Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
Ryan: Did you find yours to be "in spec?"

A few years ago, I let someone talk me into selling him a set of your grips.

It took me over an hour of work with a dremel, Swiss files, and sandpaper (plus some refinishing) to get them to fit on the gripframe, and allow the ambi safety to function.

Obviously; there was nothing wrong with the grips...

Ever since then; I've refused to wotk on anything made by taurus.
Rick,
No. Many things are a little different on the PT1911's. Grips that fit the frame on an Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Springfield etc won't cover the PT1911 frame, and the safety levers etc, are slightly different as well. It's a little bit of a different animal.
Sarge
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 PM

I have the Duotone model. Love it. However, my front sight occasionally comes loose and moves. I have to use Locktite to keep it in place. Other than that it is a great gun. I have a friend who has a Kimber and it has a stiffer recoil spring. As a result mine is a bit softer shooting, which I prefer. It also lets me go with a lower charge in my handloads and still eject the rounds.

Here's my gun. I added wood grips.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Location: The best Commonwealth in the country. The bluegrass state
I have owned several different 1911's. My ex brother in law owns 5 funeral homes. Money really is no object for him. He has 9 or 10 1911's, the least inexpensive being a Springfield. I've shot all of his from the Springfield to the Les Baer to the Dan Wesson to the Nighthawk ( you get my point ). I've always been a fan of "best guns for the money". I did a ton of research and narrowed my budget 1911 down to the pt1911 and the ria. It was a tough choice but per the reviews and the options I went with the Taurus. I have been amazed. It has eaten cheap reloads, remanufactures, 185 to 230 grain, steel case, hollow points etc. From Chip McCormick mags to cheap 8 dollar Asian jobs. Round count at 1750, as I keep a log on it. Not one malfunction. All I have done is broken it down, polished everything including throat and feed ramp and keep it lightly oiled. The trigger is almost as good as any I've shot. While there is an obvious difference in a Nighthawk and a pt1911, functionally they are the same. My ex broinlaw has a Kimber that was literally twice as much that will only run flawlessly with one ammo type. So you tell me, which is the better gun? I have glocks, sigs, Walther's etc. I would trust my life to them all, the Taurus included. You can spend a grand or tow or three if you want, but you don't have two.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
The OP brought up a good point though, it didn't cost anywhere near what some of
I too was under the impression that Kimbers were over the top expensive.

Wrong.

$729 was the everyday price at Sportsmans for my Kimber Pro Carry 2 tone 45.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 AM
Banned

Attached Thumbnails
CELL PICS FOOT 030.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM

I absolutely love Taurus. I had to send it into the factory a little over the 1000 round mark to get it fixed though. I'm still not sure what exactly was wrong. Putting a magazine in too hard would cause the slide to slam shut and get a nasty jam. They sent it back and it's worked without a hitch since. I own two now and they've both jammed maybe two or three times put together. I carry one every single day (the duo tone) but my second is a stainless version. Only complaints would be the finish and the magazines they send out. I own a few Taurus, a colt and a rock island. The colt might be tighter and maybe more accurate but I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference lol the Rock is having some issues so I can't form an opinion just yet. I would absolutely recommend Taurus. I wish they made a 10mm lol
Old 04-09-2016, 02:26 AM

Looking At A Taurus PT1911? Any Thoughts? Insights?

I bought a 10-year-old PT1911 earlier this year. It's my first 1911. My shallow experience may not mean much, but I'm pretty happy.

The only malfunctions I've had with my nasty Russian range rounds have been caused by over lubrication in cold weather or limp-wristing recoil. Or failure to get the magazine fully inserted into the well. You know, operator error.

The finish on the gun doesn't seem all that durable, but the trigger is great. It may have had a trigger job at some point, or Taurus did a spectacular job at the factory. I've had the lower receiver apart and the inside looks well finished. I changed the grips for purely aesthetic reasons. The new grips are stock ambidextrous Pachmayrs.

