb1911 View Post
I have a couple of the RA marked magazines. While they are perfectly serviceable, I prefer Mecgar.
Yup, for a few bucks more the Mec Gar are worth it. They also come in a 15rd nickel plated version.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM

Just curious, if two mags work equally, what makes one preferable over the other? Why is the more expensive one "worth it"?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
Just curious, if two mags work equally, what makes one preferable over the other? Why is the more expensive one "worth it"?
Because they are prettier!
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:30 PM

That's as good a reason as any.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 AM

I ordered a couple just to throw in the magazine pile, I already have two original mags for my Inglis. One can never have too many mags....I have a large tackle box with a half dozen layers of magazines plus the tray full, over 100 extra mags for well over 200 pistols.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 AM

My INGLIS magazines were marked "JI". I suspected those at Midway were the Indian mags. Thanks for the info BHP. I'd still pay more for the MecGars, simply because after using MecGars for years in Brownings and SIGs, I trust the MecGars. The Indian magazines, not so much. Oh yea, I agree with The Wizard, MecGars are prettier.

WOW Ibmikey, 100+ extra HP magazines! I thought I had an adequate number, but I got Nuthin' compared to that
Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
Yup, for a few bucks more the Mec Gar are worth it. They also come in a 15rd nickel plated version.
+ 1 - love the Nickel 15 rnd Mecgars, also very reasonable from Greg Cotes.

*Last orders I made from MIDWAY were totally frustrating - dealing with cranky website, & receiving wrong items. I have sworn off them.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
+ 1 - love the Nickel 15 rnd Mecgars, also very reasonable from Greg Cotes.

*Last orders I made from MIDWAY were totally frustrating - dealing with cranky website, & receiving wrong items. I have sworn off them.
I have had no issues with Midway. Always shipped me what I ordered and shipped promptly.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Rock, I guess I kind of ran two thoughts togethger, I have over 200 firearms, most take a magazine, I have a mag in each ( many in the box with two mags) and over 100 extra mags for the many types of firearms that require a mag. As for HP mags.....one in each pistol = 20 and 14 more for a total of 34 HP mags, most of the non inglis or Belgium marked mags are McGar....the best of the aftermarket.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
Because they are prettier!
They really ARE prettier! I prefer the Mecgar because of the plastic follower. It runs up and down the magazine much smoother. I don't know if that makes a difference, but it makes me happy.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:48 AM

I got the last five new unissued Canadian surplus Hi-Power mags CDNN had about five years ago. I'm not aware of anyone having any real Inglis surplus mags since then.

Not new, unused ones anyways.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:16 AM

Well the Indian mags arrived and with a good clean/lube and a 20 ton press I was able to get 13 rounds in each. Back to McGarr for me.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Well the Indian mags arrived and with a good clean/lube and a 20 ton press I was able to get 13 rounds in each. Back to McGarr for me.
You lubed them? Why? Magazines should always be clean and dry.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Good luck, Midway sent me three more Mec Gar mags UPS, who gave them to USPS and USPS claimed they were delivered. I have a locked mailbox and did not get them. Be happy you got mags at all :-)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 PM

I ordered a couple. Haven't opened them up yet. Figured I would take a chance. We'll see once I get time to hang out at the work bench.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 PM

Psycho sword, Yes I lubed the interior of the mag body as they were totally dry phosphate and would not take more than a couple of rounds. After lube and loading a few times I cleaned the interior of the mag and found they would now load but with great pressure on each round to get it in. Sometimes a little assistance is required and the lube did it for me.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Like I said a while ago. Spend a couple more dollars and get Mecgar.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:26 PM

I've cleaned and dry-lubed (Teflon spray) my mags and feed spings from time to time (when I can't remember when I did it last)...then wiped out the inside surfaces of the mags with a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess. Apart from any other reason, cleaning rids the mag of any brass shavings or 'dust' traces that accumulate over time from frequent use.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 PM

I've used a dry Moly spray inside mag bodies of many pistol/rifle varieties over many years. Used the same spray on mag springs, AR buffers and springs, AR BCGs and even some trigger parts. Have never had a problem with anything so treated. I do stay away from any product that contains graphite.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:10 AM

I usually disassemble a new magazine and clean it thoroughly with break free lubricant and wiping with a clean patch. I have never had a bit of trouble with mags that were cleaned in this manner but of course I have not tested the mags in the Sahara sand. The Midway mags were anything but smooth inside and will take considerable use to load easily. McGar mags work exceptionally well out of the wrapper.