1911Forum banner

Some of my favorite practice drills

119K views 87 replies 53 participants last post by  GunBugBit 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought some of you might like to see my practice drills.
I usually practice them once a week. I am a firm believer in practicing standard exercises as the only way to eally get proficient with a hand gun. Any way here are some of my favorite drills.

1 shot draws

Draw and fire one shot taking care to follow through. Go no faster than you can get "A" hits

10 yards one target

2 shot draws

Draw and fire two shots taking care to follow through. The placement of the shots should be very close together. Go no faster than you can get "A" hits

12 yards one target

Failure drill

Old standard 2 to the body one to the head. The head shot should be fired on the muzzle rise & should like one continuous string. Bang Bang Bang not Bang Bang Bang

7 yards one target

Bill drill

six shots in 2 sec. It sounds easy but it takes a sub 1 sec. draw and .20 splits. Pretty darn hard to do consistently. I'll generally try 5-6 times and if I make it once I quit.

7 yards one target

Target acquisition drill A

3 targets 3 yards apart. 2 shots on the center 1 on each outside target and 2 more in the center. This drill makes you focus on sight alignment and should sound like one string. That is time between shots on one target should be the same as shots between targets.

10 yards 3 target

Target acquisition drill B

Same as A but 1 shot on the center 2 shots on each outside target and 1 more in the center. I find this drill harder to do correctly as I really want to fire 2 shots on the center target to start.

10 yards 3 target

"M" drill

Variation on above but the center target is at 5 yes. Start on the center target Fire 1 at the center 2 shots on each outside target and 1 more on the center. This is fired 3 times once facing downrange once facing right and once facing left.

5-10 yards 3 target

Low barricade drill

stand behind low barricade drop to kneeling and fire 2 shots at a different target from each position (right cover center cover and left cover)

12 yards 3 targets

Square drill

Hackathorn's famous drill. Make a square about 5 yards on a side. Start at any corner and fire two shots on each target while moving to the next corner. Keep going until you are back to the starting point. This is the best shooting while moving drill that there is. Keep your knees bent, and try not to forget where you are.

7-12 yards 3 target

Barrel Drill

Set up 3 barrels at 10 15 & 20 yards in a zigzag pattern. Fire 2 shots at each target from each barrel while kneeling. Using good cover. Wear Hatch knee pads if you are old like me.

10-20 yards 2 targets

Head Shots

fire 6 head shots on one target. If you are jerking the trigger this will "kill" you. "My gun shoots low left I'm not jerking the trigger" yea right!!

20 yards one target

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks to be a very sound and PRACTICAL routine. I would suspect the number of reps has created a very fast, but smooth drawstroke. I think I'll print this up (with your permission-copyright laws, y'know?), and try to employ it in my outdoor range sessions. My indoor sessions consist mainly of working on the smoothness of the drawstroke (not speed) and its consistency. Along w very deliberate attention to trigger control. If no one else is in the range, the owner will allow me to kill the lights, and work flashlight techs. Your post also makes known the importance of a timer, not just for gamers, but practitioners of self defense.

Thanks for the great post.

Dan

#3 ·
Jammer's Drill:

Dummy rounds and seven round magazines.

8 magazines, all identical. I use Wilsons, but what's important is that they be identical. It's hard enough to fool yourself without a bunch of clues.

I use dummies that are reloads, with no powder or primer. I used various methods to keep them from collapsing under repeated use, but that's another story for another post. I wanted them to appear identical to live rounds, except for the primer hole, and I wanted them to weigh the same as live rounds. Orange plastic rounds need not apply.

I load one magazine with all dummy rounds.

Then I take 10 dummies and put them in pleasing patterns in an empty 50 round box. I make squares. I make diagonal lines. I get jiggy with it. Then I fill in the empty holes with live rounds.

Then load the other seven magazines as the rounds come out of the box. The object is random placement of the dummies in the magazines. Those of you who are paying attention will note that you only get 49 rounds loaded into seven magazines.