I have just under 1000 rounds. Who knows how many before I got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mark9117; 04-09-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 AM

My first 1911 was a SS railed Taurus. It ran good and never jammed on me. It shot good groups but put different ammo in different places. Close enough for self defense I guess but not what I wanted for shooting steel like I do. I traded it in on another gun. My favorite Sig 1911 drills targets no matter what ammo I am shooting and that's what's important to me.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 PM

I love mine !!!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Refinished my PT 1911. There's a gallery here - http://imgur.com/a/9umOy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9s View Post
I have a stainless PT1911 and I have had zero problems. It is what it is. It shoots straight and eats everything I feed it. It was my starter 1911 last year.
Yep, + 1000 for my blued version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9s View Post
I think the odds are far better than 50/50. All makes and models can have issues.
Err, this model has been on the market since the end of 2006. The problems that some like to perpetuate (copy/paste from others posts) were worked out many years ago.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 PM

I've had my PT1911 for about 10 years now. I have well over 1200 rounds through it, when I gave up counting, without one single malfunction of any kind.
Never had an issue with the ambi safety either, and I'm a lefty. It's a very accurate pistol and likes to make one hole groups.

I liked it so much that I put some extras onto it - a Wilson hammer to get rid of the lock, some Taurus-specific Heinie night sights, and a set of smooth stag grips from Sarge.

In my case I've got nothing to complain about at all.

(The watch is a Ball Trieste )
Attached Thumbnails
photo (23)PT-1911.JPG   photo (24).JPG   photo (25).JPG  

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 06-10-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I've had my PT1911 for about 10 years now. I have well over 1200 rounds through it, when I gave up counting, without one single malfunction of any kind.
Never had an issue with the ambi safety either, and I'm a lefty. It's a very accurate pistol and likes to make one hole groups.

I liked it so much that I put some extras onto it - a Wilson hammer to get rid of the lock, some Taurus-specific Heinie night sights, and a set of smooth stag grips from Sarge.

In my case I've got nothing to complain about at all.

(The watch is a Ball Trieste )
Nice. Mine says hello.

It's more than 10 years old, no telling how many rounds through it. Just replaced the recoil spring, firing pin spring and mag springs. Shoots sweet with nary a malfunction.

What's with the images Tapatalk?!

http://imgur.com/UyIjtsY

Old 06-18-2016, 04:01 PM

I picked up a used one a few years ago, bought it to use the lower on my Mec Tec upper but once I took it to the range and got some rounds down range I decided to keep it as a shooter. I cant say it is my favorite but its not a bad gun either, has went bang every time and has been a good range gun. I do wish the trigger was a little better (has a bit of creep/takeup) and I am not a fan of the lock on the hammer (will replace it with a commander style hammer soon).

We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located, among the millions and millions of cows in America, but we haven't got a clue where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located
Old 06-18-2016, 04:45 PM

Quick word about those things. I generally forget that there is a lock in the hammer.

And my trigger is a thing of beauty. The only complaint is that trying to work with trigger reset WILL produce a a surprise unintended discharge. There is zero take up and not much travel after the break. And the back of the trigger bow and both sides of the disconnector paddle are polished to a high gloss. I'm inclined to think that Taurus does a most spectacular trigger jobs at the factory, or my pistol had a trigger job by somebody who knew what he was doing.

What do folks who have more experience than I do think about trigger performance from the factory?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:48 PM

I have a Stainless, in .38 Super, and it's been a great pistol - and not just "for the money". It'll shoot into 2" at 25 yards, the trigger breaks nice and clean at right around 4 pounds, it hits where it looks and, after a little over 4,000 rounds, it has experienced exactly zero malfunctions - of any kind. I'm not sure what else I could ask of a pistol.

Any company will inevitably turn out some clunkers, some more than others. But don't write it off as junk until you try it on the range. You may well be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Converted mine from a series 80 to series 70 and extremely pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk