1911Forum banner

Optics on a Carry Pistol

904 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kwo51 
#1 ·
Small red dot sights on a pistol seem to be the new rage. How practical are optics on a carry pistol? How may here use optics on a carry pistol?

#2 · (Edited)
Now that they are approved for some pistol games we will see a ramp up in the development and use in duty and CCW.

Versions that co-witness the metallic sights so that battery failure allows sight alignment are already in use. I would not hesitate to use one in this configuration.

(Our club has allowed red dots for shooters over 65 in our pistol games for several years. This has enabled the "grey beards" to keep em in the A-zone for a few more years. Some of our "70 somethings" myself included, are still in the top third of the scores!)

Regards,

#3 ·
Not necessarily the new rage, people have been doing it for decade(s). I experimented with one maybe five years ago.

It is generally a performance enhancer but it is not an automatic performance enhancer. There is a learning curve and many folks experience an increase in accuracy but decline in speed. People with bad eyes and less skilled people love them, at higher levels people need to put in time to catch up to their irons shooting. However, once learned well, they enable a lot of good things and push capabilities further. Works fantastic in low light and very long distance shooting, on the move too.

The Achilles heel is that there is no really a carry ready red dot that doesn't suffer from one thing or another. Trijicon RMR is considered the best option but only a blind will not see quite a few reports of it failing. It also has a relatively small window. It is still the best option, just not the ideal. Leupold DP Pro is the best for actual shooting but has poor battery life. SIG Romeo 1 people don't have a lot of experience with. All of these have an exposed emitter. Aimpoint T1 is bombproof but too big to ccw and its window is small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.