M1 Garand Advice Please . . . - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Uncle Mike Uncle Mike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
Only thing is the crappy new stocks they put on them. But its a great shooting gun.
Hi, everyone has their secret recipe. I wipe my stocks with a lite coat of Bolied Linseed Oil. I wipe in on, let it soak in then wipe it off. If you look on the CMP Forum there are several opinions, raw Linseed Oil, Tung Oil, Boiled Linseed Oil, mixtures of above etc.etc. I use whats simple, regards, Mike
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 PM
ken y ken y is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
I have a CMP Special I bought from the Anniston store last spring. You can not tell its not a brand new gun. I got it in .308, new criterion barrel. Everything reparerized. Only thing is the crappy new stocks they put on them. But its a great shooting gun. You don't have to shoot a match.just be a member of an affiliate range or for 20 bucks join the Garand owners association and they will send one to your house. Don't forget to order more clips and a bayonet if you want. But nothing take a the place of going there to pick one out yourself. The range store is carrying lots now. The used to just have a few on the wall but now have 4 racks on the floor as well. Buy a gun, some ammo and get a range pass. They make you go to the 100 yard range first for sight in. Do well. There and you can move to the 200/600 yard range. The electronic targets are great. Instant feedback.

Don't forget two forms of I'd. Passport, Birth cert. DL. Ccncealed carry permit. Dd214. Its different from buying from a gun store but the are nice folks. The armorers who build them do duty in the store also.
What's wrong with the new stocks?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:08 PM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 68,771
Mine pre-dates the CMP by a considerable margin. My dad purchased it back in the 1960s from a surplus store, and it's 100% vintage USGI. 1943 Winchester receiver and 1945 SA barrel. It's a typical post-WW2 rebuild and the stock color should give you an idea what they typically looked like back then. I can guarantee that Beto ain't ever getting this one.

__________________
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-29-2019, 11:45 PM
NonHyphenAmerican NonHyphenAmerican is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hooterville in S.C. Kansas
Posts: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Mine pre-dates the CMP by a considerable margin. My dad purchased it back in the 1960s from a surplus store, and it's 100% vintage USGI. 1943 Winchester receiver and 1945 SA barrel. It's a typical post-WW2 rebuild and the stock color should give you an idea what they typically looked like back then. I can guarantee that Beto ain't ever getting this one.

Nice Garand!

Me like big time!
__________________
I hope and pray that none may kill me, Nor I kill any, with woundings grim. But if ever any should think to kill me, I pray thee, God, let me kill him first
I leave this rule for others when I'm dead, Be always sure you're right THEN GO AHEAD! Davy Crockett
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Behind the lines in Occupied Central CA
Posts: 950
If you have a new stock, and want the reddish look of old military stocks, put a couple of coats of raw Linseed oil(Flaxseed oil is the same thing, just food grade) on the wood. Then coat that with a couple of coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. Linseed oils will oxidize when exposed to sunlight and air, and turn the reddish brown many like. Raw Linseed Lil oxidizes quicker than BLO, though BLO will also do it. Teak and Tung oils don't change color.
If dealing with an old beat up stock which needs major cleaning, sticking it into a dishwasher works wonders. Deep cleans all the grime and oils, and the heat and moisture steams the dents out. Purists hate this method and will scream if you tell them you did it.
Once done with that, I will often hit the stock with some crystalline wood bleach dissolved in water. It lightens the wood a bit and hi lights the grain.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-01-2019, 07:37 AM
ken y ken y is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
You don't have to shoot a match.just be a member of an affiliate range or for 20 bucks join the Garand owners association and they will send one to your house.
Not according to the lady I talked to at CMP. You still have to show some proficiency with firearms, either the results of a match, or certification from a range official, law officer, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Behind the lines in Occupied Central CA
Posts: 950
From the CMP's website:

MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.


http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-01-2019, 10:21 AM
GunsnRovers GunsnRovers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Lost in Los Angeles
Age: 50
Posts: 1,344
In California you will find a number of sellers moving CMP guns on CalGuns.

You do not need to shoot a match to qualify. The exceptions/work arounds are simple.

The new stocks are easily cleaned up and work nicely.

Quit finding excuses. Go get one.

Or two or three...
__________________
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM
markm markm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,156
Shoot the match, it is a lot of fun. Many year ago when I got mine my local club had a two day thing for twenty bucks, one for training and the next day the match. And the provided everything. The most fun was discovering you could actually hit things at 600yds with iron sights, got me hooked on hi-power matches.
Course when I did the DCM/CMP thing it was like 300 bucks and you got what you got and only one. I called a lady there that, talked her up and expressed my desire for a H&R. When I got it it was a brand new H&R, just a little rack rash. I replaced the stock and the sights, the stock was in good shape but birch. I finished the new stock with boiled linseed oil with a little Varathane mixed in.
Attached Thumbnails
M1_2.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:36 PM
ken y ken y is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 169
Here is one of mine. Winchester receiver, 1944.
Attached Thumbnails
065.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 PM
dsf dsf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CA - for now.
Posts: 2,919
Under the theory "even a blind pig finds an acorn" - I have a C&R license, was bouncing around Reno gun stores during last years "Big Reno Gun Show. Didn't find anything at the store Willey Brothers is a great gun store for used and unusual stuff. Found a Garand in beautiful Wenig stock, correct sling and modified to 308. Metal was flawless finished. Left side of the stock was stamped "DGR". Ran about $900.00. Come to find out the DGR fellow (since passed away) has a pretty good reputation for building Garands. I suppose there are always deals to be found.
__________________
dsf
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 PM
RazorBurn RazorBurn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Age: 48
Posts: 1,330
Another vote for the CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
From the CMP's website:

MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.


http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
The above is super easy to do.

Go with the CMP. Legit USGI Garand that will be worth more than you paid and also has a guarantee from the CMP if there is a problem out of the box. I started with a service grade when I ordered mine and that's what I'd recommend for a first one. I've also purchased a few field grades too. I highly recommend joining the Garand Collectors Association as your affiliated club too. Four of mine came from the CMP and my other one came as a barreled receiver from a member of the CMP forums.

I used my Concealed Carry license on my first order. I used my C&R license on my subsequent orders. The hoops are minimal and easy to overcome. Most people have a copy of their birth certificate which proves age and citizenship.









Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM
mkk41 mkk41 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,166
No shortage of Garands at the gun shops and shows here in SE PA. Prices and condition are the big variables. $700-3000.
__________________
Beware of counterfeits and patent infringments!~ Col. Sam'l Colt
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-18-2019, 01:10 AM
Andyk Andyk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken y View Post

Not according to the lady I talked to at CMP. You still have to show some proficiency with firearms, either the results of a match, or certification from a range official, law officer, etc.
Well I walked in. Picked one out. Showed my membership card to an affiliated range showed ID and filled out the form which did not ask me about any matches. I was there to shoot the steel Challange world championships but she didn't know that.

Last edited by Andyk; 11-18-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Andyk Andyk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken y View Post
What's wrong with the new stocks?
They are some scrappy wood, huckleberry is what I've been told.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved