Guns and Toilet Paper - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM

Guns and Toilet Paper

I found it interesting to see what products surged in sales during the “pandemic”. We all know that weapons and toilet paper sold quick.

What else did you see that sold quickly? What surprised you most? What did you learn in the marketplace?
Old 05-29-2020, 06:45 AM
Banned

Not surprising

Canned goods
Meat
Disinfectant
Paper Towels
Hand Soap
Freezers - I have an upright but have seriously considered getting another. The main thing that makes me pause is that we tend to go through electrical outages about once every other year. If I stock to much I would risk more loss if I had more than one full.

Some are just coming back and some still rationed by visit to store and hard to get. Sams does much better in store than online availability. Bulk buying way before this happened made it much easier for me and my family. Had we canned goods like my grandparents used too that certainly would have as well. Reliance on self than others ensures you have when everyone goes crazy and supply lines become problematic for various reasons.

Last edited by Dddrees; 05-29-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Not surprising

Canned goods
Meat
Disinfectant
Paper Towels
Hand Soap
Freezers

Some are just coming back and some still rationed by visit to store and hard to get. Sams does much better in store than online availability. Bulk buying way before this happened made it much easier for me and my family. Had we canned goods like my grandparents used too that certainly would have as well. Reliance on self than others ensures you have when everyone goes crazy and supply lines become problematic for various reasons.
I agree what you mention is NOT Surprising. I was asking what WAS Unexpected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 07:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I agree what you mention is NOT Surprising. I was asking what WAS Unexpected?
Gas prices and the fact they couldn't give it away was a shock, but still not surprising. I'm not sure I can think of anything that is surprising when given the circumstances and once you think about it.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:06 AM

I was surprised to see that Kayaks cannot be found. They are sold out down here, big time backlog. Fishing Kayaks where the first to go. Fishing tackle is also in very short supply.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I was surprised to see that Kayaks cannot be found. They are sold out down here, big time backlog. Fishing Kayaks where the first to go. Fishing tackle is also in very short supply.
But that also makes perfect sense, so I don't see that being a great surprise.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

The supply chain for any business has been determined over time. When the pandemic hit and everyone was afraid they were going to be home quarantined for an unknown period of time, it's not surprising that almost all common commodities flew off the shelves and outstripped the normal resupply schedules. Where I shop things are almost back to normal now. I actually was able to buy hand sanitizer a few days ago.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-29-2020, 07:17 AM

Anything can be expected when the media is involved.
One meat packing plant has a few positive Covid people and CNN blasts that there is a nationwide meat shortage. Of course, because of the working conditions, we knew they were vulnerable, but keep your mouth shut and get through it without stampeding the country. So yeah, NOW there is a meat shortage, largely due to hoarding. And because people are hoarding, not a freezer can be found. Here’s something unexpected that hasn’t happened yet....summer is here, temps are on the rise. AC’s will be running full blast. Perhaps California will have massive brown outs because of all of the extra freezers plugged in!!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Banned

Wendy's success almost became their undoing. Fresh meat and where's the beef sure has made it challenging.

If you aint got a drive thru and your in the restaurant business you might just want to rethink that as well.

I just may never skip any haircut appointment ever again. Doing so shortly before ended up not being a good move.

Last edited by Dddrees; 05-29-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I just may never skip any haircut appointment ever again. Doing so shortly before ended up not being a good move.
Funny you should mention that. I needed a haircut about the day the barbershops were closed. So, I bought some clippers and started cutting my own hair. My son has been doing it for years and always teased me about wasting money. Cutting my own has worked fine. Now I do a "trim" about once a week, and although my barber shop recently re-opened, I may never go back.

Full disclosure. My "hair style" is a full buzz cut - as short as you can get it without shaving.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-29-2020, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Funny you should mention that. I needed a haircut about the day the barbershops were closed. So, I bought some clippers and started cutting my own hair. My son has been doing it for years and always teased me about wasting money. Cutting my own has worked fine. Now I do a "trim" about once a week, and although my barber shop recently re-opened, I may never go back.

Full disclosure. My "hair style" is a full buzz cut - as short as you can get it without shaving.
I'm retired military. High and tight was my only haircut for 20 years. I just wasn't so inclined after all this time.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:42 AM

Ammo went quick where I live. Even shotgun range (Trap and Skeet) ammo was scarce.

One thing I have reaffirmed is that the majority of people will blindly follow Gov't imposed restrictions and mandates regardless of the validity or reasonableness of those restrictions or mandates. Most people are lemmings. I know that sounds rude and harsh on my part, but it's the unfortunate truth.

