1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 AM

"The Last Ship" TV series.

Has anyone watched this ? Remind me of what we have going on right now, and with a lot of good actions similar as "Strike Back" (except no sex stuff) !

Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 AM

1st season was good. The rest were unwatchable.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 09:22 AM

I lost interest somewhere in the second season. Really liked the first season (and Strike Back too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post

Yep, the first season fulfilled the entire plot of the show. After they moored up the ship in St. Louis to drop off the president and delivered the cure it should have ended.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:00 AM

First season was outstanding. Second season was barely tolerable. Rest was a waste of electrons.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:02 PM

Binged watched all 5 seasons on Hulu last month. It was ok.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork1911A1 View Post
Binged watched all 5 seasons on Hulu last month. It was ok.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Jeez, they milked that thing for five seasons? The first season should have ended it. I couldn't take it after that.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM

Yes I agree... first season good, second season... ahh!!! The writers wrote themselves into corner. Typical of all TV series where the producers only expect a one or two seasons.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the on-ship activity, the hide and seek with the Ruskie ship, the depiction of Naval command hierarchy, the tactics, etc.

I finished season 1 Sunday, currently going to watch episode 3 of season 2, and already find the societal break down somewhat improbable, unlike the season 1 where that was a bit more realistic especially with communication silence.

I generally binge one or two episodes each night, just before bed.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Yep. What he said.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 PM

I had a little trouble believing that the highest ranking guy on the ship was on the ground carrying a rifle on every single mission.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
I had a little trouble believing that the highest ranking guy on the ship was on the ground carrying a rifle on every single mission.
Captain Kirk pulled it off.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
^^This^^

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
Excellent point. But all made for TV drama are exaggerated.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi and futuristic dystopian society type drama, and I have yet to see anything that is plausible. For example the SyFy channel had a series called "The Expanse", they sort of at first seemed to follow the laws of physics in what would be a plausible future colonizing the solar system and mining the asteroid belt... then it went to crap by the 2nd season.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:17 PM

The Last Ship 1st season was OK and so was the season with the Japanese terrorist that captured the XO and some of the crew and was going to drain all of their blood in his jungle encampment. The last two seasons, especially the next to last where they had the director of the show, Peter Weller (Robocop), playing the hippie, mad scientist suffering from dementia, threaten the world's cure for the virus that stupidly jumped to plants killing the world's supply of plants.

As for "Strike Back," I liked the premise and wanted to really love this show. But, after watching the first episode (where terrorists take over the Indian hotel)I thought it was extremely poorly executed and it soured me from the series. The two main characters were captured by the terrorists twice in the same episode in the hotel and the terrorists didn't just execute them either time.

Later I decided to give the "Strike Back" sequel series with the new characters, a chance, but, it was even worse and dumber than the original Strike Back.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Excellent point. But all made for TV drama are exaggerated.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi and futuristic dystopian society type drama, and I have yet to see anything that is plausible. For example the SyFy channel had a series called "The Expanse", they sort of at first seemed to follow the laws of physics in what would be a plausible future colonizing the solar system and mining the asteroid belt... then it went to crap by the 2nd season.
I have to disagree. I absolutely hated the 1st season of The Expanse. It made no sense. The police that were assigned to the asteroid belt (near the end of the 1st season) hired a bunch of the criminals who's gang murdered one of the police officers earlier in the season, to work as police officers?????? How is that a "plausible future" in any universe? Also, the 1st season had lot of activity that made no sense as it was totally unexplained. The 2nd season, however, explained everything that was going on and things now made sense. I actually enjoyed the series beginning with the 2nd season.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Captain Kirk pulled it off.

Maybe the green bitch didn't transport well?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INV136 View Post
I have to disagree. I absolutely hated the 1st season of The Expanse. It made no sense. The police that were assigned to the asteroid belt (near the end of the 1st season) hired a bunch of the criminals who's gang murdered one of the police officers earlier in the season, to work as police officers?????? How is that a "plausible future" in any universe? Also, the 1st season had lot of activity that made no sense as it was totally unexplained. The 2nd season, however, explained everything that was going on and things now made sense. I actually enjoyed the series beginning with the 2nd season.
Well... I'm a stickler to the portrayal of natural physical laws and plausible new technology in the near future. What I don't like is the creative license found in so many sci-fi TV series especially the genre known as 'space opera' where they have warp speed, teleportation and all sorts of space travel that just doesn't fit into what we know is possible. I never warmed up to Star Trek, but I did like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey, and I see that 1968 movie as the granddaddy of plausible science fiction. All else is just fantasy.

In the expanse I like the way they treat 'burn and flip'. That is when the engine is burn, and it accelerates at approximately 1 g, then they shut the engine down, flip and decelerate at 1 g. That gives a correct portrayal of how an artificial gravity could be generated in deep space. Then they also make use of the centripetal gravitational field generated by a spinning space station like in Kubrick's 2001. What I hate is the portrayal of artificial gravity by some magical force field like in Star Trek, Star Wars, and all the other sci-fi's devoid of the known laws of physics.

The one thing that "Expanse" takes liberty with is that ion or nuclear engine that seems to be able to have relative unlimited propulsion from a small mass of fuel. But it is possible that in the near future we will get away from combustible fuels, i.e. expanding gases as a form of propellant. In fact, deep space exploration will be dependent entirely on a future improvement on the mode of propulsion.

