1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The only impact I'm feeling is ranges are closed

3K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
I've got to think there is a group of us nearly immune to the recent ammo and gun run.

Soon after I learned/started reloading Obama was soon elected and I learned my lesson HARD (component wise). Being a Californian I'm even more sensitive. I shoot a lot (competitively and practice), so I've hedged myself against political winds (which are never going my way).

As such, I was ready for Hilary to be elected, and never really went into my reserve.

So today I sit here without any interest in buying ammo or components, and I essentially have all the guns I want, and the worst of it is of course there is no place to shoot, or anyone to shoot with/compete against. So even if I bought a cache of ammo what would I do with it?

I see all these news stories about ammo/gun runs, and forum threads, and think...........Meh :rock: I'm good.

I can't be the only. Who's with me.

#2 ·
I shot 10 rounds today.

In my dining room. 10 meters. Airgun. Dime-sized groups from sandbagged benchrest on the dining table.

Airguns are a magnificent way to keep sharp. My favorite is my old 377 Benjamin .177 pump. Not the most accurate, but the most honest.

I can't stand my Norica springer, even tho she's my most accurate. It feels like an AR.. *SPROINNNNNNNG* :biglaugh:

Yeah I laugh but I resent not being able to shoot for real. 1, there's no ranges open. 2, if I shoot 3 boxes, I replenish with 6. No one's got ammo. So my war stash remains.. for war.

#3 · (Edited)
At this point, I'm good.

I've been practicing ******* Social Distancing..........

Attachments

#4 ·
Thankfully I know someone who has a great personal range, I have 500 yards practically on demand to play at. Was there yesterday getting a slew of rifles zeroed at their respective ranges of 50/200 or 100Y/M and tested at 200/300

Nothing quite like hitting a paint can cap from 300 on the first shot

#5 · (Edited)
Fellow inmate of California here. I too have all the components and guns I need. And I also shoot competitively (USPSA) and am really missing the matches. However, I still have access to the range.

My club has canceled all meetings and events but we can still use the range. I went yesterday morning and had the entire club range to myself.

https://youtu.be/WGGzu2qPxvk

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Here in the San Fernando Valley, I'm missing my two regular ranges. Was just getting ready to zero in my M1 Carbine when the lockdown came. For now I'm just doing dry fire with my .45 RIA...also at night in the dark with no lights and old iron sights. And yes I would like a little more ammo and so I'll pick it up this weekend.

#7 ·
East Bay, here.

By the time Newsom was elected, I had enough ammunition on hand to outlast him and his successor and still go shooting whenever I please. Now my local range is closed, as are all the ranges I know about, and since I can't go shooting I'm cleaning and repairing all my firearms, checking and mending my other gear, and putting everything in order and in place.

#8 ·
Tons of ammo, ranges close, It doesn't bother me right now, I am more interested in replenishing my food stocks at the moment, and keeping away from sick people :). Being over 60 and 13 years of Chemo, I like to keep things in "perspective" ;-).

I enjoy the crap out of my SIRT lazer gun and my real guns dry firing religiously in the mean time. I day/week SIRT; 1 day/week regular gun of my choice.

Life goes on, the ranges will open again, the food, the ammo will flow.

#9 ·
I'm fortunate, one of my local, (40 min drive), is still open, it's outdoor, they are closing every other station. Heading out there today to zero my AR red dot. I'm still working although my hours have been cut. I'm still getting up at the same time although I don't have to be there till an hour later. What am I doing with the extra hour, re-loading! I have lots of components though I'm not sure they will outlast my free time. I can always rearrange the gun safe again, then there is always some yard work needed.

#12 ·
All ranges, indoor and outdoor, public or private in this area are closed. Since I live in a subdivision, I cannot shoot in my back yard. I am suffering from withdrawal!!! I have a recently purchased from the CMP, a Winchester M1 Garand and no place to shoot it! AARRRRR!!!

#13 ·
Isn't it ironic that we have finally come to a time when the government has stopped us, albeit temporarily, from buying guns and being allowed to shoot them?

I agree that air guns are a good stopgap measure at the moment. A few months ago I posted about how I finally dug out some of my old Crosman and Daisy air guns from when I was a kid, dusted them off, replaced bad seals and got them up and running again. I then went out and bought some modern ones that are even more fun to shoot. It's good to be able to shoot something just to relieve the boredom of being cooped up at home all week long.

#20 ·
Isn't it ironic that we have finally come to a time when the government has stopped us, albeit temporarily, from buying guns and being allowed to shoot them?
It does raise the question, giving all the "Next Civil war" thread's we've had this year, if anyone's views have changed. Not to say what they "want" to do if the SHTF, but what they truly believe "will" be the reality if the SHTF...After this is all over might be good to have: "Next Civil War, Post CV9 Reality" thread and see if it is any different :).

#15 ·
Getting so I can't put together the time and ambition to go shooting anymore. I grew up where I could walk out the back door shoot out to 50yds right off the porch , or a short walk thru the woods to any longer range I wanted. There was also the old country landfill , and every spring unearthed a wild assortment of targets.

Now I gotta pack up the stuff , drive 20mi to the gun club , and shoot paper targets only off a bench at 50 , 100 or 200yds.

#19 ·
As my luck would have it, I renewed my gun club membership on last Sunday and ALL the ranges in Ohio got shut down on Tuesday. :(

#22 ·
I see all these news stories about ammo/gun runs, and forum threads, and think...........Meh :rock: I'm good.

I can't be the only. Who's with me.
I am. I remember the last time there was an ammo shortage and I would go to some of the stores that sold ammo. I honestly saw people with shopping list of ammo in different calibers trying to buy some and there was none to be had. It just kind of felt good to know that I already had enough put back that I could share with family and friends if they needed some.

#25 ·
My club closed both the indoor range, club house and outdoor range. The clubs on both sides of my town are open outdoor ranges still.

#26 ·
I’m blessed with having my own place to shoot that’s 10 minutes or less away including opening and closing the gate. I shot today and 2 other days this week. Only limiting factor this year has been abundant rain. I’m well stocked on ammo but I’m shooting more conservatively now.

Joe A.

#29 ·
Yup, both the Crosman 357 and Daisy 880 have been mine since I was around 12 years old. Both needed new seals when I finally got them out of storage, but being fairly common models I found the parts I needed on eBay. Both are quite accurate with pellets. The 880 is wickedly powerful with ten pumps, and with a steel BB will shoot right through a galvanized garbage can. What's cool is that it'll shoot with just one pump for safer indoor practice. I don't believe the 357 is made anymore but you can still find the 880 for sale at Walmart.

The most fun one though is the Crosman/DPMS SBR, which is the AR lookalike. It's full auto, and all controls except the forward assist actually work just like the real thing. You can even mount standard AR accessories on the rails. The only part that sucks is the fact that it has a high rate of fire yet the magazine only holds 28 BBs, meaning the fun is over before you even reach full grin.

(that's what she said)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.