1911Forum banner

Problem in Illinois

6K views 52 replies 39 participants last post by  Alacrity 
#1 ·
I was traveling back to Michigan last Saturday when I stopped for the night in a small town in Illinois. As Illinois does not recognize my Michigan Concealed Pistol license, I secured my pistol in my motel room before going to dinner. I must have forgotten Jeff Cooper's color coding as I got out of my truck before looking around. As soon as I locked the truck, I was accosted by a panhandler demanding money. I told him I had nothing for him, got rather stern, and he walked away. I'm glad I'm 6' 4" and weigh 220 pounds as I'm afraid things would have gotten ugly otherwise.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

I'm thinking about avoiding Illinois in my future travels.

#3 · (Edited)
yea, it has happened several times throughout the years...Most recent, loading up my car with groceries in the shop-rite parking-lot. Luckilly, I did (and aalmost always do) keep Mr. Cooper's teaching in mind. I always scan parking lots plain and simple, not only for dirt bags but for stupid people driving. So I see a well-dress women walking toward me very briskly. Now mind you, I always park away from other cars if I can, so obviously this is weird, why is she coming towards me? I commanded her to stop and at about 50' away she did. "No lady, I ain't signing no petition!"...That was the start. As she was walking away, some scumbag started approaching from the other direction, not 180 degrees behind me, but maybe 130 degrees to my rear. Again, I was scanning. This SOB comes right up to me asking for "money for the bus". He was young- like maybe 30, looked in good health, dress well enough, so I ain't giving him crap, go get a job. He was right I'm my face, so I kept the shopping cart between us in a pivot as he tried circled around it. He gave up and went away...No carry here, but if I could, I would have had my hand on the holstered gun at the point he was very close and who know if he has a knife. In the mean-time horary for shopping carts! ;-)...As everyone knows, there is very little time to react to these things. Best to start in condition yellow, ready to go to orange, etc.

Oh yea, was the dame working with the SB-dude? Who knows, but it was very "coincidental" for sure I got "doubled-teamed" in that instant.

#4 ·
"Has anyone else had a similar situation?"

---------Man, has anyone NOT?

I get hit up for money at least twice a month. Maybe more.

Example: There's a convenience store between my office & home we call Skeezy Eleven.

It is NOT possible to stop there without being pan-handled. Usually twice, once when entering, then when exiting too. It's not that big a deal. Any that crossed the line have wilted when challenged. And I'm a small dude.

Hey, That's life in the Big City.

Your burg of Roscommon must be a quaint town indeed if you don't deal with this on a regular basis.

So don't write off all of Illinois. It's a large city thing. not a state thing. Even Chicago is safe if you aren't in a gang or hangin' in The Projects.

Heck, the only time I've been fully attacked was in Paris! And I will certainly go there again.

#5 ·
Spend enough time in third world countries.

And you will get tuned up pretty quick if you are smart.

#7 ·
Not very often but was "approached" at a gas station last month. Pulled up to gas pump. Vehicle on other side of island, adjacent pump, empty as occupant(s) were inside paying I assumed. I started pumping gas in my vehicle. Young, scuzzy male with pants sagging down around his knees, underwear exposed and female exit store and get in vehicle. Female then exits vehicle, starts in my direction, asking if I would give her money for gas since their card "doesn't work". Shook my head and issued firm "no". Female returns to vehicle and they glare at me long enough that I'm thinking something bad is about to happen. I move to other side of my vehicle and get my hand on concealed handgun. Finally, they start vehicle and drive to pump island on other side of station. No license plate or temp tag on their vehicle. Female gets out and starts panhandling other customers. I finished pumping gas, quickly went inside and warned attendant, and got the heck outta there.

#8 ·
I saw a great video on Youtube a while back.

The guy was driving through downtown Detroit at night. All I could think of was how much it resembled driving through the seedy part of Lima or maybe Lagos. Or some such place. The third world is now local.

#9 ·
On vacation in Mass 20 years ago wife and 1yr old in car I was filling up with gas. Scumbag starts walking briskly towards me, I pull out gas nozzle, hold up lighter and firmly tell him to BTFO... he turned and left abruptly!!!

I'm much better prepared now...

#10 ·
I can agree, it seems that the big city inner regions have turned into a third world seedy areas that you are not supposed to be in at night and even in the daytime it may be bad. It sort of reminds me of Brazil's Rio De Janeiro Favela areas (slums) where the gangs will shoot any strangers that stray into their territory.