After the mags are loaded, I take another ten dummies and make more pleasing patterns in the box, and fill it with live rounds.

Mix the magazines together until you've lost all track. Pick one and load the weapon. Pick another one and put it in your ammo carrier. Holster your weapon.

Wait until someone somewhere in the range fires a shot, then draw and fire one round. It's the cold round that counts. If it's a dummy, clear it and fire.

When the mag is empty, perform an emergency reload from your carrier, and holster your weapon. Then load the empty mag straight out of the box, and choose a new mag for your ammo holder.

If and when you get two dummies in a row, treat it as a double feed, and lock, rip, clear, reload, and fire.

Since the longest range possible inside my home is twenty eight feet, I do everything at a range of thirty feet.

#4 ·
I don't have any specific drills that haven't been mentioned, or otherwise already well known.
I just wanted to add that I try to always try to handle the gun like it was the real deal. For example:
-If I'm just doing, say, draw and fire one round type drills, and I shoot to slide lock, I reload, and shoot another round. I don't just take a break to look at the target while I reload.
-If I have a malfunction, which I try to cause on occasion, I clear it and go on. Again, I don't just stop, sit down, clear it, etc.
-I try to scan, etc.
-If I should bobble a draw, get a somewhat sloppy grip, or catch a little bit of shirt tail, I continue. As long as it's safe, I go on. If I'm shooting a HiPower and get sloppy on the grip, I'm sure to get a good bite from the hammer, but I go ahead and shoot anyway. Those bites make good teachers.
-I'll pull the J-frame and shoot it sometimes instead of reloading or clearing.

I'm trying to get more strong-hand-only practice in. The usually cited reason for one-hand (either hand) is in case of injury. But, I've become more aware the fact that I may have to shoot entirely one-handed in "a situation". With two young kids, I'm probably going to have at least one with me, probably both. So I will have to push or shove them to cover, or wrestle them behind me.
I'm still working on that. I'm open to any suggestions.
If nothing else teaches you to practice avoidance, having your kids around will.
I should probably work more than I do on one-hand gunhandling besides just shooting- reloading, clearing, etc. If you've never done it, weak-hand only in those situations is tough. I understand that IDPA and IPSC lets you use your strong hand for those things for safety reasons, but it should be practiced on your own.

#5 · (Edited)
I do this once a week. It's called the "45 drill"

Distance between targets is 6'. Draw and fire on the signal.
Time:________ Score: _________________________________
3. Start on P2, fire 3 shots on T2. (3)
4. Start on P2, fire 3 shots on T3. (3)
5. Start on P1, fire 3 shots on each target while moving to P3. (9)
6. Start on P3, fire 3 shots on each target while moving to P1. (9)
7. Start on P2, fire 3 shots at T2 strong hand. (3)
8. Start on P2, fire 3 shots at T2 weak hand. (3)
Final:

#8 · (Edited)
Couple of other things I think are good to work into the above:

Movement - Forward / backward / lateral - as for speed - from a walking pace to a dead run.

Low light / no light

Seated in car, seat belt on, draw and fire out of both windows, exit car, use cover engage additional targets while using vehicle as cover.

Arms length - practice draw and fire from the hip. Practice the same and moving to the target's strong side while engaging. Practice the same and moving to cover while engaging.

Slicing the pie. Never hurts to critically evaluate a room or series of rooms as a mental exercise.

Strong hand / Weak hand - esp while moving - think getting your wife out of the area or into the car.

#9 ·
Several of these sound like things that Rosco Benson and I do while shooting with Rick Miller and some of our other friends. Rick's columns in Combat Handguns cover two or three good drills in every issue. Please, "steal" as many of these as you see fit, since Rick sure wasn't the originator of several of them, by any means. One of my favorites is the good old "ID scenario". Shooter starts with his back turned, while we place shoot/no shoot props on the targets, and move the targets around. Don't know just WHAT you'll be facing when the buzzer sounds and you turn around. And, we keep throwing new things into the mix as time goes by. Here's an example: Lately, we have the shooter start by walking around a small round table a time or two while waiting for the beep. You don't know how you'll be facing, or how your feet will be positioned, 'til you face the targets. This is made even better when there are one or more "no shoot" targets mixed among the "unfriendlies".

