THIS is what Wilson's been up to!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM

THIS is what Wilson's been up to!!

Guys, check THIS out in case you might have been wondering what Wilson has been up to!!!!
https://mailchi.mp/wilsoncombat/wcp3...5?e=b8ca58660c
Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM

Pass.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:57 PM

It’s nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 05:02 PM

If I were to buy a 320 I'd like the Wilson version better! How's the value on it? I couldn't find MSRP on a regular one to compare. I think I'd rather see an action tune included or something other than cosmetic changes at that price point.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:06 PM

Seemed inevetetable after they started selling the grip modules.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:34 PM

As of right now I hate seeing all these companies going over to the plastic fantastics.

Will I change? I don't know yet.

I just hope that they don't forget how to build a fine 1911.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:48 PM

I thought the same thing. About 4 years ago I bought a gen 5 glock 19. Because my 1500.00 colt would not work. Its been back to colt 3 times. Just took it to the range 2 weeks ago they still did not fix it. How pathetic is that? I like the glocks. Accurate, reliable,
Easy to shoot, dont break. Im sold. The custom 1911s, sig sauers, smith & wessons, and colts dont get shot. Im to the point where the glocks shoot as well as custom stuff if I do my part. You might change your mind. I was a 1911 guy. And the glocks are stock out of the box.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:09 PM

New offerings of quality -- and this Wilson/Sig P320 is surely that -- will typically generate an initial flurry of excitement and orders.

There's a subset of firearms enthusiasts who are perpetually on the hunt for such firearms. And any existing Sig P320 enthusiast would almost certainly have an interest.

Whether a new offering has staying power for years into the future is a different question.

Some do; most probably do not. But it's not always easy to predict these things.

The 1911 is a design that has proven staying power. It's not for everyone, but it hits the sweet spot for many.

I'm one of those staying with the 1911, a well-proven trusted friend.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-02-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:26 PM

I wouldn’t trade any Wilson I own for 5 of them.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:13 PM

Nope.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:33 AM

Take a look at my comment and those of others from the Addicts forum
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...n-up-to.94295/
Old 04-03-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool45 View Post
I thought the same thing. About 4 years ago I bought a gen 5 glock 19. Because my 1500.00 colt would not work. Its been back to colt 3 times. Just took it to the range 2 weeks ago they still did not fix it. How pathetic is that? I like the glocks. Accurate, reliable,
Easy to shoot, dont break. Im sold. The custom 1911s, sig sauers, smith & wessons, and colts dont get shot. Im to the point where the glocks shoot as well as custom stuff if I do my part. You might change your mind. I was a 1911 guy. And the glocks are stock out of the box.
Let me say I agree with you. I bought only one Glock, Gen 5 G19. I have always been a 1911 guy, for over 50 years. Love shooting the 1911ís I own. Out of the box, The G 19 impressed me very much. Over 10,000 rounds had no issues. Shoots every kind of 9mm ammo I tried. I will say, I did change The sights, in addition, some trigger work was done as well. Since doing two mods. I can shoot the G 19 as well as any of my 1911ís, based on my skill level. Donít get me wrong, nothing can take the place of my 1911, but enjoying the G 19
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 AM

I just don't understand the thought process that went into this product.

Aren't they basically just undercutting sales of the EDC X9 pistol line?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool45 View Post
..... I like the glocks. Accurate, reliable,
If you like those, and you're set on going with plastic, then try the CZ offerings. Your Glocks won't get shot anymore either!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post

Seems like it will! Compact, high capacity, Wilson reliability, Wilsonized trigger at half the price... I understand the differences, striker Vs. Hammer, Plastic Vs. Metal frame, but still seems like it will attract some sales that might have gone to the EDC X9...
Old 04-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:

The skeptic in me suspects that the initial (likely temporary) "new product" interest might be viewed by Wilson as likely generating enough sales to justify the endeavor.

And maybe/likely it will. After all, the basic gun itself has already been designed and built by Sig. And a customer base already exists.

But unlike a top tier 1911, I rather doubt that this Sig/Wilson P320 collaboration will still be offered five years hence.

I suppose it's possible for a firearm manufacturer to always chase the next innovation that generates an initial sales spurt. And to make a profit from that approach. But if that becomes the pattern, year after year, and if previous hot innovations disappear into obscurity, it risks -- just a risk, not a certainty -- impingement on a well earned reputation as being the premier builder (perhaps together with two of three others) of the timeless 1911.

