Federal Primer Sizes - American Eagle and Federal Champion - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM

My buddy that works at the Federal plant in MN, and is on the .45 line has told me. That all .45acp ammo from thier plant is large primer. If it comes from one of there other plants. I forget which one right now. They are small primers. Due to which type of loader each plant uses. If you check the back of the head of the one's with the SP's. They will have a slight dish to them. they come from the plant that makes the CCI's and Blasers. The ones with the LP's will have flat bases. Those come from the MN plant. Federal is owned by the same company that owns CCI, Speer, Lake City etc. They some times do work for one another so there is the resone why some Federal Champion .45acp's are large primers and some are small.

On another note. I take all the small primer .45acp brass you guy's do not want. I would be happy to pay the shipping. This way I only need to stock small pistol primers for my 9mm and my .45.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Glad this was pointed out. I have both too. Irritating because I really like federal stuff. Oh well, I have to keep small pistol primers stocked anyway.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Just got a case of American Eagle. The boxes I checked all had large primers.

Never seen small primers in the AE. Yet.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Indoor Ranges -Small Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesIII View Post
It has been a recent trend. I think most of it has to do with attempting to go lead free "green" or whatever it's called.
It so far has only really been a pain to the reloading community.
Yep,supposed to help the indoor range pollution.
NRA-USAF (SAC) Vietnam era Vet, Kimber Custom Defender II-Girsan 1911.45 (Hard Chrome)Franchi I-12 Diamond Semi-Auto engraved Shotgun, Mauser 8 MM Sport rifle, High Standard .22 Revolver,.22 Rifle, 20 Gage Shotgun, Phoenix HP.22 Pistol, Ruger SR22 Pistol.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM

The reason I buy small primer .45 acp brass is because I have small pistol primers available and i haven't seven seen any large pistol primers in quite a while. In a pinch, I can even use the same small rifle primers used to load .233.
There is nothing on the primer shelves at the moment, so we just have to make do.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM

I love small primmer 45acp's. I only have to stock small pistol primmers to do all of my hangun reloading.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
The bullets don't have primers.
The cases have primers.

Standard small pistol primer.

Small or large primer, the difference between American Eagle
and Champion is found in the bullet and the powder charge.
AE uses FMJ bullets. Champion uses copper plated lead bullets.
AE uses enough powder to achieve typical standard velocity.
Champion is short loaded for softer recoil and lower velocity.

Many manufacturers have several different ammo plants,
and often contract out to other ammo manufacturers.
Whether it gets large or small primer is a function of
the particular ammo plant producing it.
It is not a function of anything else, regardless
of what the conspiracy buffs make up.
sounds more logical to me than anything I have heard so far, it would make sense that they may save time by not having to change tooling when changing from one case size to another. or it could be because of primer avalability.

Last edited by gmnut3.518; 09-15-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: want to add to post
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesIII View Post
It has been a recent trend. I think most of it has to do with attempting to go lead free "green" or whatever it's called.
It so far has only really been a pain to the reloading community.
I dont buy that explination, they make lead free large primers, IMO its because there are more small primers avalable, its so they dont have to stop production and wait for primers. but thats my opinion based on the ammo I have seen for sale, (seems like equil ammout of both large and small primer) and the avalability of large and small primers for sale online and at my local reloading suppliers
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 AM

Large & Small primer 45ACPs

Shortly after starting to reload my 45 ACPs I learned about the reality of large and small primers in some of the factory ammo that I bought. Not only Federal Champion but all of the Blazer and at least one other use the small primer. After having reloaded 2500 this year, I probably only have about 200 cases that require a small primer. When I get to around 500 cases, if I ever do, I will make the switch and reload for the small primer pocket. It is easy to differentiate between the two, and even found that if you load the brass butt up after resizing and depriming in a case or holder, it is easy to see the one or two different apples in the barrel.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM

An interesting question is how much it cost to re-tool in order to produce .45 brass with the small pocket. Since this discussion started 2 years ago by the OP, you would think that if that was the direction the mfg were headed, that we would only find small primer rounds by now. My area has about 25% small. I guess it must be cheap to change brass configurations and no need to change completely??��
Old 06-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Small primer causing squib rounds?

Was at a 2x4 match last week and a guy's barrel blew up the on his Hi-Point carbine. Believes he may have had a squib round and didn't feel it and fired a round after the possible squib.

Other people said it was caused by small primers. Any opinions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	225329
Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeybigs View Post
Was at a 2x4 match last week and a guy's barrel blew up the on his Hi-Point carbine. Believes he may have had a squib round and didn't feel it and fired a round after the possible squib.

Other people said it was caused by small primers. Any opinions?

Attachment 225329
Could have been a squib.

Nothing to do with primer size.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM

GONRA does NOT like SMALL PRIMER .45 ACP brass.
We just gotta segregrate .45 ACP Range Brass by primer size - load accordingly.

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE GUYS!

Unfortunately, us Olde Farts Just gotta "man up & get used to it".
Old 04-29-2018, 06:53 PM

6 year ago already! Probably not a big deal now but since photobucket has left most of internet forums pictureless I have reposted the photo

Federal Champion on Left (small primer), Federal American Eagle on Right (large primer)