For instance, the whole mask thing is such a joke. 99.99% of the masks out there are too porous to stop C-19 transmissions. Yet the rarely and barely informed wear them. Their masks are dirty, their gloves are dirty, and yet every moron in town dutifully and proudly wears them, and counsels those who aren't wearing them. The average American walks around in a state of ignorance and blind conformity. There's very little independent thought. We're screwed.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I kept my military haircut. I used to go to the barber every ten days, my barber shop loved me.

China Virus got me using my dog clippers and I started to cut my own hair too... kinda made the shop obsolete. I plan to go again, maybe once a month, but it was pretty easy to cut my own hair and quick too. So my barber will be affected.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:50 AM

Locally you see people wearing gloves out of a supermarket and opening packed food and eating with the gloves still on???
Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM

Lysol!

And as regards this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBag View Post
Locally you see people wearing gloves out of a supermarket and opening packed food and eating with the gloves still on???

I saw idiots driving around yesterday, widows down, sunroof open... with MASKS on.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 AM

I still have a few weeks' time before my hair "style"/length begins to compare with a long-ago photo in my high school yearbook. Thankfully, it's all intact and the same color

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-29-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
I still have a few weeks' time before my hair "style"/length begins to compare with a long-ago photo in my high school yearbook. Thankfully, it's all intact and the same color
That's the other thing, mine aint. I do still have it though.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Yeast. Is nowhere to be found in stores near here. We have a few pounds that we were able to get online, but stores are lacking.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 AM

I don’t home brew. But my brother does and he said all the raw materials are hard to come by. A micro distillery opened about a year ago and they sold vodka, and now free (donation) hand sanitizer... if you bring your own bottle. I got some hand sanitizer from them and bought a couple of bottles of their Vodka. I probably would have not bought vodka from them otherwise. It is not too bad... my wife likes it.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:54 AM

This likely varies among states, but government services and even goods are sometimes a "commodity" in short supply.

As one example, a few weeks ago I'd requested print/paper copies of current IRS publications, related to filing year 2019 tax returns...the IRS website provided an automated response stating that these documents were not available due to covid-19. (Yes, I know that digital versions are available, but I still think something is not up to standard when the IRS will not provide a taxpayer with physical/paper forms of legally required tax forms and instructions).

As a less prominent example, vehicle title transfers desired among family members.

In a broader sense, one must be aware that anything provided by the government might well be unavailable in times of emergency, pandemics, etc. Obviously, this is all the more reason for 2A rights.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-29-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
In a broader sense, one must be aware that anything provided by the government might well be unavailable in times of emergency, pandemics, etc.
Tend to have a lot of “nonessential workers”.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 AM

Our Game Wardens where not working.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
This likely varies among states, but government services and even goods are sometimes a "commodity" in short supply.

As one example, a few weeks ago I'd requested print/paper copies of current IRS publications, related to filing year 2019 tax returns...the IRS website provided an automated response stating that these documents were not available due to covid-19. (Yes, I know that digital versions are available, but I still think something is not up to standard when the IRS will not provide a taxpayer with physical/paper forms of legally required tax forms and instructions).

As a less prominent example, vehicle title transfers desired among family members.

In a broader sense, one must be aware that anything provided by the government might well be unavailable in times of emergency, pandemics, etc. Obviously, this is all the more reason for 2A rights.
I'm actually surprised they still do. Anything in paper form is pretty much on it's way out. Sign of the times.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:05 PM

To paraphrase Franklin, "guns will get you through times of no toilet paper better than toilet paper will get you through times of no guns".

John W in SC
Old 05-29-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I'm actually surprised they still do. Anything in paper form is pretty much on it's way out. Sign of the times.
There is pushing and pulling in both directions, but your observation is in the mainstream societal/technological direction.

All the same, in this context, the IRS does accept paper income tax filings extension requests, etc. However, they do not accept digital returns submitted by private individuals using the very same digital forms provided on the IRS website. While refusing to accept digital returns of their own digital forms, they do accept paper print-outs of those forms. Obviously, their intent in his regard is not to eliminate this paper; it is instead to make the taxpayer pay for both the paper and the printing (and the mailing).

Since the IRS refuses to accept private citizens' digital submissions of the IRS' own website's digital forms, it seems reasonable that until such time as the IRS will accept their own digital forms, they should provide the paper versions that they are willing to accept. Personally, I don't think citizens should be required to turn over personal data and pay costly fees to a tax preparer or pay for third party software (and hardware to run it) merely to comply with the law. Taxes are onerous enough as is without heaping these additional costs, obstacles, and risks of personal data loss/theft (e.g., from a paid tax preparer's inadequately secured server) on citizens.

Again, I agree with your general observation, but wish to point out that the IRS does not yet walk this pathway of accepting digital returns of their own website's digital forms.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-29-2020 at 02:19 PM.