I am considering a Barrett Rec 7. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 09:23 PM

I am considering a Barrett Rec 7.

I am considering one of their piston guns. I am wondering if they are worth the extra money over the DI guns?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM

You will get differing opinions on this for various reasons. I went thru the whole piston vs DI thing and actually spent a lot of coin putting them thru their paces. I came away from it with the opinion that there's not a thing wrong with a properly made DI gun and the extra weight, parts (in many cases propietary) and cost was not worth it.

Your choice of a Barrett is a good one.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 AM

I have had a few piston run AR's and would not spend extra money on an AR based on that again. I could not tell any difference in function and the cleaning aspect was not worth the extra money. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing special either.

We should be thankful to both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 09:15 AM

Honestly, I think piston ARs are overrated. There is no parts commonality between manufacturers. If a company goes under, replacement parts are finite. DI got a bad reputation in the '60s, but the issues have been worked out since then.

The only piston AR I'd buy would be a Colt 6940P just for the rarity of it. I'd hate for something to break on it though, since factory support is likely going away, if it hasn't already. A lot of people don't even realize this gun exists (This speaks volumes about Colt's sad marketing department).

If you want a 556 piston gun that takes STANAG mags, the Galil ACE is nice. Armalite also said they plan on bringing back the AR-180 again and giving it a STANAG magwell like the short lived AR-180B.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 02-16-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:42 PM

It looks like a good gun. Just wondering why you want DI? What is the "advantage" you most covet?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Come on Harry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
It looks like a good gun. Just wondering why you want DI? What is the "advantage" you most covet?
Read my first post again.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:58 PM

The choice is good. Can’t go wrong with a Barrett.
The only thing I can add is when it comes to shooting them suppressed the cost difference becomes worth it to me. My DI Colt gets funk nasty dirty while my PWS piston guns stay clean.
COTEP#782
Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 PM

If you clean the gun as often as you should, and don't fire the rifle before draining the gas tube after it gets submerged in water, there is nothing wrong with direct impingement.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 PM
More Cowbell...

If I had a beard and tatoos I would get a piston gun. Until then I am happy with my DI guns. I even use them suppressed and am still happy.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 PM

What if you only have a beard or tattoos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
If I had a beard and tatoos I would get a piston gun. Until then I am happy with my DI guns. I even use them suppressed and am still happy.
But not both. Then what would you do?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
If you're mocking the "operator" stereotype, most of them are likely using whatever DI guns Uncle Sam provides them, unless it's a SCAR or HK of some sort.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:11 AM

I would go PWS before Barret for a piston gun.

As far as if they are better.....only if you’re shooting suppressed, IMO
Old 02-17-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Read my first post again.
You must have a reason? A leanining?

Or do you just want to say you have a piston? Maybe you want to try something different? Like the brand? The last three questions imo would be subjective on your part.

There are other reasons less subjective, but you don’t mention those.

So I was just wondering? Why are you considering a piston, in my opinion you can spend the same amount of money on standard gun get that same quality and unlimited replacement parts.

Me, I do not think they are worth the extra money. As a general rule I don’t like proprietary. Although I got a few ARs with proprietary components, but I can give you my perceived performance advantage.

I have never held a barret, but I have shot and cleaned a piston, the Barret looks very nice.

I look at piston on a AR kinda like I look at EE on a 1911.

Last edited by HarryO45; 02-17-2020 at 07:48 AM. Reason: TBI took hold...
Old 02-17-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
You must have a reason? A leanining?

Or do you just want to say you have a DI? Maybe you want to try something different? Like the brand? The last three questions imo would be subjective on your part.

There are other reasons less subjective, but you donít mention those.

So I was just wondering? Why are you considering a DI, in my opinion you can spend the same amount of money on standard gun get that same quality and unlimited replacement parts.

Me, I do not think they are worth the extra money. As a general rule I donít like proprietary. Although I got a few ARs with proprietary components, but I can give you my perceived performance advantage.

I have never held a barret, but I have shot and cleaned a DI, the Barret looks very nice.

I look at DI on a AR kinda like I look at EE on a 1911.
I think your confusing piston with DI:

Direct Impingement is the original technology, devised by Eugene Stoner. Propellant gas is bled through a small hole located in the barrel, which is then channeled through a very small tube where it can proceed to directly contact (or impinge) the bolt carrier mechanism.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I think your confusing piston with DI:

Direct Impingement is the original technology, devised by Eugene Stoner. Propellant gas is bled through a small hole located in the barrel, which is then channeled through a very small tube where it can proceed to directly contact (or impinge) the bolt carrier mechanism.
You are correct...my apologies
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 AM

Why not? The only Barrett I’ve been close to and shot is my friends 50 BMG.
Which caliber and configuration are you considering? It seems modular enough if you’re inclined to clean it...
The weight doesn’t sound bad at all compared to conventional DI guns either.