#11 ·
Getting hit up by pan-handlers is standard stuff. One shouldn't be frightened by it.

Keep aware when approached, decline to give money, then send them away / leave.

These losers know the drill, they've been shut down 1000 times before, while begging all day, every day. You will be forgotten instantly. It's a Non-Event.

Little old ladies & school kids rebuff pan handlers on a regular basis. It shouldn't scare a grown man.

Just stay on point, dismiss them, then forgddaboutit.

#13 ·
I used to do deliveries in downtown St. Louis back in the 70's. Panhandlers were pretty common even back then. I had a wino come up to me one day asking for money so he could get something to eat. I reached into the cab of the truck and gave him a sandwich from my lunch. You would have thought I handed him a snake! He walked away and threw the sandwich down.

#14 ·
Homeless in big cities usually have plenty of charity infrastructure to rely on for meals & clothing.

The people begging for cash are mostly trying to get cigarettes, booze, or dope. Or fast-food rather than the stuff at God's Helping Hand or whatnot.

Many don't stay in shelters because they don't like the "Bullsh***" Rules" Like no fighting or liquor!

Plenty would not / could not stay in an apartment or work any kind of job if you gave them one. Yes, It's a sad situation.

Keep this in mind when well-wishing folks talk about "ending homelessness" ---------------------------That's NOT POSSIBLE without forced roundups & involuntary internment in holding camps.

I used to work with these guys for a ticket-scalper. They were strawmen to buy concert tickets (6 per customer) I'd fill a bus with them. This involved plenty of chatting while waiting in line.

In my opinion, about 75% have no capacity to live indoors or stay employed anywhere. Not without months or years of therapy / re-hab & mentoring.

Just too far down the rabbit hole of mental illness or just Wrong-Thinking. Add the drugs & booze and they are a lost cause.

So giving them cash is useless. Donating to programs that have a track record of successful rehabilitation is FAR more useful.

#15 ·
It must be a sad thing to believe you need to be armed, just because a pan-handler approaches you. At your size, most would not intentionally start an altercation.
Pan-handlers are in every state of the union, including Michigan. You going to boycott all of them???

#17 ·
Eh... Panhandlers.

About 20 years ago a friend and I were on the way home from Vincennes to Wabash. We were in my Jeep, a CJ5, and we'd left the top in Wabash. Nice weather, and we'd gone down to sign me up for college and to camp.

We decided to go through Indianapolis instead of taking 465 around. We needed gas besides.

Well... I walked in to pay, and a gang was hanging out talking to the clerk, who was behind armored glass.

I was dressed like a country boy, wide-brimmed hat, boots, a black t-shirt I wore tucked in with an open denim shirt I wore untucked because it covered the Taurus PT92 I carried at the time, made before Taurus went to crap.

Now, these boys stared at me, and I stared at them. They were a rare scene for me, and I'm sure they'd seen nothing like me before. I said "howdy" and smiled, and they said "sup man" and smiled.

I paid and walked back out to the Jeep where my friend, who open-carried a Glock 19, sat, watching my back.

Miraculously, we were not accosted.

Panhandlers? No. I don't see that they'd scare me. Just be aware of what folks are doing, and position yourself accordingly. A word or two in greeting can really mess up a person, if they're deciding whether to attack. I've not thought of OODA in years, but realize I've not seen it mentioned lately.

Utilize OODA and interrupt that of a potential assailant, and you'll be just fine.

Regards,

Josh

#23 ·
Agreed. Nearly all are just folks with mental issues workin it for free drugs, booze or all the above.
I will say it gets my radar up when some dirtbag aggressively approaches me from the front asking me what time it is, if I has a dollar, waving his hands, etc.
I quickly glance behind me before I address him. I politely say no, offer a stern look and keep my distance.

#20 ·
I can't believe you guys don't know that pretending to be a 'panhandler' is how muggers manage to approach potential robbery victims, so anytime you are approached by one is a 'condition red'. This is why you would want your pistol on you at that time in case the 'panhandler' tries to get ugly - not so you can shoot somebody but mainly to be your last resort if he decides to push the issue and put your safety into jeopardy.

#22 ·
This is how I see it.

But, I come from a place where I have not ever seen a panhandler. So I guess I'm not conditioned to think they are all harmless. If I am approached by one, more than likely it will be an innocent encounter, but I will be thinking about the above scenario just in case.

#24 ·
That's why in an earlier post I wrote

"keep aware when approached, decline to give money then send them away / leave"

Yes, of course be on the ready. As one always does when skeezies are present.

