1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
Only thing is the crappy new stocks they put on them. But its a great shooting gun.
Hi, everyone has their secret recipe. I wipe my stocks with a lite coat of Bolied Linseed Oil. I wipe in on, let it soak in then wipe it off. If you look on the CMP Forum there are several opinions, raw Linseed Oil, Tung Oil, Boiled Linseed Oil, mixtures of above etc.etc. I use whats simple, regards, Mike
Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I have a CMP Special I bought from the Anniston store last spring. You can not tell its not a brand new gun. I got it in .308, new criterion barrel. Everything reparerized. Only thing is the crappy new stocks they put on them. But its a great shooting gun. You don't have to shoot a match.just be a member of an affiliate range or for 20 bucks join the Garand owners association and they will send one to your house. Don't forget to order more clips and a bayonet if you want. But nothing take a the place of going there to pick one out yourself. The range store is carrying lots now. The used to just have a few on the wall but now have 4 racks on the floor as well. Buy a gun, some ammo and get a range pass. They make you go to the 100 yard range first for sight in. Do well. There and you can move to the 200/600 yard range. The electronic targets are great. Instant feedback.

Don't forget two forms of I'd. Passport, Birth cert. DL. Ccncealed carry permit. Dd214. Its different from buying from a gun store but the are nice folks. The armorers who build them do duty in the store also.
What's wrong with the new stocks?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Mine pre-dates the CMP by a considerable margin. My dad purchased it back in the 1960s from a surplus store, and it's 100% vintage USGI. 1943 Winchester receiver and 1945 SA barrel. It's a typical post-WW2 rebuild and the stock color should give you an idea what they typically looked like back then. I can guarantee that Beto ain't ever getting this one.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Mine pre-dates the CMP by a considerable margin. My dad purchased it back in the 1960s from a surplus store, and it's 100% vintage USGI. 1943 Winchester receiver and 1945 SA barrel. It's a typical post-WW2 rebuild and the stock color should give you an idea what they typically looked like back then. I can guarantee that Beto ain't ever getting this one.

Nice Garand!

Me like big time!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 AM

If you have a new stock, and want the reddish look of old military stocks, put a couple of coats of raw Linseed oil(Flaxseed oil is the same thing, just food grade) on the wood. Then coat that with a couple of coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. Linseed oils will oxidize when exposed to sunlight and air, and turn the reddish brown many like. Raw Linseed Lil oxidizes quicker than BLO, though BLO will also do it. Teak and Tung oils don't change color.
If dealing with an old beat up stock which needs major cleaning, sticking it into a dishwasher works wonders. Deep cleans all the grime and oils, and the heat and moisture steams the dents out. Purists hate this method and will scream if you tell them you did it.
Once done with that, I will often hit the stock with some crystalline wood bleach dissolved in water. It lightens the wood a bit and hi lights the grain.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You don't have to shoot a match.just be a member of an affiliate range or for 20 bucks join the Garand owners association and they will send one to your house.
Not according to the lady I talked to at CMP. You still have to show some proficiency with firearms, either the results of a match, or certification from a range official, law officer, etc.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 AM

From the CMP's website:

MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Old 11-01-2019, 10:21 AM

In California you will find a number of sellers moving CMP guns on CalGuns.

You do not need to shoot a match to qualify. The exceptions/work arounds are simple.

The new stocks are easily cleaned up and work nicely.

Quit finding excuses. Go get one.

Or two or three...
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Shoot the match, it is a lot of fun. Many year ago when I got mine my local club had a two day thing for twenty bucks, one for training and the next day the match. And the provided everything. The most fun was discovering you could actually hit things at 600yds with iron sights, got me hooked on hi-power matches.
Course when I did the DCM/CMP thing it was like 300 bucks and you got what you got and only one. I called a lady there that, talked her up and expressed my desire for a H&R. When I got it it was a brand new H&R, just a little rack rash. I replaced the stock and the sights, the stock was in good shape but birch. I finished the new stock with boiled linseed oil with a little Varathane mixed in.
Attached Thumbnails
M1_2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Here is one of mine. Winchester receiver, 1944.
Attached Thumbnails
065.jpg  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Under the theory "even a blind pig finds an acorn" - I have a C&R license, was bouncing around Reno gun stores during last years "Big Reno Gun Show. Didn't find anything at the store Willey Brothers is a great gun store for used and unusual stuff. Found a Garand in beautiful Wenig stock, correct sling and modified to 308. Metal was flawless finished. Left side of the stock was stamped "DGR". Ran about $900.00. Come to find out the DGR fellow (since passed away) has a pretty good reputation for building Garands. I suppose there are always deals to be found.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Another vote for the CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
From the CMP's website:

MARKSMANSHIP OR OTHER FIREARMS RELATED ACTIVITY:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ch&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
The above is super easy to do.

Go with the CMP. Legit USGI Garand that will be worth more than you paid and also has a guarantee from the CMP if there is a problem out of the box. I started with a service grade when I ordered mine and that's what I'd recommend for a first one. I've also purchased a few field grades too. I highly recommend joining the Garand Collectors Association as your affiliated club too. Four of mine came from the CMP and my other one came as a barreled receiver from a member of the CMP forums.

I used my Concealed Carry license on my first order. I used my C&R license on my subsequent orders. The hoops are minimal and easy to overcome. Most people have a copy of their birth certificate which proves age and citizenship.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM

No shortage of Garands at the gun shops and shows here in SE PA. Prices and condition are the big variables. $700-3000.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken y View Post

Not according to the lady I talked to at CMP. You still have to show some proficiency with firearms, either the results of a match, or certification from a range official, law officer, etc.
Well I walked in. Picked one out. Showed my membership card to an affiliated range showed ID and filled out the form which did not ask me about any matches. I was there to shoot the steel Challange world championships but she didn't know that.

Last edited by Andyk; 11-18-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken y View Post
What's wrong with the new stocks?
They are some scrappy wood, huckleberry is what I've been told.