In regard to your last good question (I think it is a good question), this is possibly a clue that the EDC X9 has had its best moment of basking in the role of "latest new idea"... and that time is now moving on.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-03-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:52 AM

And bring out a timer and watch the 1911 cut down these wannabes........

I've had more jams and parts break on my glocks than my Wilsons and Brown and they have only 1/3 the rounds through them across more guns. I don't trust them as much since they simply break more and are way more ammo sensitive
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-03-2020, 12:15 PM

I put that grip on my existing P320 full size. It made a huge difference in the ergonomics of the weapon making it highly more pointable, and since my hand is much higher on the grip, easier to shoot, and more consistent in its accuracy. I tossed the SIG grip in a bin.

Most of what Wilson has done to the slide appears cosmetic. I don't need cosmetics, just a good carry gun for those times when I am switching out from a 1911.

FYI, if you haven't noticed the disclaimer, all magazine bases which have the ears need to have those ears removed. It's any easy process, just chuck a dremel in your vise, carefully trim the ears, and then sand the base pad flush with the rest of the base pad. I think that it took me 10 minutes tops to do this to each magazine. Since I have at least 12 of these magazines, I was busy for a couple of hours.
More guns than I care to tell the wife
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 04-03-2020, 04:30 PM

I bought a new G34 for Steel Challenge and USPSA. I mounted an SRO on it and it would not run. The slide locked back constantly with rounds still in the magazine. I sent it back to Glock. They replaced the ejector??? It did nothing to fix the problem. I took it to a local gunsmith who cut/re-tensioned the slide stop spring. It's run 100% since. Glocks can break, and their factory armorers are now suspect in my book.

P.S. I have a G19 done by Wilson and a G48 done by Wilson. Their frame treatment is really nice and grippy. I think their version of the Sig will be super nice.

Last edited by bradsvette; 04-03-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Good to see Wilson expand product line. Beretta, Glock and now Sig. Smart move. I enjoy my Wilson Combat Beretta. I’m sure the Glock and now Sig folks will also enjoy the new offerings. Not everyone can afford a $5,000 Custom 1911.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

My personal opinion is that this is a smart move. The recent discontinuation of low volume models leaves room for capacity in things that many in the market want these days. Plus, they are still producing GREAT 1911's that are the more popular demand AS WELL AS positioning themselves to be able to quickly respond to a changing market base (the younger set that seems to thing striker fired is the cat's meow). As that market transitions, they are in an established position already to address it; I see that as prudent. They will still be making 1911's for a long time methinks, heck just look at the new lines of 1911's they've introduced in the last 18 to 24 months.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:

The EDC X9 has been out for 4 years now. The demand is all but over.

No one who has the money to buy an X9 would ever consider buying the Wilson Sig instead (unless they already have an X9).

But those who don’t have the money for an X9 would likely consider the Wilson Sig.

The Wilson Sig will not take a single X9 sale away.

The profit margin is probably the same anyway.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:34 AM

I honestly am disappointed in the direction WC is going. Let me be clear, disappointed means as the years go on there are less and less offerings I personally have an interest in.

I'm going to pay 2X the normal amount for a plastic fantastic in Wilson trim? No thank you.

In the plastic space, Walther-Arms produces the best performance at the best price. I have no need to look elsewhere. This is especially true in 9mm, 1 inch rested groups at 25Y, wining on the PRO circuit in stock trim, etc.

But it is their Business and it is mostly a free country, I wish them much business success as I have 5 WC warranties (out of their Legacy ;-) Product line) I want them to honor for another 100 years;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-04-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:05 AM

Very smart business sense and able to think outside the 1911 box - plain and simple they will be around for a long time.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:41 AM

Just like Porsche also makes sedans and SUVs, besides their flagship, the 911, and Mercedes also makes sports cars and SUVs, besides their sedans, Wilson can also make tricked out Berettas, Glocks, and now Sigs. Wilson will always be an ultra premium brand. Their Berettas, Glocks, and Sigs must cost significantly more than the norm in order to maintain that brand-image. Their quality is tip top, so they can charge those premium prices. And I believe their guns are worth that cost.

I'm proud of my Wilson Glocks and I get plenty of compliments when I show them off. And if I go to sell them, they'll sell for good money too. I have 5 other Wilsons, besides my Wilson Glocks. They were all at least twice as expensive as what most other like-guns would sell for. But I bought them, and so did the guys participating in this thread. That expense didn't bother us when buying Wilson 1911s or Wilson ARs, then why should it bother us to buy Wilson Sigs.