1911Forum banner

Desk Gun

3K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  2ndamendmentnut 
#1 ·
We all probably keep a 1911 close to hand where ever we spend considerable around the home, even if you carry around the homestead. If you have a gun or loading room this is a likely place for a designated pistol. I'd like to see what others depend on.

Will try to get Rosco to post a pic of my choice.

Mine is a 1944 GI Colt; home 'smithed, loaded with 230gr HS.

#4 ·
Rosco

The Queen refuses to clean the gun room. Probably best that way! God forbid she finds an invoice or two!

out

#6 ·
I hear that! I would likely be in trouble myself if mine knew how many Wilsons I have now. I keep my TSG Pro on my hip and with me at all times, and my backup when working "in the office" (10 feet away from my bed) is a Wilson Pro in .45 that is Turnbull Charcoal blue. I noticed those 10-round mags close by in the picture, nice choice.

#9 ·
I keep some revolvers placed in strategic locations around the house (all three levels); da wheel guns mostly to keep it simple for my wife.

#11 ·
My current desk gun.

It happens to be a S&W model 10-5 nickel 2" revolver.

#12 ·
My computer is in the master bedroom, and my nightstand gun (Glock 19) is close by so I see little need to keep another one in my computer desk. If somebody breaks in while I've got headphones on blasting out rock music I doubt having a pistol in the desk in front of me is going to do much good anyway.

#14 ·
S&W model 10.

Everything you need and nothing that you do not.

Attachments

#16 ·
The one in my holster ...

... and the holster stays in arm's reach.

All recent invaders have been from four- to six-legged. For the former, since none has exceeded 7kg (15lb), I keep reasonably quick access to a .22 CO2 pistol: two successful defenses, both one-shot stops, in five years with its .177 predecessor. For the latter, none exceeding 2g, (1/15oz)* AirSoft and a 'Bug-A-Salt'. Dozens and dozens of successful defenses with each.

* Only one was that big: a palmetto bug (read: giant cockroach) that my daughter called "the dead animal in the bathtub". Mass is estimated via SWAG. It was ~6cm AKA 2 1/2" long.

#17 ·
I never really got stuck on any one particular handgun platform for home use through the years. In days before legal licensed concealed carry here in Ohio it was often a 1911 because that's what I had the most trigger time with at matches.

There was a period of years that Cowboy Action shooting had most of my attention, so a Ruger Vaquero usually followed me around from room to room in mi casa.

Now it's more like the gun chosen for carry drives what I'll be shooting for practice and competition, instead of the other way around. That means what Rosco would likely call a soulless polymer pistol such as Glock 17 or Smith and Wesson M&P. Been a while since I switched back to 1911s or their Belgian-born cousins the Hi Powers.

#19 ·
Up until recently it was a Ruger SR9c and extra mag in the drawer by the computer. Now it's a S&W 10-6, 4 inch. That and the CH Target Bulldog .357 in the left hand drawer with a speed loader, are the guns to get me to other guns/locations.

#25 · (Edited)
We should make a list of possible scenarios where a grip safety would prevent a negligent discharge. No flame intended. I just can't thing of any except:

1/The thumb safety is off and the shooter is twirling the gun on his finger like an old western trick shooter.

2/The thumb safety is off and the shooter is moving the gun across his desk by putting pressure on the trigger only.

3/The thumb safety is off and a piece of clothing gets caught on the trigger while holstering ala Glock but then the grip safety would probably be depressed anyway.

4/ (I'm out of ideas. Anybody?)

Seriously, I can't think of a good reason not to tape the grip safety like the OP did. Grip Safeties don't work for every hand size and shape.

#24 ·
Excalibur

The guns you refer to above the desk are some of my modest accumulation of S&W 22 Kit Guns. There are 13 of them in the display case. It's another weakness.

#27 · (Edited)
It's a pity the late Col Cooper never learned the "correct grip," on a 1911. He wouldn't have had to pin, tape, or otherwise deactivate the grip safeties on his guns.

As for me, I can depress the grip safety or I can ride the thumb safety, but I can't do both. It's a matter of hand size and shape. If the grip safety works for you, I'm happy for you. But they are a dangerous nuisance for me and others.

#28 ·
Again, what's the downside to a grip safety? If you can't hold a pistol correctly, either due to poor technique or "hand size and shape"; tape it shut. ;)

#29 · (Edited)
The down sides are having to modify the gun to make it work for the individual shooter. Also, the openings around the grip safety are an avenue for dirt or sand to enter the action possibly causing a malfunction.

The question is, "What are the upsides to a grip safety." What kind of AD/ND is a grip safety likely to prevent?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.