1911Forum banner

first 1911

892 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  mgraziano1975 
#1 ·
I am shopping for my 1st 1911. Its intended purpose is target and home protection and possibly carry at a later date. Max price would be about 1200.00. I've looked a lot, handled a lot and I think I have it narrowed down to 3. Remington R1 1911 carry, Sig Nitron Bobed and Springfield Range officer. This will be a government size. The RO is about 350.00 cheaper than the other two but the others have night sights. I'm interested in input on these choices as well as other suggestions. A colt is not an option the LGS doesn't get them in and I have a nice credit there so I'm commited to buying there. Thanks

#3 ·
Any of the three would be a good choice. I don't know if your lgs has all three in stock or he is ordering one for you. If he has all three I would handle them all & figure out which is the nicest example. My personal choice would be the R1 carry. I have had an R1 enhanced for about a year now. I have shot it tons & it is a great pistol. I would have gotten the carry but it wasn't available yet. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

#4 ·
I agree with raggedwhole! Any of the three are a good choice, but definitely handle them first if you get the chance. While they are comparable models, it all comes down to how they feel to you. Go with the one that fits your hand nicely and points naturally. As for sights, I know that fixed night sights are all the rage now, but I remain unconvinced. I like the versatility of adjustable sights for all different types of bullet weights and powder charges. People say they're fragile, but I'll tell you, having shot adjustable sights for a couple of decades now in competition, I've yet to have an issue with any of them. As for protection, in my opinion, low-light or no-light defensive shooting (or defensive shooting in general) is rarely an aiming event, so my jury is still out on that particular benefit.

#5 ·
If home defense is a primary goal you might want to find something with an accessory rail on it so you can mount a flashlight. Look before you shoot, it could be someone you know getting a late night snack!

As for recommendations, I love my Ruger, and the price you can get these for is fantastic. You can easily get the SR1911, night sights, some good magazines, ammunition, and a holster and stay under budget.

I use mine for home defense and plan on carrying it as soon as it is legal. It doesn't have a rail, but I EDC a small flashlight that's always in reach and I am comfortable holding the light while shooting.

#9 ·
havanajim said:
As for protection, in my opinion, low-light or no-light defensive shooting (or defensive shooting in general) is rarely an aiming event, so my jury is still out on that particular benefit.
I find the benefit of the night sights twofold. firstly, when I open my armoire or my safe in the dark, the sights not only tell me where my pistol is, but the orientation so I grab it correctly first try. secondly, before I fire up the viridian, it's reassuring to see the sights when everything else is dark. it confirms the position of your arms and pistol without having to think about it.

only ever had to grab the pistol at night once. thankfully, it was either for a raccoon that knocked over some stuff on my back porch, or a bad guy that spooked himself when he made too much noise. there was nothing but some knocked down coolers and shovels/rakes by the time I got there.

Posted from 1911forum.com App for Android

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.