The other thing that "Expanse" took liberty with, was the gravity field on the asteroids. Those asteroids very likely only have a minute gravity, something on the order of 1/100 of a G. So the scenes where the Belters were walking around on a asteroid station, as well as some of the small outer moons of Jupiter, just wasn't consistent with extreme low gravity, but then, it would be very difficult to film a realistic scene with dozens of Belters in a common room where the gravity is but 1/100 of a G. They would be bouncing all over the place.

Anyhow... their treatment of gravity and laws of physics was much better than in other 'space opera' style tv shows and movies.

But what turned me off was the protomolecule. I haven't watch the last season when amazon picked up the series. I will watch it at some point.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:03 PM

Based on some of the predictions, I think some people on the other thread are watching tooooo many Doom and Gloom evil-virus movies. :-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Based on some of the predictions, I think some people on the other thread are watching tooooo many Doom and Gloom evil-virus movies. :-)
Maybe!

I watched "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman a few days ago! Most laughable virus epidemic movie to date!
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe!

I watched "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman a few days ago! Most laughable virus epidemic movie to date!
There is quite a few of them, caught one on netflix about a month ago called "Containment" (2 season's). I enjoyed it because the script was full of sarcasm and didn't take itself too seriously.

I also like World War Z on the more serious side, well done movie...The zombies got some virus, I think it may have been Coronaviorus ;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM

There's one called Containment that is one season 7 episodes that takes place in Atlanta. I haven't seen it but I think it is on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I might watch that when I tire of "Last Ship" which may happen sooner than later. Finished 'Last Ship' episodes 3 and 4, of season 2 last night. Episode 4 was okay... I like action and on-board ship stuff. There was a good shoot out on-board a hospital ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Containment_(TV_series)

Quote:
The series follows an epidemic that breaks out in Atlanta, leaving a section of the city cordoned off under quarantine and those stuck on the inside fighting for their lives.

On May 12, 2016, The CW announced that Containment would not be renewed and would remain as a limited series
Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Well... I'm a stickler to the portrayal of natural physical laws and plausible new technology in the near future. What I don't like is the creative license found in so many sci-fi TV series especially the genre known as 'space opera' where they have warp speed, teleportation and all sorts of space travel that just doesn't fit into what we know is possible. I never warmed up to Star Trek, but I did like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: Space Odyssey, and I see that 1968 movie as the granddaddy of plausible science fiction. All else is just fantasy.

In the expanse I like the way they treat 'burn and flip'. That is when the engine is burn, and it accelerates at approximately 1 g, then they shut the engine down, flip and decelerate at 1 g. That gives a correct portrayal of how an artificial gravity could be generated in deep space. Then they also make use of the centripetal gravitational field generated by a spinning space station like in Kubrick's 2001. What I hate is the portrayal of artificial gravity by some magical force field like in Star Trek, Star Wars, and all the other sci-fi's devoid of the known laws of physics.

The one thing that "Expanse" takes liberty with is that ion or nuclear engine that seems to be able to have relative unlimited propulsion from a small mass of fuel. But it is possible that in the near future we will get away from combustible fuels, i.e. expanding gases as a form of propellant. In fact, deep space exploration will be dependent entirely on a future improvement on the mode of propulsion.

The other thing that "Expanse" took liberty with, was the gravity field on the asteroids. Those asteroids very likely only have a minute gravity, something on the order of 1/100 of a G. So the scenes where the Belters were walking around on a asteroid station, as well as some of the small outer moons of Jupiter, just wasn't consistent with extreme low gravity, but then, it would be very difficult to film a realistic scene with dozens of Belters in a common room where the gravity is but 1/100 of a G. They would be bouncing all over the place.

Anyhow... their treatment of gravity and laws of physics was much better than in other 'space opera' style tv shows and movies.

But what turned me off was the protomolecule. I haven't watch the last season when amazon picked up the series. I will watch it at some point.
I'm not a scientist, so I don't watch science fiction with that much attention to detail. If the activity sounds at least logical to my small mental capacity, then I'm OK with it. As an example, I refused to go and see the Angelina Jolie movie "Wanted" because of the previews showing her supposedly causing a discharged bullet leaving the barrel of her gun to twist and curve in trajectory by twisting her wrist at the second of firing was totally illogical and downright stupid.

I can buy science fiction depicting transporters and warp speed space flight (but, even I wonder about traveling at faster than light speed, or even anywhere near light speed; what prevents your ship from flying through all kinds of asteroids, and anything else floating around in the vastness of space, causing your ship to be damaged or completely destroyed).

But, as I mentioned, season 1 of "The Expanse" had that bit where they had the criminal gang members given police badges and controlling the workers after the criminal gang had previously murdered one of the police officers. That I didn't buy. The second season was much better and I started enjoying the series at that point. I have season 3 on blu-ray disc and will be watching it between this shelter in place nonsense and the summer TV programming void.

Last edited by INV136; 03-24-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Maybe the green bitch didn't transport well?

The green alien woman was played by actress Susan Oliver. She was quite attractive back then.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INV136 View Post
The green alien woman was played by actress Susan Oliver. She was quite attractive back then.
I've always been a Lily Munster fan myself.

As for the original Star Trek, Yeoman Rand was always a treat to see.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:38 PM

Add me to the list of 1st Season, dropped of watching it, for the Last Ship crew. (Pun intended.)

It is interesting to see some of the things that were scifi, such as the communicators, voice operated computers, doors, and climate control, etc., we saw in Star Trek and others, being pretty standard these days.

I tried to convince my wife and mother that we should pop some popcorn and watch Contagion. They didn't seem to appreciate that. Maybe time to watch Range 15 again.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Closed Thread