#10 ·
I like those drills, and appreciate them being in there. Thanks, since I'm sure you had a hand in them.

One drill that I like is Ken Hackathorn's "box drill", I think it's called. An oldie but a goodie. You get to be lazy, and only set up the targets once, yet get four "maneuvers" out of it.
For those that don't know- Set up three targets (or two, or twenty, whatever) starting I think seven yards back, mark out a box on the ground, or imagine one, or something.
Start at one corner, move to the next corner, drawing and shooting on the way. Continue from corner to corner all the way around.

Another trick that I've seen at some IPSC matches in the past (last time I shot one was "in the past"), is-
Set up whatever drill you want, using some IPSC targets with one white side and one buff side. Make a couple of 3x5 cards with "white" written on one, and "brown" on the other, and throw them in a hat or something. At the signal, pick a card, and shoot those targets.
It can feel odd to have to shoot the "no-shoot" side.

#15 ·
OK, here we go.
For quite a while, I was writing down drills and routines in a spiral notebook. I found it recently and added some more. I now have about 30 pages full.
I'll post them here a few at a time, if it's OK. If I'm taking up too much space or whatever, I'll knock it off.

None of these are mine. Some of them I may not even care for, but I'll include them anyway. Someone else may like them, as-is, or with modifications.

These have all come from books, magazine articles, training manuals, internet, hearsay, etc. In cases where I know the designer, I will give credit. If the designer's name wasn't provided to me, I can't.

In no particular order..........

***Rick Miller (Combat Handguns)Survival Index***

2 targets, 1 target width apart, 7 yards.
Draw, fire two rounds each target.
1- Facing targets.
2- Facing 90 degrees right.
3- Facing 90 degrees left.
4- Facing away.

16 rounds/80 points possible.
Total score divided by total time.
Multiply by RSP short form for caliber used-
9mm: 25
38Spl: 25
357Mag: 28
10mm: 29
40S&W: 29
44Spl: 30
45ACP: 30
45Colt: 30
41Mag: 32
44Mag: 33

Score/rating-
149 & below: unsatisfactory
150-199: adequate
200-249: good
250+: excellent

Examples-
9mm, 76 points, 7.0 sec.: 76(points) divided by 7(sec)= 10.85 10.85x25(9mm RSP)= 271 excellent.

.40S&W, 70 points, 8.5 sec: 70 div by 8.5= 8.235 8.235x29= 138.8 unsat.

*** "Orange" Gunsite Graduation Drill***

1 target

1- 3 meters: draw, fire 1 round. Par- 1.5 sec Perform 2x
2- 7 meters: draw, fire 1 round. Par- 1.5 sec Perform 2x
3- 10 meters: draw, fire 1 round. Par- 2.5 sec Perform 2x
4- 15 meters: draw, fire 1 round from kneeling. Par- 3.5 sec Perform 2x
5- 25 meters: draw, fire 2 rounds, from prone. Par- 6.5 sec Perform 1x

10 rounds/50 points possible

***Ken Hackathorn's 45 Round Practice Session***

Paste target(s) after each drill.

