Anyone out there have a Browning BLR? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Anyone out there have a Browning BLR?

A local shop has one in that looks pretty clean. In .308 with a pretty attractive price on it. I am considering it. Any feedback is welcome.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 PM

I have had a Japanese made BLR in 308 since the early 80's. I have taken dozens of white tales with it. It is extremely accurate with most good ammunition and very fast handling. I have never put glass on it as the iron sights work very well for me and the way I hunt. I imagine with a scope it would be outstanding as well. Mine is straight stocked which I prefer. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Just what I was waitting to hear from a fellow enabler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webley 455 View Post
I have had a Japanese made BLR in 308 since the early 80's. I have taken dozens of white tales with it. It is extremely accurate with most good ammunition and very fast handling. I have never put glass on it as the iron sights work very well for me and the way I hunt. I imagine with a scope it would be outstanding as well. Mine is straight stocked which I prefer. I highly recommend it.
I guess that I will have to go and snatch it up tomorrow. Thank you for the come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 PM
More Cowbell...

You know you want it.

You know you need it.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 PM

You won't be sorry. Pick up a couple spare mags, it makes life easier at the range. Have fun
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 PM

You guys are awesome!

Nothing like having a good support group in place.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Nothing like having a good support group in place.
You mean "enablers".
I've never owned one, but I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the BLR's. They're essentially a bolt-action rifle operated with a lever instead.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:34 AM

This is essentially correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
You mean "enablers".
I've never owned one, but I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the BLR's. They're essentially a bolt-action rifle operated with a lever instead.
They appear to be of pretty robust construction. Essentially a round gear attached to the lever that forces another straight gear attached to the rather massive slotted bolt.

I have been thinking of getting one of these for a while. Was thinking of maybe 243 Winchester or 22-250. Have not really considered .308 like this one is in. But nothing really wrong with .308 either, especially for the price. And while I am not really a big fan of those high gloss Browning stocks. I can live with that also.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 PM

Well I picked it up today.

It appears to be an older model 81. No rebounding hammer or crossbolt safety. Steel frame. Very little if any wear on the gun. Accuracy appears to be good although a real accuracy check has yet to happen. I just got back from town too late to even go out to the pasture for any real accuracy check.

I had to content myself with a function check on the eight inch gong hung about twenty meters from the shop door. Certainly no real accuracy check at all at this distance. However I was surprisingly enough able to cut the hanging chains very easily at this range for the gong. This using some Brazilian cheapo CBC ammo that I got years ago. Note to self re hang the gong tomorrow. Normally I can not hit the broad side of a barn with this ammo out of any of my other .308s.

I am thinking that this gun has a very tight chamber. Extraction is very difficult, to the point where I can not eject and chamber a new round using my fingers within the lever without subjecting myself to more pain than I am comfortable with. I have to hook my thumb in the lever and work it that way with considerable force. Additionally some of my hand loads would not even chamber. It seemed to be loosening up a bit as I shot it more. We will see going forward.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02625.JPG   DSC02624.JPG  
Old 09-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Go with commercial grade US ammo and your extraction issues will most likely be over .

Does it have the folding hammer safety feature ?

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 PM

It does have the folding hammer feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
Go with commercial grade US ammo and your extraction issues will most likely be over .

Does it have the folding hammer safety feature ?
I am not really sure what that is for. And I will certainly take your advice on ammunition when I take it out next. I would very much like to see extraction become a lot easier. I have some match grade factory ammo that I will use the next time that I am out.

Thank you for the come back.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Administrator

The folding hammer is a safety .

Match ammo may work fine but some plain old Fed/Rem/Win 150-180 gr soft point is what they had in mind when introduced .

I had one of these in 243 Win many years ago ... Fine rifles !

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 09-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Probably most any factory ammo will produce excellent results, but I would recommend Hornady Custom 150gr SST ammo. It's been outstanding in 3 different .308 rifles I own. You might want to try a small base sizing die and try an O.A.L. of 2.75 and adjust up to the maximum SAMMI max of 2.810, somewhere between the two should provide a balance of easy chambering and optimum accuracy. For powders, IMR4895, Varget, and IMR4064 are good bets. Good luck and enjoy your new rifle.

Last edited by mdell49; 09-21-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Tips noted and appreciated people.

Glad that you made it back from the Eastern front Guy.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:17 AM

I sold a lot of these made in Japan models when I was in the business. Smooth working, rack and pinion, lever action. Could not beat it with a stick if it was a snake. Excellent wood and bluing. I read somewhere that Japanese families would take the stocks home and hand finish them. A family effort. Never sold one that the buyers complained about. Brings back some pleasant memories.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:42 AM

I have the .308 with pistol grip. 1st new deer hunting rifle I ever bought. I love it. Action like butter and more accurate than me. I will never sell it.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:35 PM

I have two. One in .308. The other in a serious cartridge - 358
Win. Great stand or walking around the woods rifles.

Both are plenty accurate for hunting use. The 308 seems to group the best with factory Federal 165 grain Sierra Game Kings.

I load for the .358. 225 grain Barnes TTSX. Deer and hogs don't have a prayer when hit by one of them.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:28 PM

I am partial to Barnes bullets for hunting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb View Post
I have two. One in .308. The other in a serious cartridge - 358
Win. Great stand or walking around the woods rifles.

Both are plenty accurate for hunting use. The 308 seems to group the best with factory Federal 165 grain Sierra Game Kings.

I load for the .358. 225 grain Barnes TTSX. Deer and hogs don't have a prayer when hit by one of them.
They do perform.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 PM

I've recently been thinking about going back to lever guns for most everything. I had a BLR 81 in .223 Rem in Alaska for awhile. Great gun. Sweet handling, shot well, and a darn pretty little gun. I think I'd like one again.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 AM

Have the triggers gotten better?
The one I had seemed to have a terrible HEAVY trigger.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25 AM

On the one that I recently acquired it is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
Have the triggers gotten better?
The one I had seemed to have a terrible HEAVY trigger.
Actually it is surprisingly good.