STI GI vs SA Mil-Spec - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 AM

STI GI vs SA Mil-Spec

Since I got burned on a $2K 1911, and I'm throwing money at it trying to make it work, I was thinking about going the other direction and adding another entry-level (sub-$800) 1911 to the fold.

Found a STI G.I. for $700, and a SA Mil Spec for $615. Both new, appear to be very similar (except for the arched MSH on the Mil-Spec). I'm familiar with Springfield's stuff, but have never handled/shot anything by STI...however, I've read good things about their pistols. I was hoping to get a recommendation from the someone who is familiar with both.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Having handled a lot of STI and SA guns in the past, and still currently own both brands... I'd be all over the STI. (even though you should be very safe with either)

I've handled and shot SA mil-specs and they are usually well built. I've never handled the STI GI model but the "lowest" model STI has made in many years, is on par with SA's best. Mine and the other examples [STI] I have shot are notably smoother and refined feeling. Not to mention, they have all been tight shooters!

If you opt for the SA, please PM me the loation where I might buy the STI.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM

I am definitely biased as I'm a STI collector but I would definitely go STI. The fit and finish is going to be better and the internals of the gun are going to be far better quality.

Plus all STI's have a lifetime warranty wether you're the 1st or 10th owner. That seals the deal for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM

The only observation I'll make is Springfield still lists the Mil-Spec in their line-up while STI no longer lists the GI model, which was only offered for a couple of years about five to 10 years years ago. In addition, STI doesn't even catalog any single stack models anymore.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:52 PM

I have a well used STI spartan, no longer made and good knows how many rounds through it, bought it used. New it was a 700$ or so gun. I use it for single stack contests as it is utterly reliable, accurate and with one of the nicest trigger I have shot. I owned a SA milspec about 10 years ago and it was a fine pistol but not on par with the STI. The STI holds its own with the wilsons and such as a contest pistol.

You really canít go wrong with either but....
Old 10-14-2018, 08:12 PM

STI would be my pick.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Is that the STI that was made in the Philippines to STI specs?

If it is, SA all day.

New Milspecs are made here in the good old USA.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Is that the STI that was made in the Philippines to STI specs?

If it is, SA all day.

New Milspecs are made here in the good old USA.

The frames and slide are made by Armscor but parts and final build are STI.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 PM

After your last go around I would look at the better warranty and cs. Most importantly who pays shipping.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomgetch View Post
I'm not sure that's true, if you're talking about the GI, referenced by the OP, though the Spartan was. I intended to comment the same, but did some research (including posts on this forum and from the STI rep) that indicated the GI was a US made gun. Admittedly, that did surprise me.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=370731

Last edited by jtq; 10-14-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:32 AM

I’ve not kept up closely with all the STI models, but I’ve never seen a “GI” model. When was this gun built?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Here's an article dated 2014

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...hn-m-browning/
Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

They must be VERY nice. Even my cheap RIA Compact Officers Model by Armscor IS wonderful, & highly recommended.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM

I have two Mil Specs, one in stainless. The quality of workmanship on both is excellent, and one of them has the tightest slide/barrel lockup I have ever seen. Both are very accurate.

Mil Spec all day every day.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomgetch View Post
I'm looking at a pic of a STI G.I., and unless Armscor is making a frame specific to STI and different from what they usually produce, or they've changed to a more-1911 looking frame across the board, the G.I. frame isn't Armscor.

I'd go Mil-Spec just for the sights (and the forged frame and slide).
Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 PM

The STI G.I. was 100% made in Georgetown, Texas of texas steel. Don't confuse the G.I. with the Spartan, where the frame & slide,barrel were all made by armscor and fitted with STI internals.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverystout View Post
The STI G.I. was 100% made in Georgetown, Texas of texas steel. Don't confuse the G.I. with the Spartan, where the frame & slide,barrel were all made by armscor and fitted with STI internals.
I wasn't sure on the exact model. I knew one had an imported connection, but couldn't remember which.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I wasn't sure on the exact model. I knew one had an imported connection, but couldn't remember which.
The Spartan's are actually a great gun for the money you pay. All final fitting and internals are STI.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 AM

Duplicate post
Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 AM

Chose the STI

Spoke with Customer Support at STI last week, and they confirmed that the G.I. model was 100% American made...so I decided to bid on it and I won. Ended up paying $750, but I think it was a good buy since they're kinda rare and no longer made.

I will post a range review once it arrives.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Congratulations on the buy. You can sleep sound knowing STI has one of the better warranties in the business. Lifetime wether you're the first or tenth owner, and they pay shipping both ways.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Thanks, Des.

This will be my first (true) government model, and I'm hoping I wont have to send it off to a smith for beaver tail and hammer. I've heard the old school models are not real comfortable to shoot and tend to bite, HARD...especially for those of us that grip high. But if I do, I will seek recommendations from you guys on parts.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM
1911 Aficionado

I shot a pistol with G.I. hammer and grip safety in practical competition for three years, as high a grip as possible, and never had much trouble with bite, though there was that one time I literally had the gun dangling from the web of my hand . . .
I've come to prefer the M1911 grip safety and short hammer combination of the original M1911.
Like a lot of people, I have a hard time depressing the grip safety, and cutting off a static part of the frame to install a long beavertail just makes it worse.