1911Forum banner

Why is level 1 armor impossible to find?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Chowser 
#1 ·
Does this stuff exist anymore? I tried really hard on google to find level 1 soft armor (Rated for only .380 and .22) because I figured it might be so light that I can have it added into my coats and other gear and perhaps even wear under a light shirt.

I realize that it is only rated to stop the lower calibers but in most situations in bad areas the common threat is fairly often from small .22s and other cheap/stolen guns. Even if it's not going to pass NIJ deformation testing with say a 9mm ir .45 it will still (hopefully) prevent a penetration.

Basically I see level 1 armor as the same as bringing a .380 vs no gun at all. Class 3a and 2 is great but can't really be worn all that often.

#2 ·
probably because people figure if they are going to wear anything they would want it to be substantial. I'm not sure I would place my bets that all I'll run into is a 380 or 22 when a level 2 shouldn't be crazy more money or effort.

Granted I'm a civilian that doesn't go into bad places at bad times, so not overly worried about being shot on a day to day. I do have some class III stuff for if it gets really bad or to protect the wife/kid during a tornado.

#4 ·
That's very similar to my situation, I don't except a real chance of getting in a gunfight but as you said, it's difficult to wear armor day to day.

I was hoping to find a level 1 system that CAN be worn nearly at all times in comfort to give an admittedly unlikely to be ever used advantage

#6 ·
Sorta, I just mostly want to have the option open to me if I want it. Think of it as more of a "What if" mentality more than anything else.

The only time I would consider wearing it daily is if I worked somewhere known to be dangerous (I don't currently, plus I open carry if I want to and don't foresee that changing) or if I'm going to a dangerous city or something like that.

Serously though I just want one for the sake of having one. Same reason I own a truck that I put a 408ci stoker engine with meth injection and a NOVI2000. I simply want it.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.