Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 AM

EDC X9 - Short vs Medium Trigger

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before, but I wanted to address it in a more specific way since most of the responses didn't help me make much sense of which direction to go.

I've never owned a 1911 (only shot an Ed Brown Special Forces once - which was great btw), so I don't have that as a frame of reference.

I have large-ish palms but short fingers (weird I know).

I LOVE the length of pull on Smith and Wesson M&Ps. They break far back which is just the right geometry for my stubby fingers. By comparison, the break on a Glock 19 is OK but not great.

So, given this information, would you recommend going with the short trigger/small backstrap or the medium/small?

Thanks in advance, folks!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Actually if you have large-ish palms and short fingers, I would recommend the large backstrap and short trigger. You can always change out the backstrap to the other size yourself very easily. With shorter fingers, IMO the short trigger is going to work better for you.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Actually if you have large-ish palms and short fingers, I would recommend the large backstrap and short trigger. You can always change out the backstrap to the other size yourself very easily. With shorter fingers, IMO the short trigger is going to work better for you.
I was thinking about that too but then read somewhere that the large BS adds .1" while the short trigger is .1" also (so wouldn't this make this a wash?). Making matters worse is the BS is $100, which while not a fortune does seem pricey on principle for a backstrap.

What do you use and how does it feel?

Does the fact that the large BS doesn't sit flush have any effect on your purchase on the gun?

Thanks for your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 11:07 AM

I think that the backstrap/ trigger decision is one that really can only be made by feeling the difference. I have a medium trigger on mine and a small backstrap. I also have a large backstrap and thought that when my wife got her X9 that I would switch mine to the large backstrap. I have large but skinny hands and when I put the large backstrap on it was not comfortable to me at all. The small backstrap and medium trigger feels just about perfect to me. My wife’s X9 has a small backstrap and a short trigger. There really does seem to be a lot of “felt” difference to me in the shorter trigger.

If your palm size is large with short fingers, Roger’s suggestion does make sense. What would really help would be if you could find some of the options to actually hold in your hand, otherwise it really is just a guess.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Here's WC's recommendations:

Small hands: small backstrap / short trigger
Medium hands: small backstrap / medium trigger
Large hands: large backstrap / medium trigger
X-Large hands: large backstrap / long trigger

WC stated that 80% of the X9's they built are small back strap with medium trigger. That suites most people just fine.

You just might fall in the other 20%.

Grandpa's suggestion sounds right.

Apipeguy's idea of trying a few in your hands is a good idea, but since most are built with small back strap and medium trigger, it will be difficult to get your hands on anything else to try before you buy.

You are in a tough place.

If you liked the feel/comfort of the Ed Brown 1911, I'd suggest going with small back strap and medium trigger.

However, if you buy an X9 and find yourself not happy with the configuration, the gun can be sent back to WC for a different length trigger and you can just change the back strap yourself.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleflip View Post
I was thinking about that too but then read somewhere that the large BS adds .1" while the short trigger is .1" also (so wouldn't this make this a wash?). Making matters worse is the BS is $100, which while not a fortune does seem pricey on principle for a backstrap.

What do you use and how does it feel?

Does the fact that the large BS doesn't sit flush have any effect on your purchase on the gun?

Thanks for your insights.
I have average (medium) hands. I originally ordered mine with a small BS and medium trigger, and the gun jumped around a little in my hand. So, I ordered a large BS and put it on, and left the trigger as a medium length trigger, which now is about perfect for me. If your fingers are a bit shorter I think the short trigger makes the most sense, and the backstrap is easy to change and actually is a drop-in part (unlike changing the trigger). Yes, the backstrap is $100 shipped, but they are amazingly precise in dimension and I've not noticed the large causing a reduced purchase on the gun - as a matter of fact, it is what "fixed" the gun's squirm, which others have posted as similar experience in this sub-forum. I did not realize the difference it made until I shot Ken Hackathorn's at one of the classes last year, and his was a large BS with medium trigger; much more control-able for me than the small BS was.

