Alloy Framed Hi Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Alloy Framed Hi Power

I recently purchased a 1979 Alloy frame Hi Power. I know the alloy version of the Hi Power is limited in comparison to it’s steel frame cousin. I purchased this pistol with the idea of having certain modifications done to enhance the pistol’s performance as a carry weapon. This will not be a primary carry weapon. But every so often I get the urge to carry one of my Hi Power’s for a while. Here’s a quick list of some of the work I was looking to have done.

• Modify Heinie rear sight (legless) and install
• Mill dovetail / install, blend and blue a Harrison Custom / Yost Gold Line front sight
• Radius barrel
• Install ambidextrous safety
• Throat barrel to feed JHP
• Trigger job
• Bob and radius hammer

I'll pick this pistol up Tuesday. Not very good pictures. My question for the group: since these weapons are limited in number, leave it stock or proceed with modifications.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Browning Hi Power Alloy 1.jpg   Browning Hi Power Alloy 2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 03:26 PM

Hello,

Nice find, please leave it stock.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:36 PM

Well, it's yours - you own it. Are you planning to resell it?

Make a shooter shoot; coddle an investment you want to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM

The gun you purchased has already been refinished once. If it was pristine will the original finish, laynard loop etc... it might have some collector value. Gun like yours have almost no collector IMHO. Without modification they are just OK shooters. Poor sights and old nub thumb safety. With modifications they make fantastic carry guns. I would mod the gun and make it a shooter.

Last edited by rellascout; 05-23-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM

What Rellascout says.

I was fortunate to already have a spare FN slide and an FM Detective slide before I found my first Alloy. The Detective slide has been mated to the Alloy Frame as my primary carry gun. I have a second Alloy arriving shortly... it's being refinished and tuned up before I've even seen it. With any luck I'll run across another Detective slide for it. If that doesn't happen it would be fun to have that spare FN slide shortened. I would not hesitate to make it the gun I want... even if that meant chopping it down and putting usable sights on her.

It's not that valuable. I'd buy a third one though!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 PM

I am huge fan of the alloy frame BHPs. If you don't care about the looks, then upgrade the sights and the safety and be done. If you are like me, then go whole hog. All of my BHP alloy frames have new sights, new grips, new safety, and get refinished. If you have a Detective slide, then that is a wonderful upgrade for this frame. My alloy frame with a Detective slide comes in within 1 oz of my Glock 17. So very light and easy to carry.

These are typically LEO trade-ins and they look it. So no different than an IDF Mark III surplus gun.

Have fun with it. There are lots of examples on this board but here are two of my alloy BHPs from the cerakote website:

https://www.cerakote.com/project-gal...h-170-titanium

Hope that helps,

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
The gun you purchased has already been refinished once. If it was pristine will the original finish, laynard loop etc... it might have some collector value. Gun like yours have almost no collector IMHO. Without modification they are just OK shooters. Poor sights and old nub thumb safety. With modifications they make fantastic carry guns. I would mod the gun and make it a shooter.

Rellascout, I am curious. Which Heine ledge do you have on your Alloy BHP ?

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not up on what finishes were offered on which Hi Power. What was the original finish?

Since this is the case, I guess I'll mod it how I'd like it. Thanks to all.

JW
Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 PM

As noted above, the piece has already been refinished...so not original or pristine. No '..collector's..' premium..'. There will be a slight '..premium..' for the relative scarcity of alloy frame H-Ps...but probably not enough to matter. So, go ahead modify and customize it....build the EDC H-P of your dreams.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
I'm not up on what finishes were offered on which Hi Power. What was the original finish?

Since this is the case, I guess I'll mod it how I'd like it. Thanks to all.

JW
The guns were originally anodized frames with a polycoated/epoxy slide. Slide might have been parked. I do not think they shipped as blued.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 PM

In my opinion the only Bhp that I wouldn’t send off to have some work done on is a mint or near mint T series. With that being said here is my alloy framed example that karl at kgb built me last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Here is my alloy frame, worked over by Don Williams at Action Works. Finish is hard chrome
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...unds&crop=fill
Old 05-27-2020, 11:28 PM

Off topic but it seems the 40cal BHP is rare. ive looked and there scarce. seen one or two but they had hefty price tags

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Off topic but it seems the 40cal BHP is rare. I've looked and they're scarce. Seen one or two but they had hefty price tags

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
They are out their if you get lucky...
I have been fortunate to find two of them.

The first was a new blued Vigilante (FN/Va) for $400 with factory SFS. It's only had a couple hundred round through it. I never got around to removing the mag disconnect... I was afraid I'd mar that beautiful finish.

