2nd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Armory - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM

2nd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Armory

This is the 2nd of 3 M-1 Carbines (2 USGI Inlands and a "Howa" Made in Japan model) that I'm having checked over and new parts replacing worn out parts on.

Before

This started my ownership as a CMP purchased "Field Grade" purchased from a friend in 2007. I had replaced the stock in the photo here but otherwise the rifle was what my friend bought in 2006 (I have his paperwork).

Decent shooter but sometimes picky on mags, as Carbines can be.

After buying a new production Fulton Armory M-1 Carbine last fall I was impressed with the fit and quality of their work. I decided to have them check over all my Carbines, doing a "Blue Sky" import marked rifle 1st. After the 1st rate job they did on that rifle I then decided to send this one in for a tune up and oil change

After

Unfortunately after the initial inspection FA gave me the bad news. My plan had been to keep the 1943 Inland barrel, assuming it was in better shape than it was. Fulton informed me that that barrel was shot out, gauging "3+".

That meant 1 or 2 things, replacing the barrel or not being able to shoot it much longer. I choose the former. While I do like the "collectability" factor on M-1 Carbines I also like being able to trust every firearm I own in case the SHTF.

FA also replaced the slide, evidently that a high wear item on Carbines and can cause FTF's. They also replaced springs as needed and tuned up the rear sight.

Enough chatter, time for some range action

The 1st 25 rounds at 25 yards using a local indoor range, bench rested. This was a function check to see how it liked PPU 110gn ammo after the rework (it had been a tad finicky with this brand before)

No issues, and the sights seemed pretty much on the money and tight.

2nd 50 rounds. Now, before anyone credits me that's still only 25 yards bench rested. The Criterion chrome lined match grade barrel is like a laser at this range, hopefully when I can get to an outdoor 50 and 100 yard range I can keep the groups in the 10 ring benching.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL69.../414344402.jpg

Last 50 rounds. 1st 25 still benched, top 25 "headshots" standing up.

After that I called it a day and took home 75 rounds. The rifle never missed a beat, and as I worked up to a full mag the last 100 rounds ran like a Swiss watch

I can't wait to get this one, the 1st one and the next to a decent 100 yard range
Old 11-29-2019, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Cool, thanks for sharing. It reminds me that I need to take my '43 Inland out for a spin sometime. I haven't done so in years.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:16 AM

Very impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing. It reminds me that I need to take my '43 Inland out for a spin sometime. I haven't done so in years.
Hopefully the barrel on your 43 gauges better than mine did.

The gunsmith at Fulton told me the old "M-2 Ball ammo" trick everyone uses isn't as accurate as people think for gauging crown and barrel wear. That's why I thought I could keep the barrel on my 43 here.

It was going to be the safe queen Carbine (and still will be) so I could pass it on to the family. It still will be but I also wanted a reliable firearm, now I know this one will be around in 75 years (I'm thinking it might survive any future boating accidents )
Old 11-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Great post, Don. I remember when I was in my teens, and M1's were $100. Wish I'd had some sense back then.
L.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Great post, Don. I remember when I was in my teens, and M1's were $100. Wish I'd had some sense back then.
L.
You and me both
Old 11-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flynn View Post
Hopefully the barrel on your 43 gauges better than mine did.
I don't know if it does, but I don't care and wouldn't replace it anyway. It's just a safe queen and occasional range toy. If World War III breaks out I've got plenty of other guns that I'd grab first, and if by some chance it was all I was stuck with I wouldn't be a in a position to care how the barrel gauges. Mine is a typical post-war rebuild but I'm pretty sure the barrel and receiver are still original to one another.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:21 PM

Anyone have any experience with their Garand work?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
Anyone have any experience with their Garand work?
I would imagine their 1st rate with Garands also. They seem larger than James River Armory (another restoration service).
Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Beautiful guns. I only have a modern repo but it shoots well and I enjoy it. It would be really nice if CMP found a boatload of them somewhere. You can get a like new CMP Special Garand for 1250.00. Reparkerized, new barrel and stock. Looks like a brand new gun. Stocks are not that nice though.

Last edited by Andyk; 12-02-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Now I'm taking my Quality Hardware out to the range for duplicating the 25 yd and then try it at 50. It is a fun carbine to shoot.

Horace and Alexander Suvorov
Old 12-17-2019, 09:15 PM

I bought quite a few CMP M-1 carbines service grades back in 2006, had too many sold a few off, what a dumb idea. The prices these days for that time period CMP carbines are through the roof. Any way, my favorite is 1944 Underwood, all original finish, add a M-2 stock, 1 on CMP gauge, shoots 2 in groups with factory 110's @ 1900. What I love they are so easy to work on but need the bolt tool to change parts.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor View Post
I bought quite a few CMP M-1 carbines service grades back in 2006, had too many sold a few off, what a dumb idea. The prices these days for that time period CMP carbines are through the roof. Any way, my favorite is 1944 Underwood, all original finish, add a M-2 stock, 1 on CMP gauge, shoots 2 in groups with factory 110's @ 1900. What I love they are so easy to work on but need the bolt tool to change parts.
Gauging at a 1 is damn near a new barrel, I'd love to find another USGI like that but it would cost a fortune I bet
Old 12-18-2019, 12:40 PM

HUGE M1 Carbine fan here...

Here's my IBM and Inland

Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
HUGE M1 Carbine fan here...

Here's my IBM and Inland

I love the stock on the bottom one, has character
Old 02-16-2020, 12:31 AM

I just took my 1944 Underwood M1 Carbine to the range for the first time today. I only focused on 50 yards for zeroing in the sights and my own skill. Until today I hadn't fired a rifle since 1964 in boot camp. The gun worked flawlessly. I'm hungary to get back there and work on my marksmanship. The only thing with outdoor ranges (unless you have a spotter or are using optical sights, with metal sights you don't know how your are doing until they call cease fire and you can go up and look at your targets. My shots were all consistently low and right, which means my trigger pull was not smooth. All in all, a great tactical rifle from the old school. And good for what is often referred to as urban combat. The next time I will do the first set of targets at 50 yards to work on the trigger pull...and then shift to 100 yards. With metal sights (and my eyes) I don't see myself even trying to hit anything farther away.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
I just took my 1944 Underwood M1 Carbine to the range for the first time today. I only focused on 50 yards for zeroing in the sights and my own skill. Until today I hadn't fired a rifle since 1964 in boot camp. The gun worked flawlessly. I'm hungary to get back there and work on my marksmanship. The only thing with outdoor ranges (unless you have a spotter or are using optical sights, with metal sights you don't know how your are doing until they call cease fire and you can go up and look at your targets. My shots were all consistently low and right, which means my trigger pull was not smooth. All in all, a great tactical rifle from the old school. And good for what is often referred to as urban combat. The next time I will do the first set of targets at 50 yards to work on the trigger pull...and then shift to 100 yards. With metal sights (and my eyes) I don't see myself even trying to hit anything farther away.

Cool. It'll come back to you.