Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 12 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 360 75.79%
22 cal is my first choice 115 24.21%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2019, 03:03 PM

A 22 rimfire of any kind would not be my first choice - however, I have a few 22LR firearms, and at least two would be with me should I have to walk out. I do not anticipate walking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeepsam View Post
OK, I'm putting us back on topic.

Would I go into defense mode with a 22? Not if I had other choices. But I will do everything I can with a 22 during my "bug-in" and save the centerfires for the security work.
Bug-in, yup. I may not be the fittest warrior anymore, but I have enough wisdom to know when to hold'em or show'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
IMO, any situation where one gets into firefights with ARs a blazing, well that is a lose lose for everyone.
I so heartily agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhawk View Post
I don't want to ever be without my 10/22, Victory SW22, M1A and a 1911.
Substitute Marlin 60 and AR and I'm with ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad55 View Post
I'm a big fan of 22LR. A lot of past generations and about half a billion folk in the 3rd world still feed themselves with one. Thats pretty much the end of the discussion as those folks are living a version of what we would see as SHTF already.

It will kill small, but also medium and even large game with headshots( worse case) 50-75 yards. You wont be shooting at all your favorite angles and you won't be getting any awards for ethics, but a 22LR will penetrate 2" of pine, which covers a lot of skulls in the animal kingdom when you are hungry.

At the price you can buy 22LR, 20,000 rounds will keep you shooting long after the centrefire runs out.

The other advantage is 22LR weighs only .7lbs per 100 rounds. 223 is 3.5lbs, 308 is 5+lbs. If you are bugging out on foot forever it is the only ammo type you can carry several thousand rounds. Or if loading the truck to bug out forever, a lifetime supply fits in a suitcase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
The title of this thread is "Will a 22 cal really have any value?" based on a SHTF scenario. The bottom line is absolutely. Anything is better than throwing sticks.
Common sense. I'll keep mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboone View Post
I agree with the outlook that in a real SHTF scenario with famine involved, most anything furred, feathered or finned will be shot off or scared off darn quickly....BUT....from the practical standpoint, a semi auto .22 (pick your preference), most of them are inexpensive, easy to keep up, easy to learn on and inexpensive to own and shoot. Several bricks of CCI Mini Mags and a Marlin model 60 is way more gun than a thousand dollar miracle do all black rifle that you never can afford to get or shoot to proficiency.
And there it is - yes, the .22LR is certainly useful. I did read the whole thread, very interesting, lots off topic, but as they say, all information and perceptions have value to those that look for it.

Carry on folks!
"If you travel keeping your ideals squared with what is right, you will never fail."

Last edited by Mike in NC; 12-01-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: to answer the OP
Old 12-01-2019, 04:04 PM

In a SHTF scenario, being in control means a great deal. In a disarmed society, having any firearm, even a .22lr, could be seen as being someone in control.
Of course someone with a 12 gauge would be in even more control and a sub machine gun in even more control than that.
This is pretty well documented in accounts of life in WW2 central Europe after the nazis retreated.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 PM

If during SHTF I HAD the need to leave my. Home to hunt or retrieve water. I would do it in twos. One with a .22 rifle and one with an AR15 for protecting the other. My older daughter and her husband would come to my home and add to our team. My neighbor would join in also. 3 men, 3 women and a lot of guns. And a few big dogs. Water is 1/2 mile away. Game is everywhere at least initially.. A person with a 22 rifle and one with a .223 would make an affective team IMO.

Last edited by Andyk; 12-01-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 AM

I have all three pistols in one case with all their mags, a holster and paperwork. Then I'd take my 9mm Carbine and 16ga Ithica Featherweight in the double long gun case. Two pistols are 22s and the other is 9mm. Then there's the range bag and three full ammo boxes that fit into another range bag.

Regarding the usefulness of a 22 I'd have to revert to the LEO's here as to their lethality.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:56 AM

Well...this is an interesting thread.

My take... I won't see a doomsday scenario.

A more realistic possibility is that street crime such as car jackings will increase. (We still drive right?) Another 4.4 million jobless claims this week. Over 20 million in the past 4 weeks. THAT is like an economic and social earthquake.

So a .22 rifle? No. Rather.. Ensuring the accessibility of your EDC from a seated position.
Maybe establishing a dedicated car/truck gun.

Putting more depth to HD. For example, secreted some accessible firearms around the house. (Assuming no kids in the home.)

If things don't lighten up-watch for the headline "Housewife Followed Home From Market"

Read the story and find- yes her handbag was taken but the perps' primary interest was the 10 bags of groceries...