Carry ammo MegaThread - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 PM

thanks Dean for the review. i still carry my stack that has 3 types of ammo in it. i have my reasons, but two types of jhp then some efmj.

if i am inside a circle-k and need to fire a magazine or two, not sure i want any rounds to leave beyond the brick walls of the place.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R. View Post
Been awhile since I've fired my 45 at the range. Have some 20 year old hollow point ammo. Is this too old to use? Want to start practicing again with good ammo. Want to get my CHL here in Houston.

I also would like recommendations on the best self-defense ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.
Shoot it and find out.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:51 AM

deleted...

Last edited by Glenn_S; 05-06-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: I'm a putz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 PM

Replying to an almost 3 year old thread makes me more than a day late and a dollar short but here is my 2 cents anyway.

I've shot WWII issue ammo that fed right through like it was made yesterday so as long as it was stored properly chances are it will still go bang every time.
For the range I've been finding a lot of Magtech and S&B (which are both made by the same company) on sale so I've been shooting that. Just got 1000 rds of Federal aluminum case for well under 25 cents a round so that will be next.

Carry is Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P for the 45's, Golden Saber 165gr for the 40's and Buffalo Bore 21B or Sig Sauer 180gr JHP for the 10mm (all 1911 frames).
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM

I don't mind ammo such as Tulammo. However, I prefer to use ammo such as American Eagle, PMC, or Remington. I use Hornady Critical Defense, or Gold Dot for carry.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 AM

.45 acp - Shoot Winchester white box at the range and handloads. For carry i used hornady critical defense, but i'm now looking at Black Hills Honeybadger.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog93 View Post
.45 acp - Shoot Winchester white box at the range and handloads. For carry i used hornady critical defense, but i'm now looking at Black Hills Honeybadger.
Compare the Black Hills stuff to G2 Research R.I.P. "Radically Invasive Projectile"
Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 PM

I carry Hornady Critical duty, it's meant for Leo's, but hey...it ends up in the same place right?
Old 11-30-2019, 06:05 PM

For my 1911, I run standard American Eagle 230 gr. ball ammo through it. I don't use it for defense, though. I purchased some Winchester ammo and it was so dirty in comparison that it felt like I was insulting it every time I pulled the trigger. I fired may 40 rounds through it during a range trip and spent more time cleaning it then any of my other guns.

My Glock 23 is my main carry/defense gun. For practice, I'll buy whatever cheapest. Usually it's 180 gr. Blazer Brass or if I'm feeling spendy upfront, I'll buy a bunch in bulk for the best deal. For carry ammo, I use 180 gr. Speer Gold Dot LE ammo. It's police trade in ammo. I figure if police are literally trusting their lives to it, that's a good reason for me to. For woods carry, I use 200 gr. Underwood Hard Cast rounds.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:52 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R. View Post
Been awhile since I've fired my 45 at the range. Have some 20 year old hollow point ammo. Is this too old to use? Want to start practicing again with good ammo. Want to get my CHL here in Houston.

I also would like recommendations on the best self-defense ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.

No reason that ammo can't be used. As long as it was stored properly it should work fine. There is no reason, however, that you have to use hollow point ammo for concealed carry. Soft point, flat point lead, or FMJ are also viable choices. Depends on the gun you plan to use. There are a lot of us out here who have no particular liking for hollow points for concealed carry for a variety of reasons. For practice purposes, I'd recommend using 230 gr. FMJ. If you can master that, you can handle any other type of .45 ammo.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2019, 05:38 PM

For practice, 230gr PMC FMJ. Cleaner, accurate and far more consistent than WWB and UMC for about, and sometimes even less $$.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:28 AM

For EDC: Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm 147 grain

For range practice: Blazer Brass 9mm 147 grain