I'm an urban guy. This is a regular occurrence I have dealt with for 30+ years.

I think it's like sharks. People who don't dive are often unnecessarily scared of them. But those with experience are not.

That does not mean we bathe in chum & go swimming. You respect the danger but no need to freak out.

#27 ·
The only time I have given anything to a panhandler was awhile back in the old part of KCMO.

An old guy was sitting on a corner near a liquor store and asked me "I'm a buck short for a bottle of "T" bird, can you help me out ?"

His honesty got him the buck.....

#28 ·
Living near the rez I see it a lot. My main response is "my tax money already goes to pay you to do nothing, go get a damned job if you want booze I work for my money, you should try it sometime"

Most of them don't like it...... I really don't care though

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Panhandlers

It must be a sad thing to believe you need to be armed, just because a pan-handler approaches you.
I can not agree with the above logic.....? I conceal carry to protect myself and loved ones..... When some disheveled person approaches you, you do not know them or their intent....if they demand money, then you know they are a panhandler. However, as others have posted, some act like a panhandler when their motive is armed robbery....they want to get close.

Quite a few years ago, I took my wife to dinner. When I got out of my car, I was going to open the car door for my wife, but was interrupted by a very unclean and ragged looking man with a beard walking toward me about 25 yards away that demanded money as he approached me......I told him to stop and don't waste his time, since I don't give my money away...... He glared at me and kept walking toward me......
I lifted my shirt and placed my hand on the butt of my concealed carry weapon, looked him in the eye, and said, "If you don't leave right now, someone is going to get hurt...!" He got the message and with eyes wide, he backed up, turned, and briskly walked in the other direction. Once he ignored my commands to stop.....I had no idea if he was a panhandler or perhaps was going to rob me...... Once my wife and I finished our dinner, I was constantly scanning the parking lot to get to our car, but thankfully, there was no further incident....

#30 ·
That can happen to you just about anywhere. Theres beggars all over. Ive had it happen to me in various cities and its never really bothered me. Im all for helping out the poor but I have a rule that I wont give you money unless youre actually doing something to work and improve your position in life (and begging doesnt count).

#31 ·
I go on day trips into Tijuana ----- a bout 30 minutes from my house in San Diego. Unarmed, of course (per the law)

Most pan-handlers there are trying to wash your car windows, sell you gum, or somehow offer a good or service. Not just straight-up asking for cash.

To me, the Mexican technique is more respectable.

Btw, we have plenty of illegals here. Outside of Home Depot they try to solicit day labor jobs from people buying concrete, drywall, lumber, etc.

Meanwhile, out on the street medians, are non-Mexicans, with signs, asking for handouts in exchange for nothing.

Btw, Rwehavingfunyet----- I would have left for another restaurant after brandishing on that hobo. Because of possible BS claims made to the police, or car vandalism.

#32 ·
On the other side of the coin.

If I get a certain feeling about a person, I will sometimes give them money. Call me soft or wrong or whatever, I do not care. Most people are only a couple of bad decisions away from being in dire straights. I have been through tough times myself. They could be me.

Fortunately I have managed to do well for myself in these later years. So I do not have an issue with showing a little generosity to people down on their luck. Say whatever you like.

#35 ·
If I get a certain feeling about a person, I will sometimes give them money. Call me soft or wrong or whatever, I do not care. Most people are only a couple of bad decisions away from being in dire straights. I have been through tough times myself. They could be me.

Fortunately I have managed to do well for myself in these later years. So I do not have an issue with showing a little generosity to people down on their luck. Say whatever you like.
I'm with USMM guy and try to help out when I can. If I get a hint of track marks or heavy drug use I just go about my business. But more often than not I will walk them over to McD's/burger joint, let them order, swipe my debit and tell them to take care. Sometimes I'll also give them $5 sometimes I wont. My wife and I are doing okay and the $5-10 here or there doesn't put us out any. My thinking is if it did put us out I could just self park instead of using valet next time we dine out. I grew up (pretty poor) watching my parents tithe every week. Only to watch the church build a ridiculously massive building and the preacher send his son to law school off the backs of those struggling. I've always sort of despised organized religion (read mega-churches) since then and told myself if I ever made it I'd give directly to those in need.

I've also been down and out, though not homeless just stranded with no cell service. I made it only due to the generosity and kindness of strangers. I had someone not just stop late at night to give me a ride to a service station but returned me to my vehicle after. When offering what little reimbursement I could I was given a smile and told "just pay it forward." Those words struck deep and 15-20 yrs later they still ring in my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.