Anybody Using Kydex for 1911 Carry - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 AM

I use Kydex primarily because it is thin and light. I want my carry rig to be as unobtrusive as possible. I'm currently carrying a little Kimber Micro 9 in a minimalistic kydex holster of my own design. It is so small, light and thin that it is sometimes easy to forget I even have a pistol on me. Plus, with that particular pistol/holster combo, I can wear a tucked in dress shirt and it is unnoticeable except for the black clip over my black belt. Love it!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 PM

I used to use a kydex IWB holster. Then one day I sat in a metal folding chair & that metal chairs & rigid kydex holster caught a piece of my fanny between them! It was an eye opening experience! Haven't used kydex since!
Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 PM

I have some Kirkpatrick Leather holsters, and they are all excellent. Perfect fit for the 1911's they were designed for. But I have a newer White Hat Holsters kydex that has the leather backing...and just the Kydex pouch on the front. It fits all my 1911's....so I can carry whatever I want, and they all snap in just fine!
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Bravo concealment, and Raven for kydex.
Newer ones are not the same as the older versions though.
I don't ever feel bad about modifying kydex with file, rasp, dremel, or heat gun as needed.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
I used to use a kydex IWB holster. Then one day I sat in a metal folding chair & that metal chairs & rigid kydex holster caught a piece of my fanny between them! It was an eye opening experience! Haven't used kydex since!

Pain is a teacher that gives lasting lessons......I should know....I'm well experienced in all sorts of blunders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
Here's the thing I like least about Kydex. Drawing from the holster is LOUD. I prefer the ability to be discreet when necessary. With Kydex it's like blowing a whistle that the gun is coming into play.

It really can be.....unless you are using one of the Silent Thunder holsters from Garrett. If I'm not mistaken, Tucker Gunleather now makes a sharp looking leather-lined kydex series, too. I have a couple of the Garrett Silent Thunders and can say they work really well.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:48 PM

CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB

I've just this week taken delivery on a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB that I'm using for my 1911. It sets a molded Kydex pocket on a leather backing so that you have leather (rather than Kydex or safety) against your back. I've only had it for a few days, but it's been the most comfortable IWB holster I've used.
The primary advantage I see to a molded holster is the ease of re-holstering. You can achieve this with a molded leather holster, too: the "Down Under" or "Closing Argument," for instance, from High Noon. Those are fine holsters, too, with molded leather pockets and leather backing. And they're better looking, I suppose.
But looks don't really matter in a concealed carry holster, at least to me. And the molded leather makes for a thicker holster. And they cost about twice as much as the SuperTuck.
Anywho, that's something you might look into.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
I carry Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. Best of both worlds. The wife and I have at least a dozen of them.
Garrett Silent Thunder...

accept no substitutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris
Here's the thing I like least about Kydex. Drawing from the holster is LOUD. I prefer the ability to be discreet when necessary. With Kydex it's like blowing a whistle that the gun is coming into play.
Not with the Silent Thunder-it is lined with leather and the draw is at least as quiet as drawing from a leather holster unless you have one of those creaky leather holsters that needs some mink oil-then then the Silent Thunder is quieter! The best of both worlds...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-17-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM

I do. I use a Bladetech IWB as I find the holster stays open better and is slicker to draw from.
Attached Thumbnails
AC8E5C7A-00A7-4D69-B2D5-8030FA46689F.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:04 PM

Broad Strokes:
Kydex-Faster/more tolerant of sweat/cheaper for same level of quality
Leather-More Durable/more expensive for same level of quality/more soul

I concur the kydex is louder and that both leather and kydex can damage a pistol's finish to relatively equal degrees. For me that is a big so what as I like my things to have the "patina of life" on them.

YMMV Greatly

PS-Preferred 1911 holsters
1. Custom Carry Concept Shaggy AIWB-Kydex
2. Kramer Horsehide Vertical Scabbard
3. G WM. Davis IWB
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 PM

https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/lwlm/

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
Old 03-14-2020, 11:28 AM

If you want a comfort, and a sturdy kydex holster, a hybrid holster from www.theisholsters.com work well for 1911s. The EZ clip or single clip work fine. Especially for appendix carry. Mr. Theis (pronounced Tice) is a one man show, who takes his time to do it right. Might take a while, but you get a very good holster. I choose the optional premium leather and full slide coverage, which cost a little more. Make sure you have a sturdy gun belt, made for concealed carry. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Well Paul Gomez sure has plenty of Kydex! I like kydex for several reasons. I carry IWB and it is Summer most of the year in SE Texas and sweat is a real issue. That's also why I don't like BIG holster like alien gear. I have gotten a couple holsters from We the People holsters recently and am a fan. They are small, full sweat shield, well made, great retention and stay put. BUT after many years of recommendations from this site I just ordered my first Garrett Industries holster. I'll repost once I check it out in 10-14 days

Last edited by Markbo; 03-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 PM

(In my snobby, upper-crust English accent) It is blasphemous for steel and wood to touch plastic!

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-15-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
(In my snobby, upper-crust English accent) It is blasphemous for steel and wood to touch plastic!
I concur...only with my Spanish accent.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
I carry Garrett Industries leather lined kydex. Best of both worlds. The wife and I have at least a dozen of them.
Garrett Silent Thunder...

accept no substitutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris
Not with the Silent Thunder-it is lined with leather and the draw is at least as quiet as drawing from a leather holster unless you have one of those creaky leather holsters that needs some mink oil-then then the Silent Thunder is quieter! The best of both worlds...
None of my leather holsters are creaky. If you have to line a kydex holster with leather why not go leather in the first place? After the pinch I got from that kydex IWB, ( SEE MY POST 27)I'm done with kydex! YMMV

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 03-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:20 PM

I use both as the mood strikes me.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 PM

I carry my G17 in Kydex. My 1911 in Leather.