1911Forum banner

Misc smiffin'.....pics!

808K views 3K replies 319 participants last post by  FlatShoe_ShortPull 
#1 ·
Everybody is welcome to post pics!

See less See more
#3,005 · (Edited)
First range trip with above gun.

Shot 100 rounds through it with zero issues. Prior to the range trip gun passed 40 slide lock reloads with full 8 round mag which is the most difficult round to load, with a mixture of ball and hollow point.

Shot to get zero info with carry ammo. I was very pleased that the group was perfectly centered. 2.75" inches center to center. I really need to step up my game. I'm sure that the gun is way more accurate than that. Maybe I'll shot it off sand bags and see if I can tighten it up.

Checking the feed ramp post range session. Mags used were a mix of Wilson and CMC power mags.

Some quick thoughts on a couple handling characteristics and parts.

1) The Chen gen 2 magwell in combination with additional blending makes for and extremely fast and reliable reload. You really can't miss and long as you give the magwell a glance. It was leaps and bounds better than a standard magwell, which is no surprise. And since it adds no length or width to the gun it should be standard on every serious use 1911.

2) The combination of Pete's high cut front strap and 25lpi checkering and a .250" grip safety makes for a gun that feels glued to your hand. It "locks in" unlike any other 1911 I've used. It feels phenomenal.

I'm very pleased with how this build in turning out so far. More to come.

#3,022 ·
Thanks buddy. Yeah there's a couple ways. Put it on the end and have a government gun or chop the commander slide back and replace with comp. Full disclosure i have not done a carry comp. I'm sure it's alot the same with it's own little issue's. I would like to do one some day for the heck of it. I know Chuck Rogers has done several, Joe chambers and Brandon bunker have done some. I'm sure there are several more that I'm not recalling.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#3,025 ·
Slide has been dehorned and all the slide work preformed, recut serrations, border, ball cuts.

Here it's been blasted with aluminum oxide to check my work on the dehorn. If everything checks out it will get glass bead blasted for that beautiful satin finish. But I must say, as a utilitarian stainless finish this isn't bad looking. Don't know how bad it would show holster wear vs bead blasted.

photo upload

photo upload

#3,028 ·
Grip safety for a Browning Hi Power. An experiment:

It worked but was not everything I thought it might be; I am now laying claim to being the first to pin the grip safety on a BHP :)

HiPower magazines-- it's like they are purposely made to screw up your reloads. Big improvement on the left:

#3,031 ·
The prep before the prep. This gun is going to be blued so I hand polish the whole slide to 400 grit just to blast the rounds and polish the flats again. Can’t hide tool marks with a media blast. It’s best if they’re almost all gone or all gone to begin with.
Tool Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Metal

#3,035 ·
That hammer looks nicely bobbed. The underside of the cut end does look a little sharp (90 degrees). Less likely to pinch with the new shape, because of reduced reach. More likely to cut, if it manages to pinch...

#3,036 ·
I put in an A1 grip safety instead of the 1918 so it won’t pinch but you’re right, in the pic it looks sharp. I planned on taking that down a little too. Just didn’t do it yet.