The second one (Browning) was found last summer, used but in really great condition with a matte black finish. The previous owner had it upgraded with Meprolight night sights and a C&S Wide Trigger. I'm rather cheap when it comes to buying used pistols, but splurged and paid $650 for it with the original box and one magazine. One of these days I'll get around to adding SFS.

With both, I just happened to run across them and had to act before they disappeared.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:50 AM

My light weight is my personal pride and joy, I had it Cerakoated and installed a BHSS buffered recoil spring guide for less battering of the frame, other than that it is a stock pistol with some history...just wish I could find out more but the Belgian Police and museum were quite unresponsive to inquiries.
Attached Thumbnails
19D1052B-6E01-44DD-96B3-599A88C48032.jpeg   7EC7740A-74AB-4753-80B4-22787BA2115D.jpeg  
Old 05-30-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
The gun you purchased has already been refinished once.
Quote:
The guns were originally anodized frames with a polycoated/epoxy slide. Slide might have been parked. I do not think they shipped as blued.
I have a nearly identical alloy frame Hi Power as the OP's attached images. In fact the serial number is only two lower than the OP's (215RN30284).

It does not looked to have been refinished. The frame is anodized (matte finish) and the slide has the epoxy-looking, shiny-ish finish, just like the OP's.

Are you saying these have been refinished? Any pictures of what the original finish was like?
Attached Thumbnails
FN Herstal BHP LW.JPG  
Old 05-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGuy View Post
I have a nearly identical alloy frame Hi Power as the OP's attached images. In fact the serial number is only two lower than the OP's (215RN30284).

It does not looked to have been refinished. The frame is anodized (matte finish) and the slide has the epoxy-looking, shiny-ish finish, just like the OP's.

Are you saying these have been refinished? Any pictures of what the original finish was like?
I cannot say 100% that the frame has been refinished because there are not enough detailed pics. For me the tell is in this pic. If you look at the proof mark on the trigger guard it is not crisp and clear yet the finish on top of it looks consistent. In the end it does not really change my answer to the OPs question. The gun has little to no collector value in its current state. He should do whatever he wants to do to make it more enjoyable for him to shoot.

On your gun the single pic does not provide enough info to make a determination. There are very few of these guns that I have seen on that did not exhibit wear on the frame from whatever duty holster was used. More detailed pics of the proof marks and the rollmarks would help determine if the guns finish is original.

Last edited by rellascout; 05-30-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 AM

Thanks, rellascout.

I am keeping mine as is to carry and keep in the Subaru. It already has the wear and tear so I wouldn't feel bad if it gets a little more worn. It shoots fine the way it is and I really like the light weight frame. I was just curious as to what the original finish might look like. I like things as original as possible.

Mike P.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGuy View Post
Thanks, rellascout.

I am keeping mine as is to carry and keep in the Subaru. It already has the wear and tear so I wouldn't feel bad if it gets a little more worn. It shoots fine the way it is and I really like the light weight frame. I was just curious as to what the original finish might look like. I like things as original as possible.

Mike P.
This is one of mine before I had work done on it. I believe it was the original finish. It was an anodized frame with a epoxy slide. The wear pattern shows it road in a holster which did a number on the anodizing. It redid the gun in NP3.

Before

After

Old 05-30-2020, 04:10 PM

Well the State finally did my background check and released my pistol. Here's a couple of pics. It shoot good groups. I pretty good slide to frame fit. Trigger has a lot of creep. The magazine is the newer style mouse trap type. Needs some tlc for sure.

I can group ok at 25 yds. but those little sights are not a help.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy frame as is 4.jpg   Alloy frame as is 5.jpg   Alloy frame as is 12.jpg   Alloy frame as is 10.jpg  
Old 05-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
Well the State finally did my background check and released my pistol. Here's a couple of pics. It shoot good groups. I pretty good slide to frame fit. Trigger has a lot of creep. The magazine is the newer style mouse trap type. Needs some tlc for sure.

I can group ok at 25 yds. but those little sights are not a help.

JW
Nice! Looking closely at the better pics the proofmarks look in better shape then in the first pic. It might be the original finish. I would look to get a new hammer, sear and Garthwaite trigger. Along with a proper thumb safety and some sights and you will have a winner!
Old 05-30-2020, 04:18 PM

The epoxy finish is off in places and perhaps is parkerized underneath. She certainly has not been shown a lot of love and care during her career. Barrel fit is good and tight. Bore is very clean. No big dings from the lanyard loop.

Nice light pistol. I'm mulling over options now.

Wish I had my D Williams HP back so I could look it over ref: gold dot sight, etc. Should be here soon.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy frame as is 13.jpg   Alloy frame as is 13A.jpg   Alloy frame as is 14.jpg   Alloy frame as is 8.jpg