1911Forum banner

I drank the Tac pant kool aid

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  WobbleZone 
#1 ·
Ok I have always owned cargo pants and cargo shorts. They work extremely well for what I do in the summer months and that is fishing.

I don't pack around a big tackle box. A good fisherman doesn't need 1000 lures to catch a fish. I broke it down to a mobile tackle bag slung over my shoulder. Sometimes I would just put a few bags of plastic worms, hooks, bobbers, and weights in my cargo pockets and that would be great. Along with a bottle of water and other smal fishing accessories. I like to fish and move and having a big tackle box that I would have to keep picking up and putting down is worthless and wastes so much fishing time.

So I ordered some LAPG Urban Ops pants last night and got in on the 20% off. Ended up around 21 dollars per pant shipped to my house. These look way more modern than my baggy cargo pants of early 2000.

I'll update on usage and utility after I wear them for a few weeks

#2 ·
I am a big fan. Honestly, if folks don't like what I wear, I dont know what to tell them. I like the pockets (Phone, keys, knife, wallet, carry gun, mag, sometimes flashlight, etc, etc). The material is lighter than blue jeans and some of them look good as far as casual wear (To me). If people look at me and think "gun nut", well, they would be pretty accurate. They also dry faster when they get wet.

I spent 26 years in uniform almost all of that time spent in some type of BDU. One of the hardest things about civilian life is choosing what to wear and being comfortable. If they could invent a comfortable civilian uniform, I would be all over it!!

#4 ·
About 40 years ago I went cowboy tactical and started wearing Wrangler Slim Fit jeans. No extra baggy fabric flapping around to get hung up or caught on the fence, pockets snug enough that pocket knives, larger folders and small to medium handguns stay put and belt loops wide enough to wear a heavy 1.75 inch gun belt and the loops are placed in the proper places that work with most holsters. Can be made into ******* Tacticool Shorts when they wear out.

#5 ·
I've been tempted, as they look comfortable and all the pockets seem like they'd be handy. However, with the few cargo shorts/pants I've owned, those thigh cargo pockets always get caught on the low cupboard doors in both the kitchen and bathroom and I open the doors as I turn. It is annoying. I also can't reach the bottom of those cargo pockets unless I'm sitting.

I was in the USAF and never put anything in either the thigh pockets of BDU's or flight suits so ultimately the utility would be lost on me. However, some makers do make those pants without the cargo pockets and I may give those a try.

#6 ·
I just ordered a pair of the LAPG Atlas pants from Amazon. Came in $4 cheaper that way. I'm always looking for pants that are comfy to bird hunt in.

#11 ·
Correction...the pants I ordered were the URBAN RECON. Not the urban ops. The recon is made with 9oz duck canvas while the urban ops is ripstop.

Initial impressions are all great. Right out of the bag the pants fit perfect and the quality is top notch. I cannot believe I paid 21 dollars per Pant shipped to my house. The articulated knees and gusseted crotch lets me have complete freedom of movement without the pants binding up.

The duck canvas material feels quite tough and durable while still flexible and breathable. My favorite aspect is the cargo pockets that aren't below my knees like every other cargo pant I have ever owned. Anything in the pockets would always bang against the outside of my knee and become sore and it was quite uncomfortable. These keep the pockets a little higher on my thighs and much more comfortable. The very bottom of the pocket is right at the top of my knee.

Compared to much more expensive tactical pants these are equal if not better. The value is uncompareable. I am sticking with LAPG and buying more pants in the future.

#12 ·
After getting the Atlas pants, I'm not particularly thrilled with big ass spandex butt panel. It's kinda weird.

#13 ·
Funny thread...But yep, don't recall the brand (it had some numbers in the name), but have 2 pair which are perfectly fit for function and assessors at the range and built tougher then cargo. Perfect for range except in summer - too hot.

#14 ·
The BEST thing about these pants are the front pockets. Literally every other pair of jeans and khakis I own have tight front pockets. I use my front right pocket for knives and front left for my flashlight and phone.

Jeans are IMPOSSIBLE to have anything else other than my knife in the front pocket. These LAPG pants keep the tools low enough and have spacious opens that I can still easily slip my hand into the front pockets around the knife. I have another pocket again!!

#16 ·
I wear the 5.11 pants for the range with there blade and other pockets for magazines. I also wear there short sleeve shirts for conceal carry but never together. A little too tactical cool for me.

#17 ·
Always wore blue jeans for casual ...

Ok I have always owned cargo pants and cargo shorts. They work extremely well for what I do in the summer months and that is fishing.
... until taking my son on an unexpected safari in the RSA. During our equipment meeting the outfitter warned me that blue jeans do not impede the thorns in the Limpopo bush; get pants made from cloth with a tighter weave. He also advised that more pockets were advisable. So I bought two pair of Wrangler's ripstop cargoes since I was "only going to wear cargoes for the safari". My entire mode of dress required blue jeans including how to "dress around the gun".

Best laid plans.

After having those pockets for *10 days* I was addicted. Tried carpenter's jeans: nice try. Now nothing to wear that looks reasonable with my favorite ropers, Resistol palm-frond Summer nor Stetson felt Winter hats: stuck with trainers and a baseball cap.
j -;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.