3 yards: Close-in retention. Fire 2 rounds. Perform 3x 6 rounds total.
5 yards: Strong hand only. Fire single rounds, or doubles. 6 rounds.
3 yards: Back away from target at least 3 yds, shooting 3 rounds while moving. Try to get at least to seven yards by third shot. Perform 2x 6 rounds.
7 yards: Double taps. Perform 3x 6 rounds
7 yards: Step a few paces to one side. Draw and fire 3 rounds while moving to other side. Perform 1x 3 rounds
7 yards: As above, except opposite direction. Perform 1x 3 rounds
6-10 yards: Put up three targets from 6-10 yards out. Engage 1-1-2-1-1 Perform 1x 6 rounds
6-10 yards: As above, but engage all targets with double taps. Peform 1x 6 rounds
7 yards: Place gun on ground. Put strong hand in belt behind back. Pick up gun with weak hand, fire 1 round. Perform 2x 2 rounds
15 yards: Draw and fire 1 precise shot in 2.5 seconds. Peform 3x 3 rounds

***Federal Air Marshal Tactical Pistol Course***
Course is shot cold- no warmup.
Target is FBI "Q" target (bottle-shaped center zone)
All at 7 yards. 30 rounds.

Start position /Course of fire/Time allowed/# of times performed/total time allowed/total rounds
1- From concealed holster/ Fire 1 round/ 1.65 sec./ 2x / 3.30 sec./ 2 rds.
2- Low ready/ Double tap/ 1.35 sec./ 2x / 2.70 sec./ 4 rds.
3- Low ready / Rythym (6 rds at 1 tgt-no more than .6sec splits) / 3.0 sec. / 1x / 3.0 sec. / 6 rds.
4- Low ready / 1 round, speed reload, 1 round/ 3.25 sec. / 2x / 6.5 sec. / 4 rds.
5- Low ready / 2 targets, 3yds apart, fire 1 round each tgt. / 1.65 sec. / 2x / 3.30 sec. / 4 rds.
6- From concealed holster./ Facing away from 3 targets, pivot, 1 round each./ 3.5 sec. / 2x: once pivoting left, once right. / 7.00 sec. / 6 rds.
7- Low ready/ Load 1 rd, fire 1 round to slide lock, drop to knee, reload, fire 1 round. / 4.00 sec. / 2x / 8.00sec. / 4 rounds.

Cannot exceed time limit for any drill.
Scoring: Hits in center "bottle" worth 5 points. Hits touching line, or outside of bottle, but still on target worth 2 points.
Max possible points- 150 Minimum to qualify- 135

***Drills used at N.T.I. XIV (from NTI website- tacticalteddy.com)***

Drills are performed under the watch of judges, and critiqued for procedure/tactics. You are given a problem, and allowed to solve it as you see fit.

1- Start at 4 ft from 3 turning targets, flanked by 2 no-shoots. Draw, shoot from retention, engaging all 3 tgts in 3 sec. Peformed 2x.
*Judges watching for- Movement off line of fire. Shooting from retention. Hits on targets.

2-Same targets, but you step back to 10 feet. Draw, move to cover, engae all 3 with 2 rds each in 5 secs. Cover is available on right and left- your choice.
*Judges looking for- Quick movement. Good use of cover- without crowding. Accurate shot placement (cardiac triangle).

3-DTI Dance. At 7 yards. The three targets turn. Draw, fire until you get a failure (R.O. has loaded a dummy ctg somewhere in your mag), perform tap-rack-bang, shoot to slide lock, reload, fire 2 more rounds into each of the three targets. Total (live) rounds used-12.
*Judges watching for- About anything.

4-This one, I don't know the distance or number of targets, but found it intersting nonetheless.
Steel reactive targets set to NOT fall if only hit center mass. Tests ability to recognize a failure to stop and take appropriate action.
*Judges watching for- Movement off line of fire. accurate shooting. Recognition of failure to stop, and adapting to it.

***Mexican Defense Course***
Used by the SWPL in the '60's.
From Ken Hackathorn's Tactical Advantage column in American Handgunner.

6 targets
Par for each stage is 5 seconds.

Stage 1- Start walking away from targets. Sometime after crossing the 10 yard line, the signal will sound. Upon signal, turn, engage T1 with 6 rounds.

Stage 2- As in Stage 1, but shoter will engage T1 through T6 with 1 round each.

Stage 3- Walk toward targets starting from 15+ yards away. After crossing 10 yard line, and signal sounds, engage T1 with 6 rounds.

