300 AAC Blackout ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 09:36 AM

300 AAC Blackout ?

Hi: I have a AR15 in 300AAC Blackout , my question is can anyone tell me what the AAC stands for. Thanks
Old 11-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by top gun 638 View Post
Hi: I have a AR15 in 300AAC Blackout , my question is can anyone tell me what the AAC stands for. Thanks

The .300 AAC Blackout (designated as the 300 BLK by the SAAMI[1] and 300 AAC Blackout by the C.I.P.[2]), also known as 7.62×35mm is an intermediate cartridge developed in the United States by Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) for use in the M4 carbine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 12:12 PM

I learned something today , thanks for the info. Have a great holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeandSugar View Post
The .300 AAC Blackout (designated as the 300 BLK by the SAAMI[1] and 300 AAC Blackout by the C.I.P.[2]), also known as 7.62×35mm is an intermediate cartridge developed in the United States by Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) for use in the M4 carbine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Developed by AAC? I don’t think so. They 100% (well technically 99%) copied JD Jones original 300 Whisper design after they could not come to a licensing agreement.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Developed by AAC? I don’t think so. They 100% (well technically 99%) copied JD Jones original 300 Whisper design after they could not come to a licensing agreement.
“ The 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout have small differences in their brass dimensions: Blackout 0.004 larger in the neck, 0.018 longer case length and 0.16 longer OAL. ... 300 AAC Blackout and 300 Whisper ™ are not the exact same thing. It is similar to . 223 vs 5.56mm in that the difference is in the neck of the cartridge.”

I think AAC perfected the whisper?
COTEP#782
Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
“ The 300 Whisper and 300 Blackout have small differences in their brass dimensions: Blackout 0.004 larger in the neck, 0.018 longer case length and 0.16 longer OAL. ... 300 AAC Blackout and 300 Whisper are not the exact same thing. It is similar to . 223 vs 5.56mm in that the difference is in the neck of the cartridge.”

I think AAC perfected the whisper?

Can you chamber a 300 whisper in a 300 Blackout and vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post

Good to know. Thanks. No infringement then since 300 ACC Blackout is labeled and marketed as such?

Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
One of the most useless cartridges ever developed. It was designed as a heavy bullet auto cartridge for taking out terrorists in room to room fighting in the M4 with a suppressor. Civilian wanna-bes tried to turn it into a deer/pig shooter with supersonic loads when most states at that time didn't allow suppressors.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Administrator

I don't know about it being useless. I just started playing with the cartridge and so far I'm pretty impressed. It turns a standard AR into something that's competitive with 7.62x39mm but without all the headaches involved trying to get it work in an AR platform. It's also ideal in short AR pistols or SBRs as it loses very little velocity in a 10" or shorter barrel, unlike the 5.56, and with no huge flamethrower muzzle flash either. The subsonic loads are a bit more controversial, since you lose a considerable amount of muzzle energy and wind up with something barely more powerful than a .45ACP, but they still have their uses nonetheless.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 AM

I thought about putting together a 300 Blackout AR, but went with 7.62 x 39 instead. I think most of the problems using 7.62 x 39 in the AR platform came from magazine issues. C Products mags have worked fine for me. 7.62 x 39 is surprisingly accurate out of an AR, and even the better brands of steel cased ammo are still cheap. It's a fun range toy.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I don't know about it being useless. I just started playing with the cartridge and so far I'm pretty impressed. It turns a standard AR into something that's competitive with 7.62x39mm but without all the headaches involved trying to get it work in an AR platform. It's also ideal in short AR pistols or SBRs as it loses very little velocity in a 10" or shorter barrel, unlike the 5.56, and with no huge flamethrower muzzle flash either. The subsonic loads are a bit more controversial, since you lose a considerable amount of muzzle energy and wind up with something barely more powerful than a .45ACP, but they still have their uses nonetheless.

Well, if you're looking for a cartridge for subsonic work with a suppressor, the .277 Wolverine is more versatile, more accurate, and can mix subs and supers in the same magazine without loss of accuracy.

My comment was based on the fact that the .300 was designed and intended for urban combat with heavy bullets and a suppressor for the Seals and similar units. It has design flaws that make it less accurate at longer ranges, and because of its low powder capacity it doesn't have the ability to use supersonic rounds with adequate bullets. Lightweight .30 caliber bullets that have enough velocity don't have enough weight to take game at normal hunting ranges if point of impact is off by much, and their low BC hampers accuracy.

I've always looked at it as akin to putting a 454 cid engine in a Volkswagen Beetle. Goes real fast in a straight line, but doesn't take turns worth spit. But, what do I know? Evidently all of that doesn't matter.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 PM

300 AAC Blackout ?

Interesting history between the 300 Whisper and the 300 ACC Blackout. Fits with the 223 vs 556 comparison.

I asked if they were similar and will chamber in either or and I have my answer.

“Is there really that much difference between the .300 Whisper and the .300 Blackout? Given the fact that major manufacturers such as Hornady are building ammunition headstamped .300 Whisper and recommending it for use in either platform—in addition to producing reloading dies that are marked “300 Whisper/Blackout” and Smith & Wesson stamps the barrel of its M&P-15 Whisper barrels with: “300 Whisper/300 AAC Blackout” it is safe to say that differences are minimal. Through the years lots of great cartridges have gone by multiple names, i.e.,7x57 mm Mauser and .275 Rigby. Will the “Whisper” or “Blackout” names stick? Only time will tell. Either way, J.D. Jones developed the concept of a high-velocity/subsonic dual-role cartridge in 1992 and has done much through the years to perpetuate the concept. For any who doubt, it has all been well documented in industry reference books such as Cartridges Of The World and others. That said, there is new momentum behind this cartridge, whatever the world wants to call it.”

“In summary, yes you can fire .300 Whisper out of a .300 BLK firearm IF the ammunition was designed to do so. Hornaday’s ammo is the only one I investigated, but I’m sure other manufacturers are following suit to increase the marketability of their product. I still would take the gun and ammo to a gunsmith for testing or use the “long piece of string and vice grips” method to test whether it really is safe before trusting it to go off so close to my face.”

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-aac-blackout/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...t-firearm/amp/

Last edited by GeorgeandSugar; 11-25-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:37 PM

And to think this spun off from a simple question that has nothing to do with most of the responses.
Just like this one ;-)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I tend to agree. It's a fun round to shoot, 110 grain handloads shoot sub MOA in my rifle @100 (all the further I'd use it) and are lethal to whitetail in any range I actually hunt at (for the most part, but if I'm hunting the long range spots I bring my .308). In my lightweight AR it's a fast and light and handy brush gun for walkin' as well, certainly more handy than the .30-30 lever that used to fill that role

Also bullets are reasonably cheap, brass is extremely plentiful if you don't mind making your own and it shares powder with my .357 mag so that's one less can on the shelf.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by top gun 638 View Post
??
"AAC" = Advanced Armament Corp

Quote:
.... AAC developed the 300 AAC Blackout in cooperation with Remington Defense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout

Surely we know Google is not banned where you are

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 12-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.