1911Forum banner

Off duty LAPD discharges firearm in scuffle with teen

9K views 92 replies 57 participants last post by  FightinTXAggie 
#1 ·
Watched the video of the altercation and it appears to me the off duty officer had unitentionally discharged his firearm.

It also appears to me the officer did just about everything wrong that he possibly could have from start to finish.

Thoughts?

#76 ·
Cop was wrong.

I watched the video many times from several cell phone videos. The cop apparently has had a ongoing issue with kids on his lawn. Has he? Turned into that old man that starts a freak show when he sees the trespass happen? Sure to egg the kids on if so. It is also a logical and cognitive reasoning deficit if he is letting this bother him. There are a fair number of kids around. I cannot not determine why,but I believe this a school bus stop. Now what led to the escalation. Waiting for or getting off bus. Trespass! FREAK SHOW SHOUTING!!! Little boy said. "You can't talk to a lady like that!" cop " I didn't say that" "YOU said you were going to shoot me" Boy "no I said I was going to sue you." boy You said GET OFF MY LAWN YOU F---ING CU-T". "You cant talk to a lady like that!"This little kid put himself out for a girl. Tried to stop the verbal abuse and was attacked by the cop. Watch the freethoughtproject.com. You will see people murdered, tail wagging dogs called over and shot and the escalation techniques used by the cops. There are many other thing going on in the video including the negligent discharge.

#77 ·
I watched the video many times from several cell phone videos. The cop apparently has had a ongoing issue with kids on his lawn. Has he? Turned into that old man that starts a freak show when he sees the trespass happen? Sure to egg the kids on if so. It is also a logical and cognitive reasoning deficit if he is letting this bother him. There are a fair number of kids around. I cannot not determine why,but I believe this a school bus stop. Now what led to the escalation. Waiting for or getting off bus. Trespass! FREAK SHOW SHOUTING!!! Little boy said. "You can't talk to a lady like that!" cop " I didn't say that" "YOU said you were going to shoot me" Boy "no I said I was going to sue you." boy You said GET OFF MY LAWN YOU F---ING CU-T". "You cant talk to a lady like that!"This little kid put himself out for a girl. Tried to stop the verbal abuse and was attacked by the cop. Watch the freethoughtproject.com. You will see people murdered, tail wagging dogs called over and shot and the escalation techniques used by the cops. There are many other thing going on in the video including the negligent discharge.
***You say----"the cop was wrong". That's your opinion. Here's a thought--------if the kids stopped messing with his property by continually wandering across his lawn, this goes away before it escalates and gets out of hand.

***There are continually problems in our country caused by immigrants who are here illegally. Doesn't mean those who are here legally can't also cause problems, but the illegals start off on the wrong end of the stick-----by law, they aren't even supposed to be here.

It's called respect, for what's right---and what's wrong. Damn too little of it in this country now-a-days.

And that's my opinion.

#80 ·
Regardless of right or wrong - off-duty cop, pissed off that a group of teenagers are always trespassing his yard - my common sense mind says - I'm outnumbered, even though I'm a cop, I'm outnumbered. Go inside your house, call 911, identify yourself as an off-duty cop, and you're concerned about the safety of your family and the possible vandalism done to your house and yard. Then let the on-duty officers do their job.

Regarding the video shown - I think he (foolishly for it) fired a warning shot into the ground. To be involved with a group of teenagers, X numbers versus 1 guy - back off, go inside and call for backup.

The hardest part in all of this - he lives there; as does probably many of the teens. A tough situation - unless he plans on moving to another neighborhood - he needs to make peace with the kids. I know most of you will scoff at this thought; but if he doesn't move and neither do they there will always be bad blood...a no win situation for everyone.

#83 ·
This is the long and the short of it right here.

You have to ask yourself at some point. How far am I willing to escalate this confrontation with these juveniles? Not being there certainly puts me at a disadvantage. However before introducing firearms to the mix. I might very well consider spraying down this apparently belligerent group of youths with pepper spray and see where that goes. Additionally I might just as well get used to the fact that these same kids will cross my lawn on their way to the bus stop and not be up in arms about it. Each to their own.

#82 · (Edited)
In the town I grew up in we had juvenile officers specifically trained to deal with youth. I remember as a teenage kid on my dirt bike ripping up and down the lawn of a grade school property ( baseball and soccer fields) the local law man came, found me and my buddy hiding in the woods and then radio'd in for a juvenile officer. Although we complied when found, no guns were pulled.

#84 ·
It's already been said here but I'm going to say it again. Today we are reaping what the Communists in the teachers unions and other forces in America have sown. Children have been given more 'rights' to report their parents and have child protective services come crashing through the door. Children know that if anyone in authority at a school so much as touches them they can cause a huge ruckus.