Stage 4- As in Stage 3, except engage T1 through T6 with 1 round each.

Stage 5- Start moving laterally at 10 yards out. At signal, engage T1 with 6 rounds while still moving.

Stage 6- As in Stage 5, except engage T1 through T6 with 1 round each while moving.

Mr. Hackathorn likes this drill because it's a lot harder than it appears to be to get it right. You have to stay sharp and think, rather than just going through the motions.

***Street Survival Test 2000- by Jim Higginbotham***

I feel that this drill really rewards accuracy. I like it.

2 IDPA targets, 1 yard apart edge to edge. (indoors, 6" apart)
Done cold, and from concealment. 10 rounds.

1A- 5 yards: Draw, fire 2 rounds on tgt 1. Par: 1.5 sec.
1B- 5 yards: Draw, fire 2 rounds on tgt 2. Par: 1.5 sec.
2- 5 yards: Draw, fire 2 rounds on each tgt. Par: 2.5 sec.
3A- 10 yards: Facing 90 degrees left. Draw, fire 1 round each tgt. Par: 2.25 sec.
3B- 10 yards: Facing 90 degrees right. Draw, fire 1 round each tgt. Par: 2.25 sec.

Scoring:
-5 points for each shot out of center zone.
Add .5 second for each point down.
Calculate: 1000 divided by (total time+point penalty)
Expert- 95+

Examples-
Example 1- Total time of 9.0 seconds, with 5 points down.
9.0+2.5(point penalty)= 11.5
1000 div by 11.5= 87 score

Example 2- 12.0 sec, 15 pts down
12.0+7.5= 19.5
1000 div by 19.5= 51 score

Example 3- 8.5 sec, 0 down
1000 div by 8.5= 118 score

******Original Bill Drill******

It's a little different from what I usually see in print; which is 6 rounds as fast as possible, while keeping them in the "A" zone.

1 target at 7 yards

String 1- 6 rounds slowly, making the smallest group possible.
String 2- 6 rounds with about .5 second splits.
String 3- 6 rounds as fast as possible WHILE STILL GETTING YOUR HITS.

***Dave Spaulding's Close Quarter/Covert Pistol Skill Drills***

From 20 feet, using 8" circles, or paper plates as targets.
Perform each drill twice, for a total of 30 rounds fired.

1- From ready, 1 round on 1 target. Par 0.8 sec.
2- On target, 2 rounds on 1 target. Par .5 sec.
3- On target, 1 round each on 2 targets. Par 1.0 sec.
4- On target, 1 round, reload, 1 round, in 1 target. Par 3.0 sec.
5- From concealment, 1 round on 1 target. Par 1.5 sec.
6- From concealment, 1 round each, on 3 targets. Par 2.8 sec.
7- From concealment, sidestep, 2 rounds on 1 target. Par 2.0 sec.
8- From concealment, kneel, 2 rounds on 1 target. Par 2.0 sec.

When able to perform easily, reduce target size.

***LFI(Lethal Force Institute) Standards- Massad Ayoob***

This is from LFI-I. In the LFI-II and advanced classes, the drill is ran at double-speed.

One IPSC target.

1- 4 yards: Low ready, weak hand, 6 rounds, 8 seconds.
2- 4 yards: Holstered, strong hand only, 6 rounds, 8 seconds.
3- 7 yards: From ready, freestyle, 6 rounds, reload, 6 rounds, 25 seconds.
4- 10 yards: Cover crouch, 6 rounds, reload; high kneeling, 6 rounds, reload; low kneeling, 6 rounds, 75 seconds.
5- 15 yards: Weaver stance, 6 rounds, reload; Chapman stance, 6 rounds, reload; Isoceles stance, 6 rounds, reload, 90 seconds.

60 rounds total, 300 points possible

*****I was going to put John Farnam's DTI qualification course here, but looking at my notes, they don't look right. I'll have to get his book out and check.*****

That's it for now. Maybe more later.

