1911Forum banner

9mm, how long until you trust it?

6K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  Gutschott 
#1 ·
Hi all. Have a duty coat DW Valor bobtail 9mm in route in 2 weeks, and have a couple questions.
First, ive heard for decades that "a 1911 for serious use is a government model in .45".

With this pistol, how many rounds, or what would you like to see before you would consider it a trusted enough weapon to carry? Would you buy other brands of mags to use if it has issues, or send it back to DW? I dont expect any issues going off of their reputation. I briefly owned a 10mm dan wesson (my only 1911 ive ever owned) and it wouldnt feed more than 2 rounds without jamming, so that got sold and left a bad taste in my mouth, despite how nice that PM-10 felt. When you are 21 and poor and spend 1100 on something that doesnt function, it doesnt bode well.

But Im older and wiser now,and giving a vbob a chance as the perfect aiwb pistol!

#36 ·
I've been shooting 1911s since the 50s when the Army issued me one in Korea. You were lucky if you could run the 3 magazines of ammo through it before you were out the door with it. Cleaned and lubed it loaded it up and went to work. May be just lucky, but functioned fine for me and it was an Ithaca. Since then I can usually tell in the first 100 rounds if there is a problem and then it usually is a magazine problem. Currently shooting 1911s in 9mm, 38 Super and 45 acp by the following makers, Taurus a 9mm and 38 Super, Springfield couple of 9s and a pair of 45s and one lonesome old Colt LWC 45 from back in the 60s. All are kept cleaned and lube and function flawlessly and accurately. Treat them right and they will treat you right.

#38 ·
9mm gun used for EDC

With this pistol, how many rounds, or what would you like to see before you would consider it a trusted enough weapon to carry?
IMHO, I would only use a 9mm gun for self defense that can reliably feed JHP bullet profiles. A 9mm that feeds FMJ bullets without issue, may not feed JHP bullets reliably.

Fortunately, you may not need to go to the range if you have the ability to reload ammo, and can make dummy rounds (no primer or powder) to check how well the gun will feed different bullet profiles. Simply load the 9mm magazine to capacity, insert the mag in the gun, point the gun in a safe direction, then pull back and release the slide each time a dummy round feeds until you have hand cycled every dummy bullet in the mag. If they do not cycle properly using dummy rounds, they most likely will not cycle properly at the range when shooting live ammo. If I have issues with JHP bullets not feeding and cycling by using dummy rounds, I will fix the gun until it will. I have taken guns to the range to be fired for the first time and have never had issues with the gun working properly. When I shoot a gun for the first time, with either a gun I purchased or one that I built, I may shoot 200+ rounds during my range session, and use different magazines to see how well the gun performs. I will also conduct accuracy tests, and shoot off the bench at 35 yards or more. If the gun performs without issues after firing 200 consecutive rounds in one range session, it is good to go for either competition, self defense carry, or both.

I am a DIY gunsmith, and have built various caliber 1911 and 2011 guns. I always check how well the gun feeds with JHP bullet profiles, since I find they are more accurate, and better for self defense to create maximum wound damage when there is enough velocity of the loaded round to create good and effective expansion.

I use 124 gr. Precision Delta JHP bullets for IDPA competition in my STI 2011 9mm. I get excellent accuracy with JHP bullet profiles....:rock:

#41 ·
On a brand new weapon, I like to shoot about 200 rounds of whatever type rounds the weapon was originally designed to use (i.e. - 1911s w/230gr. FMJ, AKM w/122-123gr. FMJ, etc.). After that, for an EDC, I will start testing for accuracy and function by shooting 4-5 5-round groups with a particular load. If the accuracy is acceptable in that weapon, I will pick the JHP that has been the most accurate and start testing for function. If the weapon will hit 150 rounds of that particular load will no problems, I'm comfortable with carrying that weapon with that particular load. If I have a FTE, then the round count goes back to zero and I try for the 150 with no problems again. If I get another FTE, the weapon doesn't get carried with that load and I'll try the second most accurate load I tested. If that makes it with no problems, it is what gets carried. If the weapon still has a FTE with the second load, the pistol doesn't get carried until I've found the problem (mags, extractor not tensioned properly, etc). Then, the testing starts again. If the problem is a FTF, I immediately start trying to determine if the mags are the problem by using other manufacturers mags. If the problem goes away, fine. I'll use the other mags in that gun. If it won't go away, I'll run FMJ through the mags to see if that will function. If it will, then I change to a different JHP. If it doesn't, then the weapon doesn't get carried until I've found the problem. After the problem is fixed, if the problem was with the weapon, I start the testing all over again.

#42 ·
For me, 1911's are like dating a good looking blonde.......you love holding them, looking at them and spending time with them.....but you don't trust your luck without going through some time together, lol.

Added to that are my experiences with 1911's that are less than 5".

It seems that they have taken me more time to build that trust than their full sized counterparts.

And yet another level of doubt for me would come from going with any other caliber than .45acp.

You did well by going with a DW. They don't make any junk. They seem to have a great reputation as a company that builds quality guns and stand behind their product.

I'm going to assume that you'll invest in high quality magazines and that you'll run a good bit of your carry ammo through it in multiple range sessions, too.

1911's take a bit more care and tlc than some guns, not unlike that good looking blonde....but you are rewarded with that sweet 1911 trigger and smooth handling.

#43 ·
Testing your Defense Gun

I just posted this in another thread:

I "Break-In" every new pistol with a few hundred rounds from the bench then hammer it out in USPSA matches. Best way to test pistol and gear.

A USPSA match demands a lot from shooter, pistol and gear. I'll oil it and shoot close to 1K rounds before I clean it. I vary the ammo and shoot one match with carry ammunition.

When finished, I am confident my pistol is ready to defend my life.

#44 ·
Follow the 500 round break-in period that is outlined in your Dan Wesson owner's manual. After that I would run some popular and common JHPs through it using Wilson Mags. After shooting about 150-250 rounds of JHPs then I'd call it good. BTW I wouldn't keep it dirty until it is completely broken in.

#47 ·
For a 9mm 1911, the biggest hurdle to reliability is usually the mags. Don't skimp on quality! Reputable brands like Wilson or Tripp are your best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.