ETA: as far as the large BS sitting flush - I hadn't noticed really.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 03-30-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 03-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I have average (medium) hands. I originally ordered mine with a small BS and medium trigger, and the gun jumped around a little in my hand. So, I ordered a large BS and put it on, and left the trigger as a medium length trigger, which now is about perfect for me. If your fingers are a bit shorter I think the short trigger makes the most sense, and the backstrap is easy to change and actually is a drop-in part (unlike changing the trigger). Yes, the backstrap is $100 shipped, but they are amazingly precise in dimension and I've not noticed the large causing a reduced purchase on the gun - as a matter of fact, it is what "fixed" the gun's squirm, which others have posted as similar experience in this sub-forum. I did not realize the difference it made until I shot Ken Hackathorn's at one of the classes last year, and his was a large BS with medium trigger; much more control-able for me than the small BS was.

Thanks! I reached out to George and think I will order short/small but also order a large just in case. Sounds like either way I go on the BS I should aim for the short trigger.

Thanks so much again.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I think that the backstrap/ trigger decision is one that really can only be made by feeling the difference. I have a medium trigger on mine and a small backstrap. I also have a large backstrap and thought that when my wife got her X9 that I would switch mine to the large backstrap. I have large but skinny hands and when I put the large backstrap on it was not comfortable to me at all. The small backstrap and medium trigger feels just about perfect to me. My wife’s X9 has a small backstrap and a short trigger. There really does seem to be a lot of “felt” difference to me in the shorter trigger.

If your palm size is large with short fingers, Roger’s suggestion does make sense. What would really help would be if you could find some of the options to actually hold in your hand, otherwise it really is just a guess.
While my hands aren't "girl" small, I feel the short trigger is almost certainly the move for me. I guess I will order both BS to be sure!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:

One more thing, how did you notice the large BS changing the length of pull? Did it not really effect length of pull and just filled your palms more?
Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
This.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
One more thing, how did you notice the large BS changing the length of pull? Did it not really effect length of pull and just filled your palms more?
It did not alter the length of pull to any degree that I could tell, but what it did do is fill my palm better, making it easier to control during live fire. If you are doing slow fire all the time, I doubt it will make any difference, but for SD drills and such it does make a difference to have a full, comfortable, solid grip.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Not sure where you are at but perhaps there is a forum member near you that has an X9 to at least sample the feel of theirs.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Not sure where you are at but perhaps there is a forum member near you that has an X9 to at least sample the feel of theirs.
I'm in Charleston, SC if any kind souls want to help a fellow gun guy out 🙂
Old 03-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It did not alter the length of pull to any degree that I could tell, but what it did do is fill my palm better, making it easier to control during live fire. If you are doing slow fire all the time, I doubt it will make any difference, but for SD drills and such it does make a difference to have a full, comfortable, solid grip.
Interesting. Large might be the move then.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
Here's WC's recommendations:

Small hands: small backstrap / short trigger
Medium hands: small backstrap / medium trigger
Large hands: large backstrap / medium trigger
X-Large hands: large backstrap / long trigger

WC stated that 80% of the X9's they built are small back strap with medium trigger. That suites most people just fine.

You just might fall in the other 20%.

Grandpa's suggestion sounds right.

Apipeguy's idea of trying a few in your hands is a good idea, but since most are built with small back strap and medium trigger, it will be difficult to get your hands on anything else to try before you buy.

You are in a tough place.

If you liked the feel/comfort of the Ed Brown 1911, I'd suggest going with small back strap and medium trigger.

However, if you buy an X9 and find yourself not happy with the configuration, the gun can be sent back to WC for a different length trigger and you can just change the back strap yourself.
Where did you find that info? I've looked around WC's current website and can't find something like that.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM

Go to the Wilson Combat home page (not the “Shop”). Click on Information and then FAQs and Handgun FAQs. There is a section on X9 FAQs.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
Where did you find that info? I've looked around WC's current website and can't find something like that.
Please do not bring back 1 year old (or older) threads - start a new thread and link to the old one if needed.

See post # 7 here:https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=139310

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 01-17-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added link to forum rules.
Closed Thread