#20 ·
Yeah, all these drills sound great and i would love to start practicing some of them, but all that i have been able to locate are traditional "lane only" style shooting ranges. if anyone knows a place to go in the Dallas TX area please let me know.

#23 ·
Tueller drill

This one will hammer home how fast a BG can move and how slow the average draw is.
You and your shooting buddy stand back to back, shooter facing downrange. Your buddy has his hand held behind him in contact with you. With no warning, he takes off at a dead run (AWAY FROM THE FIRING LINE!) Loss of contact is your only clue to draw and fire, your pal stops at the shot. This is the minimun distance at which you can stop a quickly advancing, determined attacker. Was your shot good enough? Too far off COM? Keep practicing. I do.

As for getting you kids or wife behind you in a threatening situation, sometimes, not all the time, the most effective way is to advance on the threat and reposition yourself, not the family.

#24 ·
practice drills

3 books that I've found useful in further developing my practice plan:

A SHOOTER'S APPROACH TO PRACTICE by Sam Conway
(this one is my favorite)

PERFECT PRACTICE by Saul Kirsch
(IPSC oriented, but very interesting)

REFINEMENT & REPETITION by Steve Anderson
(these drills can be fired either as dry fire drills or with live ammo)

And as other posters on this thread have already mentioned, the TACTICS column by Rick Miller in COMBAT HANDGUNS always has some very interesting stuff. I wish Rick would come out with a book or DVD of all of his courses of fire . . .

And search some of the other on line forums like WARRIORTALK or TACTICAL FORUMS or THE FIRING LINE or THE HIGH ROAD or POLITE SOCIETY because this topic comes up often.

#25 ·
100 round practice drill by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch

100 round practice drill
based on a practice drill described by
CLINT SMITH of Thunder Ranch
in American HandgunnerMagazine
January/February 2006
Pages 32 & 88​

(adjust the round expenditure of each stage as needed based on the capacity of your magazines)

STAGE ONE/ 5 or 7 yards: Warm up drills/focus on accuracy

Load 3 magazines with 10 rounds each.

From the holster, draw and fire 10 sighted pairs. Focus on accuracy. (20 rnds)

From the ready position:
Strong hand only, fire 5 singes. Focus on accuracy. (5 rnds)
Weak hand only, fire 5 singles. Focus on accuracy. (5 rnds)

STAGE TWO/ 5 or 7 yards: The Mozambique Drill

Load 3 magazines with 10 rounds each.

From the holster, draw and fire two rounds to the body and one round to the head (aka "The Mozambique Drill" or "Failure to stop" drill). Be smooth. Focus on accuracy. Perform this drill 10 times. (30 rnds)

STAGE THREE/ 5 or 7 yards: Practicing out-of-battery reloads

Load each of three magazines with two rounds each. Out of battery reloads:

From the holster, draw and fire two, reload, fire two, reload, and fire two.
(2+2+2=6) Perform this drill twice. (12 rnds)

STAGE FOUR/ 5 or 7 yards: Clearing failure to fire malfunctions

Load each of 2 magazines with 4 live rounds and one inert "dummy" round. The dummy round should be neither the first round in the magazine nor the last round in the magazine.

From the holster, draw and engage the target, clearing the malfunction with a "tap-rack-ready" malfunction clearance whenever necessary (8 rnds)

STAGE FIVE/ 10 and 15 yards: Accuracy at a distance

Load each of 2 magazines with 10 rounds each.

