1911Forum banner

A recommended reading list.

115K views 93 replies 70 participants last post by  cfwii1979 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Like many of you, I'm interested in learning how to increase my knowledge & skills. I take as many classes as I can but I also read a great deal because it's less expensive and I can fit it into whatever time I have available. The following is a list of books that I feel offer value. Hope it's of some use to you.

General:

Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens. If you were to only buy one book, this would be the one. It doesn't go into great detail but covers just about all pertinent areas well.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. Another excellent all-around reference on the subject of personal defense. While it was first published 30+ years ago most of the information is still relevant.

Technical:

The "Some of the Answer" series by Jim Crews. They are available for pistol, carbine & shotgun and all have intricate detail. I know of no other books that do as good of a job at the technical aspects of shooting a firearm.

Gunhandling and Tactics:

Combative Fundamentals by Jeff Gonzales
Handgun Combatives by Dave Spaulding
Modern Technique of the Pistol by Greg Morrison

All of these are outstanding but Gonzales' is the most universal as it covers both sidearms & longarms. His descriptions are great but the book could use more pictures or illustrations. Honorable mention goes to the Tactical series by Gabe Suarez with his Tactical Advantage being the best.

Mindset & Mental Conditioning:

Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper has to be #1 as it provides the cornerstone on which most other books are based. At only 44 pages, it has more valuable information than any other book available.

On Killing by Dave Grossman. I don't agree with everything he has to say but most of the book is very well done and worth the read.

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Kecker makes some valid points and although he has some fairly anti-gun sentiments, I'd still suggest it.

Deadly Force Encounters by Artwahl/Christensen is a case study analysis of real confrontations and the effects on the participants. It's the real story of several people who have "been there."

Breakout by Martin Russ. This is the story of the Chosin Reservoir campaign in the Korean War and although it's clearly biased to favor the USMC, those guys prevailed in the face of truly overwhelming odds.

Speed and Accuracy:

Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

Both do an excellent job of providing information about increasing your speed (even if biased toward isoceles stance)

(I also really like Matt Burkett's DVD's on this subject)

Know your Enemy:

Inside the Criminal Mind by Stanton Samenow is an excellent piece on why criminals behave in the manner they do.

Specialty books:

Fight at Night by Andy Stanford is the authoritative text on dealing with low light conditions.

That's enough rambling from me. If you have some favorites, I'm sure we would all like to hear about them.

See less See more
#27 ·
pangris said:
Need to add -

Book of Two Guns by Tiger Mckee

Intro by Clint Smith

Excellent read. TR grads will recognize a lot of the material, and learn a lot of new stuff as well.

Paul
Paul:
After reading your review I bought one on Amazon and hope to have it next week. I couldn't find where Tiger was selling them on his sight.

Hey, just curious, is that his real name?

#29 ·
I just finished Tiger McKee's Book of Two Guns and all I can say that if you're looking for a peripheral brain on shooting tactics, either stuff you learned or have forgotten this may be the book you have been waiting for. I think Gun Site and Thunder Ranch graduates will recognize a lot of the material within the book. It is written by hand and the author drew all the pictures. It was a training diary that was reorganized and published. I give it 5 stars.
Book of Two Guns

#33 ·
I've recently read and would add these books to the list:

Deadly Force Encounters: What Cops Need to Know to Mentally and Physically Prepare for and Survive a Gunfight by Dr. Alexis Artwohl and Loren W. Christensen (Amazon Link)

and

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonazales (Amazon Link)

The first, is a complete survival guide that offers good information on pre-event preparation, surviving the actual event, and surviving the event aftermath, both legally and emotionally.

The second does not directly reference gunfights except once, but provides wonderful insight in to the nature of survival.

#36 ·
Dudge said:
Ordered Tiger's book off Amazon the other night, I hope to receive it soon. I'm gonna buy some more of these titles too, sounds like good info.
You won't be disappointed. I have 2 copies of the book and keep one at work to read when I have a few free minutes. The nice thing about the book is that it is packed with useful information in bullet or paragraph style. Sort of a Reader's digest of everything you wanted to know about operating a tactical handgun/rifle. It has a very strong Thunder Ranch flavor to it and I am using it as a study guide preparing for my return trip to TR in September for my 3rd pistol course and first rifle course.