This has resulted in teenagers thinking they have much more right to confront adults in authority than ever before. We've all probably know kids who we grew up with even in the years where respect for Police officers was nearly universal who were simply bad apple punks. But most of us grew up with a health respect for the Police.

When I grew up, in school and in the streets if you got out of line in a serious manner you were whacked and whacked hard. Whether the scum, Communist social scientists want to admit it or not, kids are like little animals and need to be taught who is in charge and how to act in polite society. For those who are interested in my own child rearing experience: I have two kids. Both are now over thirty and doing pretty well. Along the way, my wife and I took no guff off of either of them and we did it politely but insistingly. In both cases I hit each one once and only once and it wasn't very hard at all. They both were in the process of throwing a fit of some sort over some little issue that is lost in the mists of time. Also in both cases, they were so shocked that I actually laid a little violence on them that they instantly stopped their ridiculous behavior and apologized to their parents. Both incidents were never mentioned again and never held over their heads in any way. They were brought up from the age of zero to be polite and respect their elders as long as their elders respected them. They were required to come up to adults who visited our home to politely say "hello" and introduce themselves if they weren't known to the adult. After that, if they stayed in the room they were encouraged to be part of the conversation; no matter the subject. When they were very young this yielded a lot of funny times. When they got older these conversations gave them an incredible maturity and confidence at a very early age.

The teens on that video are punks and the two who physically intervened with the Police officer should be hauled in and charged with felony obstruction of justice.

#86 ·
^^^^^
+1911.
Thx, SPK. We're now a team total of 2 on this one! It was getting kind of lonely living here in the "Twilight Zone" all by myself.:biglaugh: Nobody ever said getting older and seemingly out of touch with the "rest of the world" would be easy! :(

Maybe my take on this will show I have no business showing up for jury duty! :rock:

#85 ·
Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown were also 'juveniles'. Both tried to kill somebody. One was even a uniformed deputy. That is not to say what this guy did was right but only to say that 'kids' have killed plenty of people already, even cops. Age really shouldn't be a factor as they are just as dangerous as an adult if they want to be.
I'm still not sure he fired that round on purpose either. As clumsy as his left handed draw was while same time dragging the kid thru the hedge I think he just booger hooked a round unintentionally. If he did in fact fire a round on purpose than that makes him even more stupid.
Even though this has been an ongoing problem he still should not have left the safety of his home to go confront a whole group of kids. That's just wrong.
And I'm surprised it took the Dept only a day or so to announce no charges would be filed against him.
In then end though like I said these are already unruly disrespectful kids. He should have known better. Wally and the Beav would have certainly apologized and not done it again. These kids will be smashing his car and home windows for years to come. He's probably already looking to move.

#89 ·
I have just one question.
What law did the teenager break by walking on the officer's lawn? That was the basic premise here, that the officer was enforcing the law with respect to his property.

Around here trespassing requires that the property be at least 1.5 acres and posted with a no trespassing sign.

You can't arrest someone for walking on your lawn as no law has been broken. The Officer was announcing his annoyance with lawn walking and making threats backed by armed force to school kids who walk across his yard.

This escalated into assault. Who here understands the term Mutual combat as it relates to self defense? At best this became a mutual combat situation, but in reality the Officer was the aggressor.

#90 ·
I have just one question.
What law did the teenager break by walking on the officer's lawn? That was the basic premise here, that the officer was enforcing the law with respect to his property. . . .

You can't arrest someone for walking on your lawn as no law has been broken.
. . . .Did you find the CA code for this? Section 602 m, seems to contrary to your position

This escalated into assault. Who here understands the term Mutual combat as it relates to self defense? At best this became a mutual combat situation, but in reality the Officer was the aggressor.
I'll be the first to say, I don't understand mutual combat regarding SD. I understand assault, resisting arrest, and obstruction of justice.

Officer yells at girl (get off my lawn), boy yells at officer, (with a threat?) The CA code for threats is quite liberal, if you read it, a PO may have PC and RS to detain, which means that trespassing is not the issue for the apprehension of the boy. It's section 422.

Officer attempts to detain boy, boy resists arrest, (a crime in CA, section 148), more youths cause obstruction. (see Section 148)

I won't defend the wisdom of his decisions, but if there is PC to detain, then an officer is within their rights to arrest, and to use appropriate force to overcome the suspect's resistance.

One can easily make the case that his actions were not illegal. Or one could argue that 422 doesn't support his actions, such that detention was unwarranted.

In a more perfect world, I would have liked him to defuse the situation, then went to the boys house just before dinner time, and had him arrested, driven downtown, booked, etc. (or maybe, right before he was going to school the next morning, so all his peeps could see him taking the ride)

peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.