1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 PM

High Capacity Caspian.

What with all the 3 gun and outlaw not-quite-IDPA matches cropping up, I am interested in a high capacity 9mm. Not a Glock, what would be the fun in that?

Another shooter and I were talking about the prospects for a Caspian HC based 9mm for such games. I came up with a few questions:

Is the High Cap available in stainless? It is not cataloged, but I have read of other departures from the usual. If only in CM, I would likely get it Cerakoted in lieu of sending out for third party plating or bluing.

Will this be a reliable gun in 9mm without the "tuning" of magazines called for by other brands? Reliable to include proper operation of the slide stop, I want to maintain IDPA capability.

What else do I need to know?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Jim,
We only make them in carbon steel and titanium. Our first generation 19 round mags handle the 9mm best but ther will always be a chance of tweeking in any Hi-Cap 1911 mag. We are working with Mecgar on a new generation 21 rd magazine that we are hoping to introduce this year.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM

When building Caspian High Capacity pistols there are some "tricks" that you need to know. One is removing material from the ejection port side of the frame to prevent the magazine follower from getting blocked by it. Another is removing material from the magazine followers so that the gun doesn't lock back with 1 round still in the magazine. If you know about those things, they go together and run like a top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
When building Caspian High Capacity pistols there are some "tricks" that you need to know. One is removing material from the ejection port side of the frame to prevent the magazine follower from getting blocked by it. Another is removing material from the magazine followers so that the gun doesn't lock back with 1 round still in the magazine. If you know about those things, they go together and run like a top.
AC, are you saying you both items need doing or 1 or the other? Having to remove material from the magazine itself to ensure proper reliability would make me apprehensive.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Dude
I owe you a beer
Trimming tab in the frame solved my feeding problem
After reading you post, I checked and found the follower was was rubbing against the over insertion tab in the frame, I trimmed the tab and the gun ran like a champ
Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity, would you mind posting a pic of the tab so I can be sure of what you are referring to?
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 PM

I'm not alchemy custom
What I did was remove the slide, as you look at the magwell opening from the top,
On the left front corner of the opening, you'll see a steel tab that the mag hits, which prevents the mag from being over-inserted during a lock back re-load.
I never had a problem with my supers, but with my .40, the follower would bind on the tab.
Again with the slide off, I inserted a empty mag and saw the follower would bind on the tab, it was so bad, that it prevented the mag from ejecting from the gun.
To fix it, I chucked the frame in my vice, got out the Dremel with the small sanding drum
And slowly sanded the tab down until it no longer touch the follower, but still stopped the mag from being over-inserted.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM

That is precisely correct. Thanks.
The tab has to be tuned to accommodate different magazines. It is easy to do. s Supercomp
Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 AM

I've shot them Jim and they are about as much fun as you can have with a pistol. Just about no muzzle rise and really small amount of recoil, it's almost like shooting a .22.

I just don't shoot 3 gun anymore so I don't need one. And, the way I shoot my .40 hi cap would work just as well.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, would you mind posting a pic of the tab so I can be sure of what you are referring to?
Ditto on this request. Mine runs like a sewing machine except for the lock back with one round left.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 PM

Anyone fiddleing with mags for the casspian Hi-cap,.
Ive been sick for the last couple years and have been away,doing ok now although Im still pretty short winded.
Caspian stopped their magazine stock. So Im looking for new mags to work up.

Thanks
Jim sailors custom
Old 08-06-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanglin View Post
Anyone fiddleing with mags for the casspian Hi-cap,.
Ive been sick for the last couple years and have been away,doing ok now although Im still pretty short winded.
Caspian stopped their magazine stock. So Im looking for new mags to work up.

Thanks
Jim sailors custom

I don't know if this is any help. Caspian has a few double stack magazine tubes on their site.

https://www.caspianarms.com/product-.../foster?page=1
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM

About the only mags made that will work without modification are the mbx extreme
https://www.mbxextreme.com/index.php...aspianCategory

Another option are mecgar Tanfoglio large frame mag but you must modify them by cutting down the mag where it hits the overtravel tab in the frame and the area for the slot that hits the slide stop
Old 08-11-2018, 05:06 AM

Caspian 9mm high cap gun......

I have never shot a Caspian hi-cap 9mm, and am curious if there is any advantage over shooting an STI 2011 9mm hi-cap pistol? A steel Caspian frame would be heavier, and might help to reduce muzzle flip, but the added weight may affect the ability to stop the gun quickly on fast transitions....???

About 8 weeks ago, I ordered an STI style 2011 steel, W/N ramped frame from L-10 Machine out of San Diego, CA. I recently received the frame, and was pleased with their product. I had to do some minor filing on the grip tang radius since my STI grip safety did not work "as is" with the L-10 frame. The frame cost approx. $250 with the added W/N ramp cut and the shipping, and had to be mailed to a local gun shop, where I paid a $25 transfer fee and filled out the paperwork to obtain the frame.

I also used a Commander slide, a Commander length Bar Sto 38 super W/N ramped bull barrel, and all of the remaining frame, grip, and slide parts. I estimate I have about $1,200 in parts and sights for the gun build. The slide I used did not have a dovetail cut for a front sight, so I had to use a 65 degree sight file, which I already had on hand. It took some time, but since I don't have a vertical mill or lathe, everything I fit is by hand and elbow grease!!!! I am not sure if STI makes a STI 2011 Commander .38 super, but my plan is to use it as a concealed carry gun. My second generation 126mm STI 2011 mags will shoot either 9mm or .38super ammo, and the gun will hold 17 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber..... I already had the second generation STI mags, and use them for IDPA competition with my STI 2011 5" gun with Kart barrel and bushing I built about 10 years ago.....
Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 AM

I built mine several years ago and regret trading it off to a friend. It was a 9mm long slide I built specifically for 3-gun competition. It was a real accurate and reliable gun, and looked good too. I used the original Caspian 19rd mags with EGW base pads and magwell with no modifications and they worked 100%. The thing that sold me on it was the grip was considerably smaller than most anything else. The Para frame and 2011 frame just didn't feel as good in my hand. I IonBonded the whole gun except the magwell. This picture was taken after two years of competition and many draws from kydex. Finish still looked almost new.I also made the grips.
Attached Images

Last edited by M-Peltier; 08-15-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Closed Thread