1911Forum banner

SOB Carry

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  smitret 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

My meme is Colton I am in a wheelchair.

I have a horizontal SOB holster that I usually wear. I really enjoy it because when in my chair it is hidden very easily. I find it comfortable all day, with the exception of the tight belt. I feel like I have to have my belt really tight or my gun will learn away from my body. I am not worried about retention my holster holds the gun well. Is there any suggestions on how to keep the gun more snug against my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Take a look at the "ride" of different holsters.

A "high ride" has the belt going through the holster lower, thus leaving more of the gun above the belt, causing it to be able to lean over, especially with a narrow, thin, or limber belt.

A lower riding holster will put more gun below the beltline, holding it closer to your body.

Obviously, all things being equal, the thicker, sturdier belt won't allow as much lean or twisting as a thinner one, so look at that when assessing your gear.

Good luck.

Edit to add, I'm not sure how many horizontal rigs there are to choose from, so you may be SOL and subject to availability. Might be able to get something with extreme cant but not quite horizontal, that would put more gun below the belt.

#4 ·

Obviously, all things being equal, the thicker, sturdier belt won't allow as much lean or twisting as a thinner one, so look at that when assessing your gear.
Assuming the OP isn't currently using a gun belt, a proper gun belt would probably make the biggest difference for him.

As a baseline, the 5-stitch Wilderness Instructor belts ( http://www.thewilderness.com/belts/ ), either the standard or Frequent Flyer would be a good place to start. They are fairly inexpensive and infinitely adjustable. A leather gun belt would probably even be better. We have a few leather belt makers on the forum, and most of the holster makers produce a gun belt.

A&G is one of our belt maker forum members http://agcustomgunleather.com

#5 ·
I am using a heavy duty carry belt. When I'm sitting in my chair it's no problem. It's more of when I'm transferring into my truck. I guess I just might be unforgettable that it lends our a little. But if I cinch my belt down to where it is too tight, it stays tighter to my back. But it hurts to wear the belt that tight. Is there better choices as far as belt? I am limited because the sig 1911 has the different slide. This was made to fit that gun by mtr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
A cross draw holster, carried at 01:30 may work, depending on what you're carrying. Optionally, if it's not a big steel gun, the belly band mentioned or a shirt with built in pocket or the gun should keep it easy to access.

My GF is paralyzed, just above her bellybutton and it's very difficult to find anything comfortable and useful. Lots of it depends on why you're in a wheelchair, what you can and cannot do. I'd think you're a prime candidate for a shoulder holster, but that's going to depend alot on climate......Well, so does the shirt with built in holster pocket. I may have missed you saying what size gun you're carrying.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

#11 ·
When seated, I find a shoulder rig or cross draw makes it much easier to access my heat. SOB and 4 o'clock is pretty much useless.

#14 ·
There is a vast difference between a belt and a gun belt. A regular belt will not hold any holster snug against your body. A gun belt will. Granted they are expensive but looks and wears better than a regular belt

#15 ·
How about fastening a holster to the inside of your chair next to your dominant hand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.