Kimber external extractor - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 PM

Kimber external extractor

Hello new to this sight and need help. I have a kimber stainless II with the external extractor. Although it runs perfect I decided to purchase a extra extractor and that when I discovered I couldn't locate one. After contacting kimber i was told they didn't carry it and for $195 +$25 S&H and roughly four weeks they would do a complete gun check and replace the slide. I understand at least according to the internet they are total junk. Well that's not my experience and I don't want the slide changed because I like the EE. So two questions first are the really that bad should I rethink my position and second if not where can I locate an extra external extractor.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:11 PM

Sig uses an external extractor in their 1911s, maybe you can get lucky and get theirs to work.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:12 PM

I’d take their offer. That way, you’ll have a 1911 (that you like) that you can get replacement extractors for from practically anywhere.

I understand that you like your EE Kimber, but I seriously doubt that they’ll ever have any collector value, and a lot of folks have no interest in having one, or even taking one in on trade.

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 12:51 PM

I agree with the previous post. I’d take their offer. Personally, if I see a used kimber with an EE I won’t even consider it unless it’s practically being given away.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:47 PM

While I have no love for the EE Kimbers I'm of the school that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you're shooting it and enjoying it what's the problem.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:48 PM

I'm thinking Kimber will probably pretty much offer you the same service whether you do it now or a few years down the road, as long as they are still in business, and they seem to be doing pretty well right now. I think where it will really become an issue for you is if you decide to try to sell or trade it. So, do you bite the bullet and have it done now, or later on?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:19 PM

Ok thank you everyone I really appreciate your input
Old 01-12-2020, 09:09 PM

Ok one more question.. are kimber frame interchangeable with other slides like Wilson, brown, Caspian and so on?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:49 PM

If my math is correct $220 for a new slide & Kimber going through your gun seems like a good deal.
No idea if your frame will accept other makes of slides.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 AM

I bought a Grand Raptor II in 2005 that has one. So far it has been O.K. I keep it in my shooty collection as my only example of a Kimber with the external extractor and Swartz type mechanical firing pin safety.

As I remember Kimber went through four iterations of the external extractor design and they finally got it right but by then the damage was done. Also as I recall there were more problems with it on pistols with less than a 5 inch barrel slide.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
I’d take their offer. That way, you’ll have a 1911 (that you like) that you can get replacement extractors for from practically anywhere.

I understand that you like your EE Kimber, but I seriously doubt that they’ll ever have any collector value, and a lot of folks have no interest in having one, or even taking one in on trade.
What he said^^^^^^^.

I don't always agree with Rick, in fact I argue with him a lot in the past, but on this subject.....I agree with him 100%.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM

The EE and the Swartz safety turned many people away from Kimber, myself included. The EE was a dismal failure, even after several tries. You can barely give them away.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Kimber is going to want the whole gun so is $25 shipped both ways? If not it will be at least $40 or $50 to ship it to kimber. So that would add to the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 12:15 PM

Since it works fine so far, I'd say it just depends on how much you rely on the pistol and how seriously you use it. If it's just another pistol in the safe, I'd shoot it to failure (if it ever does fail). At least you know Kimber will make you a good deal on a new slide. Heck, if it DOES fail, they might be obligated to replace the slide for free since they can't replace the extractor!

If it serves a serious role in competition or defense, I'd probably take Kimber up on their offer. It's a good deal. I would never trust those extractors, and it would stink if it broke or stopped being reliable. You'd be in a pinch until Kimber replaced the slide, and that's best-case in that scenario.

Last edited by ether; 01-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:55 PM

Take their offer. It is very reasonable.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Take the offer. I have a TLE RLII that went through several different versions of the external extractors before they finally replaced the slide. As previously said the external extractor was a bust!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:11 AM

OK, first external extractors. I know most 1911 owners don't like them however Glock, H&K, and almost all VERY RELIABLE polymer guns have them. My SIG and S&W 1911's with them have run perfectly. I had a Kimber Eclipse that I ran in USPSA Limited 10 with the External extractor that never gave me any issues until someone stole it. Sure, it's not a pure 1911 but neither is a rail which bothers me more.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:42 PM

I have the opportunity to pick up a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with an EE in trade for my RRA LAR 15 operator. It comes with 5 mags.(3 Wilson’s, and 2 Kimber). Is it worth the trade?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwalker View Post
I have the opportunity to pick up a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with an EE in trade for my RRA LAR 15 operator. It comes with 5 mags.(3 Wilson’s, and 2 Kimber). Is it worth the trade?
Not in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:54 PM

I agree with Huevos. I wouldn't make that trade.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 PM

Thank you Huevos, and QJI26! I appreciate your help!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair870 View Post
Hello new to this sight and need help. I have a kimber stainless II with the external extractor. Although it runs perfect I decided to purchase a extra extractor and that when I discovered I couldn't locate one. After contacting kimber i was told they didn't carry it and for $195 +$25 S&H and roughly four weeks they would do a complete gun check and replace the slide. I understand at least according to the internet they are total junk. Well that's not my experience and I don't want the slide changed because I like the EE. So two questions first are the really that bad should I rethink my position and second if not where can I locate an extra external extractor.
Wolff makes an extra power spring for the Kimber external extractor that helps solve issues with weak extractor tension. You can get them direct from Wolff at gunsprings.com in single or multiple spring packs. It wouldn't hurt to have a few on hand in case you run into issues down the road. If you like your gun the way it is (and it seems to be working for you) then keep it and save the money. I had a Compact years ago that did well with nothing more than this extractor spring change.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM

Have Kimber replace the slide. The value of the gun will increase at least $200
Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 PM

Why in the world would you pay Kimber to replace an obviously defective part? They tried to get it right three times before giving up. They owe the suckers that bought one!
Old 04-06-2020, 10:02 PM

My first Kimber had one, a Tac II Custom. I sent t back and they replaced the slide for free.