1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Thoughts on Duty One 5.0

Hi Everyone,

i have been mulling over purchasing a 1911 for a little over a year off and on after shooting a Nighthawk Custom at a range near me. my main consideration has been the TRP because everyone gives it very high marks for the price. was also considering the STI Trojan since they can be found for a bit less but i hadn't considered the Duty One because even used they have always been a bit more then i wanted to spend ~$1100.

From the research i have done it sounds like a great gun and may even me a step above the TRP in a few areas.

Well last week i came across a reasonably priced Duty One 5.0 on GB while doing my usual 1911 searches. To make a long story short i won the auction for the Duty One for $900 shipped to my FFL. It looks to be extremely Lightly used from the pictures but we shall see once it is in my hands.

i just wanted to see from the guys in the STI forum what you thought about the Duty One as i have not held one or shot one, i kind of took a gamble thinking if it didn't like it i could at least recoup what i paid for it with out too much trouble. It also sounds like their CS is top tier like springfields and all the 2011's i see running in competition around here are STI's, so that cant be a bad thing!

If you own one or have shot one, how do you like it? If you have shot a TRP and a Duty one or own both how so they compare? Most of the TRP vs Duty One threads have little to no actual comparisons between the two. And one last thing do you guys think i got an OK price for it?

here is a link to the ended auction if your curious on condition: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801851142

thanks a bunch everyone!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Soo everyone hates the duty one?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 AM

I think you got a steal of a deal. I contemplated bidding on it but just purchased a Lawman. They are great guns, sad they don't produce 1911's anymore. Their large roll marks and odd slide cuts did not exactly fit the traditional 1911 form. But for the 2011 model I think they work well. Enjoy the new pistol. Their customer service is supposedly excellent. STI and Dawson Precision make alternate front sights if you don't like all black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Last fall I bought a Duty One 5.0 in 9x19 for $900 delivered to my FFL. It is my only railed 9x19 1911-pattern pistol.

It has been tweaked a bit with the addition of a flat trigger, a traditional FLGR and spring to replace the Recoil Master, a magwell, and a Cerakote finish. Mostly tweaks to fit my particular likes as I am not fond of the STI trigger with the polymer shoe nor the Recoil Master. It is much easier to swap spring rates with a traditional FLGR.

It is heavy enough that the muzzle barely rises with most standard pressure 9x19. It is a very accurate gun but not fifty-yard PPC accurate. It is a bit magazine sensitive, especially with fully-loaded Wilson ETM magazines. It does not feed 147-grain HST reliably but has no issues with 115-grain IMI JHP.

Overall, a good value at this price point.

[ETA] I never addressed the comparison to the SA TRP. And it is a tough compare. In many ways, the TRP and Duty One 5.0 are more alike than not. The differences are the recoil system (Recoil Master on STI), the traction treatment (slide serrations and front strap checkering on the TRP versus the geometric treatment of the STI), the trigger components, and the finish. Other than the trigger, I prefer the STI parts over the TRP. The Duty One 5.0 finish is a thin matte bluing that wears poorly; thus, the reason mine now has a Cerakote finish. TRP has a much better factory finish. The traction treatments are as much aesthetic as functional, and I see no clear winner. I prefer SA's rollmarks, but the Duty One 5.0's are much better than the old billboard Trojan markings. STI gun is tighter but TRP groups just as well.[/ETA]
Attached Thumbnails
imagejpeg_0.jpg  

Last edited by farscott; 03-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:30 PM

I have to wait till Monday to pick it up, but I already bought parts to put in a GI recoil rod. I will try it with the range master to see how they compare but I like the idea of toolless take down. Gonna shoot 500 or so through it and see how I like it then I might start modifying it with new grips, magwell and trigger shoe. Glad to hear at least you 2 like your duty ones. May look at ion bonding down the road but that's not high on my list right now.

By the way farscott, which Trigger and magwell is that? Looks great!

Last edited by DHwreckage; 03-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:49 PM

You do not NEED the takedown tool to disassemble a gun with a recoilmaster unit. Just disassemble as normal: hold slide back with one hand while you remove the slide stop with the other hand. I have quite a few guns with the recoilmasters and never use a takedown tool.

I personally like the recoilmaster recoil impulse and I never have to change my spring weight based on the load I’m shooting.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHwreckage View Post
I have to wait till Monday to pick it up, but I already bought parts to put in a GI recoil rod. I will try it with the range master to see how they compare but I like the idea of toolless take down. Gonna shoot 500 or so through it and see how I like it then I might start modifying it with new grips, magwell and trigger shoe. Glad to hear at least you 2 like your duty ones. May look at ion bonding down the road but that's not high on my list right now.

By the way farscott, which Trigger and magwell is that? Looks great!
Trigger is a Caspian. I do not definitely remember, but I think magwell is a S&A model.

Last edited by farscott; 03-23-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:10 PM

That Duty is a great pick up, especially for $900. It'll shoot great like every STI. And as you mentioned, ith is backed by great customer service and a lifetime warranty, whether you are the first owner or the 10th.

The Duty one isn't much different than a Sentry or a lawman, just different features on the same great carbon steel slides and EDM wire cut parts.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 AM

thanks guys i actually picked up a stan chen SI magwell for the introductory price and am thinking about getting and EGW or 10-8 flat trigger, but since the magwell wont be here till April sometime i will have plenty of time to run it through its paces before i start changing things up. it will hopefully get to my LGS today so i can finally pick it up with enough time to run to the range for a few hundred rounds, fingers crossed!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
You do not NEED the takedown tool to disassemble a gun with a recoilmaster unit. Just disassemble as normal: hold slide back with one hand while you remove the slide stop with the other hand. I have quite a few guns with the recoilmasters and never use a takedown tool.

I personally like the recoilmaster recoil impulse and I never have to change my spring weight based on the load Iím shooting.
you were correct, easy peasy to take down and assemble with no tools! had never used one so i wasn't sure!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 AM

Quick question, does anyone now where you can find specs for internal and external parts and springs for the duty one? I have heard the firing pin is titanium but can't find anything to confirm that. I'm looking at replacing some springs when my magwell/msh comes In from Stan Chen but want to know what the fp is made of so I can make the correct choice on springs.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM

I would call STI.