Last edited by Plantar5; 02-17-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 AM

I have 3 Barrett REC7s. All DI and all in 223/556.

The level of fit and finish, along with an extreme attention to detail throughout the guns make these ARs tack drivers and make the piston version irrelevant.

Almost all of the REC7 components are made in house. Barrett even makes the barrels using Krieger blanks.

They create a chamber that is a hybrid of 223 and 5.56 almost like a 223 Wylde Chamber.

The bolt is nickel boron coated and all of the small parts are super high quality.

Are they worth the $1700 price when they first came onto the market? IMO no. But they are worth the $1100 I paid for each that I got, brand new from an online retailer.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
If you're mocking the "operator" stereotype, most of them are likely using whatever DI guns Uncle Sam provides them, unless it's a SCAR or HK of some sort.
I am absolutely mocking the "YouTube" Operators that think you have to have a piston gun because they are the only rifle that will stay clean and whatever witty saying they come up with.

After spending a good portion of my life deployed since 2001, I am well versed in what works and what doesent.

The only Barrett I own is a M107 with an AAC can.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I am considering one of their piston guns. I am wondering if they are worth the extra money over the DI guns?
Iím not familiar with the Barrett Rec7, but Barrett does appear to have a solid reputation.

Most folks seem to favor either gas or DI, but I dig them both equally well. I suppose in the end, it all comes down to your budget and intended application. I donít see either one offering an advantage over the other for home defense.

But, humping a rifle all day, running drills while on the move, or high volume shooting, then Iíd have to go with DI for the weight savings and non-proprietary parts replacement.

Bench mounting, occasional range use, not in the mood to clean, prefer shooting suppressed, or just want to add a brace for compactness, with the ability to empty mag-after-mag with the brace or stock folded, then Iíd much prefer gas piston.

After shooting 75-100 rounds of 300blk through my suppressed DI 9Ē barrel, I can definitely feel the bolt slowing down, it hasnít stopped yet, but then again, I do relube the BCG after 100 rounds. My gas ARs could probably run that same drill smoother than my DI rifles, starting out without any lube on the BCG.

I wouldnít dismiss the advantages of a clean running AR, albeit gas or DI. As such, thereís time when I just simply donít feel like cleaning my AR, but if itís DI, then I have to do it, if itís gas, itís optional.

Geez, that allot of talk to just simply say, get the gas AR, youíll love it.

Hereís a pic of my gas guns: 7.62, 5.56, 12ga, 12ga.
Attached Thumbnails
68DAC871-FFFE-430F-93DA-5931C1B20F5F.jpeg  
Old 02-17-2020, 12:32 PM

Who did you get them from for 11 bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverystout View Post
I have 3 Barrett REC7s. All DI and all in 223/556.

The level of fit and finish, along with an extreme attention to detail throughout the guns make these ARs tack drivers and make the piston version irrelevant.

Almost all of the REC7 components are made in house. Barrett even makes the barrels using Krieger blanks.

They create a chamber that is a hybrid of 223 and 5.56 almost like a 223 Wylde Chamber.

The bolt is nickel boron coated and all of the small parts are super high quality.

Are they worth the $1700 price when they first came onto the market? IMO no. But they are worth the $1100 I paid for each that I got, brand new from an online retailer.
I am only seeing them for full retail around me.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 PM

I started this thread as I just wanted to know.

If there really is an advantage to having a piston gas gun over a direct impingement gun in an Ar type of rifle. While I am clear on the difference between them. I honestly did not know the answer to my question.

As expected you fellers all here have been kind enough to get me squared away in this regard. As I expected that you would. And with all of the information presented here. I am pretty sure that I can make the right decision for myself. In this case being a DI gun.

My wife has taken over my Noveske and does pretty well with it. For which I am greatful. So I need something similar. I got her to agree to take a couple of classes with me at Storm mountain in the spring. While I enjoy suppressors and use them. I will not be putting one on one of these rifles anytime soon.

Much thanks for all of the educated responses here. You guys just saved me some bucks and possibly agravation.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I am only seeing them for full retail around me.
Special sale at D&L Shooting Supplies in RI that I took advantage of about 8 months ago.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:12 PM

Nice score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverystout View Post
Special sale at D&L Shooting Supplies in RI that I took advantage of about 8 months ago.
It looks like I missed out. But thank you for the come back anyway.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 AM

I still prefer the simplicity of the direct impingement system. But maybe if a good deal comes along for the parts to build one, I do like putting them together, I might get one. I have seen some of the deals so far, but I didn't pull the trigger yet on one.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM

My Rec7 is my favorite rifle.
I also have a PWS. I like it, but itís clunky to field strip, and I had to send it back severa times to get it running. To their credit, it cost me zero and they are very prompt and friendly.