#37 ·
A few new ones since I originally posted my list:

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram
Biography of the man who not only developed the OODA loop but was one of the finest tacticians in history.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell is about is about unlocking your unconscious mind so that you can make good decisions in the minimum time period.

Gates Of Fire by Steven Pressfield
The 480 BC battle of Thermopylae between 300 Spartan warriors and two million invading Persians is a must read for anyone wishing to improve their "combat mindset".

#39 ·
The Book of Two Guns by Tiger McKee is fantastic. The illustrations are excellent and new ideas I never encountered before abound. Still reading it since I received it in the mail.

Many thanks to pangris for his assistance in acquiring a copy. Thank you very much, Paul! :)

#40 ·
Welcome to the Real World by Bryan Williams. It deals with various issues, and is a great book that describes what carrying a firearm is all about. It has very good tips and strategies for living in today's world, even if you don't carry a weapon. It also has great pictures demonstrating various drawing techniques like the 1 handed reload. Written in plain english, very easy to understand and has many lessons for the novice as well as the professional.

The book has 2 different parts, the first being more about the mindset, awareness of your world around you, how to avoid confrontations, etc, and the second part is the technical issues associated with handguns and other self defense equipment (pepper spray, knives, holsters, etc). Lots of good info in a very easy to read format. Clear discussions, but doesn't bog the individual down with too much technical information. Some books are heavy into firearm tactics, different stances, draws, and it makes some beginners heads spin. This book gives the basic info as to different draws, stances, etc, but does so clearly and cleanly, without trying to push certain equipment or styles.

I consider myself a novice to CCW, as I have only been doing it for a few years, and this is a great book to get you some information without overwhelming you. Very easy for a beginner to understand, yet it still holds valuable lessons for any skill level. Great book to read before you start taking advanced courses. The author is an outstanding instructor and this is evident in how his book is put together. Highly recommended, even for people who don't carry a firearm!

#48 ·
Jim,

I thought it was a good book but like many written by people with comparable backgrounds, it was more a collection of thoughts or experiences that don't necessarily flow (and perhaps shouldn't as they weren't professional writers). Some of the books that made my list presented concepts clearly derived from F&S. I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet either of them as I suspect it would have been very worthwhile.

#49 ·
Very insightful. And I agree completely. Fortunately, I had several "Highly Motivated" interpreters and didn't realize that those training methods were being implemented until later. On different note, the one book that was mentioned above that I did NOT like was Askins "Unrepentant Sinner". (I recently sent my copy to a Forum member from another board). Again, more History than Info. (I also believe he was borderline nuts!) Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jim

#50 ·
LTC Grossman

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "On Combat" by Dave Grossman. Understanding combat psychology and physiology is paramount to any deadly force situation. Anyway, I found it to be an excellent read, especially out here and for those of us that are still... well... green.

#51 ·
Here is my short list of reading and reference on the subject.
  • "Shooting to Live" by Fairbairn and Sykes.
  • "Kill or Get Killed” by Col. Rex Applegate.
  • “Bullseyes Don’t Shoot Back” by Col. Rex Applegate and Michael Janich.
  • “The Close-Combat Files of Col. Rex Applegate”.
  • “Shooting For Keeps: Point Shooting For Close-Quarter Combat” by Rex Applegate (video)
  • “The Principles of Personal Defense” by Col. Jeff Copper.
  • "No Second Place Winner" by William Henry Jordan
  • "Defensive Use of Firearms" by Stephen P. Wenger
Though I have not read or seen these yet, they do come highly recommended by people I respect…
  • “Basic Gunfighting 101” by Michael T. Rayburn
  • "Instinctive Point Shooting: Street Proven Firearms Tactics” by Michael T. Rayburn (video)
Here's a few downloads/pdf files that may be of interest to members or guests...

USMC Close Combat 1999

USMC MA-1.02 Fundamentals Of Marine Corps Martial Arts

USA FM 21-150 Combatives 1992

USA FM 3-25.150 Combatives 2002

Hope these help someone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.