1911Forum banner

An Old One - And Stupid

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Slow bullet guy 
#1 ·
My four great grandfather Thomas Fletcher lived in upstate New York right on the Canadian border.

When the War of 1812 kicked off British troops invaded; marching down the road in front of his farmhouse.

Incensed, Thomas grabbed his musket, stood on his front porch, and fired into the British ranks. The British halted then fired a volley that turned Tomas into a pile of goo on his own front porch, then marched on.

Fortunately, his infant son Samuel Fletcher, my three great grandfather, was in a crib in the rear of the farmhouse and was not hit by the return fire.

Self-righteous indignation and impulsiveness are not assets in a gun fight.

Sadly, five generations of filtering DNA have not removed that instinct in me. I can see myself being equally stupid in such a situation.

Think!

#2 ·
Similar thoughts, are we training our minds

I've had similar thoughts. As I read these forums, and sometimes in my own thinking, I react more agressively than makes sense. And on the forums, I'll often read, 'well, there's another guy who got what was coming'. But that's not the real goal.

The goal isn't the destruction of someone else, it's the preservation of ourselves and our loved ones. And I think that actually should become part of our training. Not just how to pull the trigger, but 'what will I do if...'

Yeah, we're not going to come into a situation exactly like your forefather's. But if we think ahead, maybe we'll be slower to pull the trigger, or make a little more certain that our own kids aren't standing right behind that bad guy. Because those things happen, too.

So maybe a little less macho, and a little more mind.

Just a thought,

Navy

#3 ·
I don't have a clue what my ancestors were doing then. Your grandpa had balls. You probably wouldn't know a dang thing about him if he didn't do what he did. Doesn't make it smart!, but he went down fighting. Lucky the house wasn't raided and Grandpa#3 was spared to become a man. Now you have a lesson to pass on to your youngens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.