1911Forum banner

who doesn't do idpa or uspsa or 3 gun?

8K views 100 replies 54 participants last post by  Mong0 
#1 ·
just wondering, for those that don't do idpa, uspsa or 3 gun, why not?

in my opinion, it's a perfect opportunity to get some practice with the gun(s) and gear you may depend on to save your life, under a little bit of stress. with being on the clock, and your buddies and everyone else looking on, definitely more stress than just hitting the range and doing everything in slo-mo. plus it's a bunch of fun.

#83 ·
I don't.
Any more. I used to shoot IPSC a lot but lost my range. I was getting good! Finished in the top ten behind Robbie Leatham in his prime in a couple stages at my best. After loosing the convenient range I soldiered on for a while but finally gave up and grew old, fat, slow, and blind.

#84 ·
For me trigger time is never bad but if one thinks just shoot the comp. games by themselves will make them a better shooter they better live a long time and be able to shoot for many many years. I've always thought that the comps. we're away to evaluate your homework if you do your homework you'll be successful at the games if all you do is shoot games to improve you will be very disappointed in your progress. Shooting your own is the time to practice what stung you in the game and all the comps.games are just that games. They all have to have rules if you can't stand rules then find away to have your own game with other people or by yourself. I love the social aspect of the game you get to spend time with like minded people. You can swap what works for someone that you may never have thought you can load info gun info and this is especially prevelant at a club shoot. At the club level most shooters will let you try out Thier equipment if someone broke thier gun there is at least 5 or more offering there back up gun. If they forget to bring ammo(happens more than I thought it would) there is always someone who has ammo for you to shoot. When it comes time to practice I prefer to do it alone I can practice what I need to work on I can practice bat my speed. But what it all comes down to is trigger it is never bad to have to time with your gun games are fun unless like me you have multiple sclerosis and get dqued every time you fall down or physically can't shoot weak handed but for me I'll take a penalty as long as I can shoot I'm happy I have the view the game is a way to learn things I wouldn't practice on my own. The stress of a timer can be deceiving at times and can be a big factor if you let it get in your head it can also teach you to concentrate on your plan keep calm and shoot your plan and that is helpful on the street or at home. So basically you can't go wrong either way if you have a plan

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

#88 ·
That's a fairly simple question. A large proportion of those millions barely shoot their guns, some almost never to truly never, and way too many simply suck at it. Competing is a very good way not to be like them.

#87 ·
simply put, time, money, interest. I practice when I can, wherever I can (usually in the desert) and also just do it for fun. being in a competition is fun and I've done it a few times, but it just doesn't ring my bell. For those who do it, all the more power to you, I just have too many other hobbies sadly.

#89 · (Edited)
We have a local range less than 5 miles from my house. That certainly helps out in the convenience aspect. We shoot what they call a steel match, steel targets in a IDPA format every month. Mostly same shooters every month, some are competitive time wise some like me compete against myself, trying to better than last shoot. Loose rules on what type of gun you bring, nobody is discouraged from joining in. We have lunch at the club house and then a second round is shot for those who stay around. Great day of camaraderie and shooting.

#90 ·
I was fortunate to fall in with some incredible shooters in the early days of IPSC. Learned a lot, travelled a lot (my home club is 3 hours away), shot a lot of pistol, went to SOF, made great industry contacts and developed many lasting friendships with like-minded folks. 40+ years later we still compete; mostly IDPA. Some folks have the drive to push themselves and some don't; pick your poison. We don't push as hard or fast as we used to but we still like a challenge. Sure beats the alternative.

#91 ·
It's true that with a very regimented practice routine and a range avaible to you, a shooter can accelerate their improvement of shooting skills. You need to have target's and stands, timer, steel target's and movers, walls and other props. Very few shooters have all this available to them.

If you found a hundred shooters who are doing practice like this, I bet at least 90 are also competitors.
It's great for those few individuals who can do this on their own, but for 99+% who can't, competition is the easiest way to practice more than standing in a lane and shooting.

#93 ·
My primary reason would be choosing which shooting discipline, that I currently enjoy & don't have enough time to do, to quit doing that to take up another discipline to not have the time to do.

I can't speak to the enjoyment level of those disciplines that I have never tried. All I know is that I love shooting Bullseye, Hi Power, and long range prairie dogs. And I don't have the time to devote to those.
Al

#97 ·
I don't do IDPA, because I found it to be the golf of shooting. ton of rules, many stupid. I did shoot a TON of USPSA, 3 gun, outlaw, steel, etc. It was a lot of fun, but the piling on of equipment, a long drive, a whole day spent in the sun, couple hundred spent in ammo all to win a couple hundred in prizes was a ton of work. I got better, I practiced, i did cardio on the range, I upgraded my gear and learned the ins and outs.

I am a better shooter because of it. with getting married and having a kid, I'm too busy at the moment. But i'll get back to it. competition drives people to be better and drives innovations in gear. I see no problem with that. They were the first to throw red dots on pistols and now old school players make guns like that. Same with comps, weird loads, tons of advancements.

Shoot what you like to shoot. the divisions are so a revolver guy isn't up against an open gun guy.

#98 ·
Not the least interested in competitive shooting. Everything in life doesn't have to be a competition to be fun or useful.

You get the same type of attitude on many other forums - if you're not doing XXX competitively you're weak, have an ego problem, not honing your skills, etc. Yeah...sure I can't make really good BBQ unless I've done it competitively - whatever...

Same with shooting. I just don't care to do it competitively and am not the least bit interested.

There are far more things I rather be doing with my time than practicing for competitive shooting or going to matches.

Don't particularly care to be on a bowling team either....

#100 ·
I started shooting bowling pins just to improve my shooting it helped a lot and gave my practice days a goal but in short order I found I wasn't shoot for the competition part it was for the chance I had to make new friends and I have made some really good friends and the competition is a distance 2nd or 3rd or 4th I don't have to win to have a good time or to improve. Some people are so competitive that they don't ever appear to have any fun unless they win. Compete don't compete shooting should be something you enjoy a stress reliever so what ever works for is what you SHOULD do. Only you know what works for you. I would however encourage anyone who has thought about it to try it it maybe for or not but you'll never know til you try. Life is short don't wake up one day and I wish I would've. Either way you'll know what makes you happy

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.