At 10 yards, from the holster, draw & fire 5 sighted pairs (10 rounds)
At 15 yards, from the holster, draw & fire 5 sighted pairs (10 rounds)

(A "sighted pair" is a type of "double tap" where a separate precision sight picture is taken for each shot)

#26 ·
Ken Hackathorn 30 round practice drill

Ken Hackathorn 30 round self defense practice drill (using one IDPA target):

1. From 5 yards, allowing 1 ½ seconds, beginning at "low ready," one shot to head.
Repeat 3 times.

2. From 5 yards, allowing 2 seconds, beginning with gun holstered, one shot to head.
Repeat 3 times.

3. From 5 yards, allowing 2 seconds, beginning at "low ready," strong hand only, two shots to body.
Repeat 2 times.

4. From 7 yards, allowing 2 seconds, facing 90° to left of target, gun holstered, two shots to body.
One time only.

5. From 7 yards, allowing 2 seconds, facing 90° to right of target, gun holstered, two shots to body.
One time only.

6. From 7 yards, allowing 2 seconds, facing target, gun holstered, two shots to body.
One time only.

7. From 7 yards, allowing 4 seconds, while backing to 10-12 yards, three shots to body.
Repeat 2 times.

8. From 10 yards, allowing 3 seconds, beginning with gun on target and round in chamber, change magazine and fire one shot to body.
Repeat 2 times.

9. From 10 yards, allowing 3 seconds, beginning with gun on target and slide locked back, change magazine and fire one shot to body.
One time only.

10. From 15 yards, allowing 2 ½ seconds, draw and fire one shot to body.
Repeat 5 times.

HOME

#27 ·
CENTRAL TEXAS STANDARDS -- MODIFIED

This course of fire was originally developed by IPSC shooters Chip McCormick and Ronin Coleman.

PROCEDURE: Set up three IPSC targets in an "El Presidente" configuration 1 meter apart. The left target is A, the middle target is B and the right target is C. The course is a series of timed-fire Virginia Count exercises. Misses and shots not fired incur no penalty. Overtime shots are -5 points. Starting position is standing. Vary the starting position between hands clasped in front, hands at the sides, and hands in the "surrender" position.

Score and tape targets after each stage. 125 total rounds fired.

STAGE ONE-- 50 yards
Target A. Standing to prone, one round in 7.5 sec. 5X (5 rounds)

Target B. 2 rounds in 5.5 sec. 4X (8 rounds)

STAGE TWO -- 35 yards (out of battery reloads)
Target C. 1 round - reload - 1 round in 5.5 sec. 6X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 25/125

STAGE THREE -- 25 yards
Two rounds each on Targets A, B,C, six rounds in 10 sec. 2X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 12/60

STAGE FOUR -- 15 yards
One round each on Targets A,B,C, three rounds in 3.0 sec. 3X (9 rounds)
1 round - reload - 1 round - reload - 1 round in 5.5 sec. 2X (6 rounds)
One round weak hand only on each target in 3.5 sec. 2X (6 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 21/105

STAGE FIVE -- 15 yards
Two rounds strong hand only on Targets A,B,C in 6.0 sec. (6 rounds)
1 headshot on each target , 4.0 sec per shot (3 rounds)

STAGE SIX -- 10 yards
2 round on each target, 2 rnds in 3.0 sec. 2X (12 rounds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 21/105

STAGE SEVEN -- 10 yards
2 rounds to the body, 1 headshot in 3.0 sec. Repeat on each target 2X(18 rnds)
Target C. 2 rounds in 1.5 sec. (5x) (10 rnds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 28/140.

STAGE EIGHT -- 7 yards
Target A. 1 headshot in 1.5 sec. 6X (6 rnds)
Target B. 2 rounds in 1.5 sec. 3X (6 rnds)
Target C. 1 round - reload - 1 round in 4.5 sec. 2X (6 rnds)

TOTAL ROUNDS/POINTS: 18/90

The time limits on this drill are tight and should be increased for shooters using practical holsters. An IPSC Grand Master should be able to "clean" this drill regularly.

To calculate percentages: total points divided by 6.25.

Variations:
 Add no-shoot targets covering the right C/D zone of Target A, the left D zone of target B, the right D zone of target B and to the left C/D zone of target C.
 Paint the bottom half of all targets black (from the base of the A zone on down) and score hits in hard cover as misses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.