Taurus Millenium Recall? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Hi everyone that is having to deal with this, I have a question that is a bit off the recall of the tarus pt series of pistols subject.{It does concern a pt-111 though}.I have my BIL's tarus pt-111 Millennium 9mm. He and my daughter have decided to take the class to acquire their CCW, he ask me to look over this pistol to be certain it would be sutiable to use for the class.When I attempted to dissemble the gun I could not get the slide to come off the frame after removing the take down pin, after several attempts I looked online {ya'll know "youtube is your friend"}. This is where I found out about the recall-more about that in a bit- So has anyone here had this problem? If so what did you do to work around it? Any information is appreciated!
About the recall - I am going to advise him to send the pistol in and take the cash payout and put it with more money and get a carry pistol from a better source {glock, s&w, springfield, ruger, etc.} at least they will have some way to repair/replace anything that may wear out or break .
Old 12-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Make sure the gun is not loaded - remove magazine and check chamber twice. Make this a habit with these pistols. Lock the slide back and remove the take-down pin. Control the slide, release the slide lock and let the slide go forward. Pull the trigger and release it and the slide should come off. IOW, hands off the slide, pull trigger and release all in one motion, then pull the slide to the front.
Since this pistol is in the recall class you should test it before using it. Making sure its not loaded, remove the magazine, rack the slide, check the chamber and close it - the striker at this point should be in cocked single action mode. Set the safety if it has one, now bump, drop or otherwise impart acceleration to the pistol in all axes to see if you can make the striker fall - you should be able to hear this clearly if it happens. Try it with the safety off too. Another way to tell if the striker has slipped is the pistol will then be in double action with a longer trigger pull.
Assuming nothing happens, continue to do a static function check as per any auto-loading pistol.
There's not much to do for cleaning; you can take the barrel out and clean it but pretty much everything else all you can do is blast it out with solvent or combination spray with lubricant that is safe for plastics. Repeat all the above checks after reassembly.
If the striker does drop inappropriately at any time, never use the gun again and see if you can get any relief from Taurus.
I tested mine for all it was worth and couldn't make it snap, so I'm just continuing to use it as I see fit.
On reassembly, use the 'tang' on the end of the assembly pin and place it above the pin's spring visible in the pin hole. Then twist the pin, pushing the spring down and allowing the pin to be installed. Make sure the barrel is in the correct position before trying to pin it.