1911Forum banner

A recommended reading list.

115K views 93 replies 70 participants last post by  cfwii1979 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Like many of you, I'm interested in learning how to increase my knowledge & skills. I take as many classes as I can but I also read a great deal because it's less expensive and I can fit it into whatever time I have available. The following is a list of books that I feel offer value. Hope it's of some use to you.

General:

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens. If you were to only buy one book, this would be the one. It doesn't go into great detail but covers just about all pertinent areas well.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. Another excellent all-around reference on the subject of personal defense. While it was first published 30+ years ago most of the information is still relevant.

Technical:

The "Some of the Answer" series by Jim Crews. They are available for pistol, carbine & shotgun and all have intricate detail. I know of no other books that do as good of a job at the technical aspects of shooting a firearm.

Gunhandling and Tactics:

Combative Fundamentals by Jeff Gonzales
Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
Modern Technique of the Pistol by Greg Morrison

All of these are outstanding but Gonzales' is the most universal as it covers both sidearms & longarms. His descriptions are great but the book could use more pictures or illustrations. Honorable mention goes to the Tactical series by Gabe Suarez with his Tactical Advantage being the best.

Mindset & Mental Conditioning:

Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper has to be #1 as it provides the cornerstone on which most other books are based. At only 44 pages, it has more valuable information than any other book available.

On Killing by Dave Grossman. I don't agree with everything he has to say but most of the book is very well done and worth the read.

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Kecker makes some valid points and although he has some fairly anti-gun sentiments, I'd still suggest it.

Deadly Force Encounters by Artwahl/Christensen is a case study analysis of real confrontations and the effects on the participants. It's the real story of several people who have "been there."

Breakout by Martin Russ. This is the story of the Chosin Reservoir campaign in the Korean War and although it's clearly biased to favor the USMC, those guys prevailed in the face of truly overwhelming odds.

Speed and Accuracy:

Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

Both do an excellent job of providing information about increasing your speed (even if biased toward isoceles stance)

(I also really like Matt Burkett's DVD's on this subject)

Know your Enemy:

Inside the Criminal Mind by Stanton Samenow is an excellent piece on why criminals behave in the manner they do.

Specialty books:

Fight at Night by Andy Stanford is the authoritative text on dealing with low light conditions.

That's enough rambling from me. If you have some favorites, I'm sure we would all like to hear about them.

See less See more
#52 ·
I'd like to amend my previous list (Priciples of Personal Defense- Cooper; Tactical Reality, and More Tactical Reality- Awerbuck; and Fighting Smarter- Givens) to add one more.
Actually, it's a series.

Jim Crews' "Some of the Answer" series includes seperate books on handgun, carbine, and shotgun, plus a fourth book "From Behind the Line" about his observations as a firearms instructor.
I'm not sure if it's the only form it's available in now, but he had been doing a special run this summer on CD-ROM. It includes all four of those books, and is available in a printable, or read-only form. The four book series costs about what a single book would.
It's good info (I especially like Behind the Line) that should benefit anyone.

#54 ·
Lots of good references. I was looking through my bookshelf and came across these ones.

"She Who Dared" Undercover work in Northern Ireland against the PIRA. Jackie George and Susan Galloway

"The Operators" Same thing but different author, James Rennie.

Both of these books offer some great insights and stories from members of 14 Intelligence Company, a unit about whom almost nothing was known until the last ten years or so. There is much to learn in these writings about handling oneself on hostile streets. Timeframe is 1980's.

#58 ·
I would also like to recomend “The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning”.

In the interests of 100% transparency I am a cadre instructor for John Farnam in the Pacific Northwest and DTI. Even so I recommend John’s book along with all the great suggestion already posted.

#64 ·
A little off subject...

I know it's not a "shooting manual" of sorts, but since this thread is for a recommended reading list, ya'll need to read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. I just finished it tonight. I knew SEALs were tough, but holy sh*t! It's an amazing story and a prime example of what our Military is capable of doing over there. Very sad, yet very inspiring!

#65 · (Edited)
"Meditations on Violence" by Rory Miller is perhaps the finest book I've ever read that addresses the psychology and physiology of violent encounters on a person who wants to defend themselves. Really, a must read for anyone who carries.

#69 ·
"Bullseyes Don't Shoot Back"

Thanks to all for the titles. Can never get enough knowledge. Has anyone read the book -"Bullseyes Don't Shoot Back", Textbook of Point Shooting for Close Quarter Combat, by Rex Applegate and Michael Janick? It looks to be worthwhile. I am ordering it and will report. Art of War has been the original text on indirect strategy and deception. It deals on the level of nations and armies rather than personal combat. Relating it to personal self defense in martial arts and gunfighting is not much of a stretch and essential reading. As always- you fight like you train. Train 24/7.

#70 ·
can any one recommend a book on modern pistol marksmanship , mainly focused on 1911?

everyone seems to be going away from the Weaver stance to the iaisosceles Stance , from what I can tell
and I would like a good reference , I have just started shooting service match

thanks
Dave

#71 ·
Equally important to marksmanship and gunhandling skills is combat mindset. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman!!!!!!!
Would also reccomend Lt. Col. Danny McNight!!!!

Magpul, Gunsite and Thunder Ranch....I would trust them all!!!!

#79 ·
This thread looks to have been going on for years, but I thought that I’d add a couple of books that really helped me take my game and confidence to the next level: “The Art and Science of Basic Handgun Accuracy” by W.W. Butler and it’s companion follow-up; “The Armed Option: Zen in the Art of Combat Pistolcraft” by W.W. Butler. Both are pretty quick reads, talking about the immediacy of conditioned action...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.