Suppliers of ivory 1911 stocks or grips - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Would anyone know of a source of ivory grips in Texas? I have a polished blue Wilson Combat coming, and I think I might put ivory on it.

Ron Swanson
Pyramid of Greatness
Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM

He's not a maker of grips but he always has some "purdy" ones...

Terry Peters - http://www.pt-partners.com/index.html
Working24-7 - on GunBroker

He's got a couple pairs of bark ivory ones listed on GB right now that are to die for.

While I haven't bought any stocks from him I have bought 3 or 4 high end custom 45's - Terry is a stand up guy!

Reading thru the list - here's someone in Texas - www.lonestarcustomgrips.com

Last edited by michael starr; 07-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I tried to contact lone star custom grips, but I tried again just in case. Thanks!

Ron Swanson
Pyramid of Greatness
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

TX Slade--you are in luck. Paul Persinger Grips 915-821-7541 In El Paso.

Some of the best there are. Very reasonable prices and he was the supplier to the CCS before ivory was halted at Colt.

I just got a pair last month from Paul.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Thanks Busa. If you don't mind me asking, what are they asking for them?

Ron Swanson
Pyramid of Greatness
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Banned

255.00 for plain 1911 Colt and 350.00 for checkered. Pricing for SAA and others but too many to post here. They are flawless I have several sets of his grips.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim V View Post
Nutmeg Sports www.nutmegsports.com
Boone Trading Co. www.boonetrading.com
Elen Hunting & Importing Inc. www.elenhunting.com

If you know of others offering real elephant and/or mammoth ivory stocks or grips, feel free to add the name of the company and a link to their web page.

Don't use this thread to ask questions about grip designs and where to find them. The thread is to be used to list makers of ivory grips. Thank you.
I was under the impression that real ivory anything is off limits here in the US. At least new import stuff. Mammoth and other fossil ivory I had heard is OK, but has to have paperwork confirming it's source. I think mammoth ivory would be massive cool for grips, knife handles etc. Talk about character.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbuster View Post
I was under the impression that real ivory anything is off limits here in the US. At least new import stuff. Mammoth and other fossil ivory I had heard is OK, but has to have paperwork confirming it's source. I think mammoth ivory would be massive cool for grips, knife handles etc. Talk about character.
Ivory is still legal as long as it is obtained IAW with the new regulations discussed earlier in this thread. I just got another set last month.

Last edited by Busa Dave; 09-30-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Fixed it--Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
No Ivory is still legal as long as it is obtained IAW with the new regulations discussed earlier in this thread. I just got another set last month.

See how a missing comma can change a meaning.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM

I don't think Nutmeg sports is selling new ivory anymore. Their web site list a lot of bone grips, but not ivory. The previous administration pretty much closed down their business. Perhaps the new crew could revisit.

john c
Old 10-12-2017, 02:47 AM

African Elephant Ivory became regulated Years ago and was tightened with interstate commerce confusion in more recent years. There are some exceptions which have to do with small amounts, volume, weight, etc. That information has to do with the Feds. A handful of states passed their own laws. CT made ALL ivory sales a violation which put Nutmeg out of the ivory business completely. WA put David Boone out completely. So what we have now is some (mostly gun friendly) states left to do business as usual as long as you don't get out of line in the coloring book. In Texas I could sell my grips my side of the line. Some states included all ivory, some African, some with age, documentation and other confusing wording. Some added bone because they admitted their authorities weren't smart enough to tell the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if some included fake ivory.
If you have any grasp on the many differences in gun, knife or consumer laws.....well add ivory to the list. I quit keeping up with the variations but the list of states is relatively small. My memory says CA, WA, CT, NY but I'm sure there are a few more by now. The list does or will contain the usual list of kingdoms over regulated, taxed and broke. I'd like to express how I really think of them but it would surely offend someone...."frankly dear, I don't give a damn".

Last edited by STORM2; 10-12-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dcoe View Post
Nutmeg made ivory grips for me extra thick. I presume they'll make
them extra thin. They are good people -- give them a shout.

Joe
I think they're out of the ivory business, thanks to the previous administration. Sad, Emily did beautiful work on ivory, and their smithing activity was also excellent!

John
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM

It is my understanding that the previously mentioned regulations banning sales of elephant ivory did in fact pass and one can no longer sell ivory grips across state lines. I am in Virginia and can no longer buy ivory grips from Charles Spresser in Tennessee. He has grips on Gunbroker, which state "Tennessee sales only". This is why you now see lots of ads for mammoth grips. Apparently, someone explained to the politicians that the wooly mammoth is already extinct.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Nutmeg Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole3 View Post
I think they're out of the ivory business, thanks to the previous administration. Sad, Emily did beautiful work on ivory, and their smithing activity was also excellent!

John
Emily just checkered a set of my existing Mammoth ivory grips and did a truly outstanding job!

I am going to send her a pair of blanks and have another set done.

Todd
Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Any recommendation is ivory grips for my sw 19k frame . Would prefer mammoth or Elephant ivory here in Texas !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Time passes

I recently was looking to buy a set of aged ivory grips for a cherished and well worn Nighthawk Enforcer II and noted that the art of the ivory has lost a couple of dynamic and skilled artisans...Paul Persinger and Roy Fishpaw....and other old timers I'm sure.....wanted a set from one of them for years...drooled over sold ones.....then what I thought about was
John Wayne's comment on his retirement from post in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon......."Lest we forget....Lest we forget..."yes I'm late....but....Lest We Forget!!!

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes