45 ammo brands and types! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 PM

45 ammo brands and types!

Hello i have shot my very first colt 1911 series 80 1991 with winchester white box 45 230 grain with the blued 7 round magazine that came with it and 2 stainless 8 round magazines colt branded and it worked all flawlessly i am very happy with my 1911 as my uncle is too! So i wanted to ask some other ammo can I shoot in my 1911?

So far i shot some winchester white box 45 230 gr without any problems and i would like to know what other brands can i shoot in it and i know not to shoot and to stay away from +p and +p+ ammo cause it can cause wear!

So i saw these brown cardboard boxes (look like) winchester 45 230 gr 50 service grade ammo i think which is military ammo and i would like to know is that regular ammo or high pressured ammo can the colt 1911 series 80 and 70 or the 1991 shoot the service grade ammo without any problems is it safe?

Also i can also shoot american eagle fiocchi and remington brands in it also can the colt 1911 shoot lead ammo?

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:19 PM

Congrats on your Colt!

Depends on what you want. You mentioned Fiocchi - I've bought and shot a couple cases of Fiocchi before I started reloading and it's been great, accurate and clean. PMC and blazer brass are 2 others that have been good.

I have also liked a few 185gr and 200gr loads but they are much less common (at the retail stores) these days it seems. The AE or Rem ammo is fine as well, although dirtier, IME.

The service grade is just 45acp... they call it that as a marketing strategy.

You can shoot lead ammo. Just don't shoot lead before jacketed ammo. (until you clean the barrel) If you shoot both in one range session, shoot the jacketed ammo first.

Most importantly, pick up and save your brass. Put a few ziplock bags in your range bag. Even if you don't reload, save them and sell or gift them to a reloader.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 AM

Just about any name brand ammo will do
Remember in mass produced items you will sometimes find a problem but it does not happen that often.
I, myself, like to reload and shoot mostly my reloads.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 PM

I too like to reload, so I shoot my own. I cast my own bullets 230 gr LRN, that I powder coat. My RIA 1911 eats anything with no problems. I just recently picked up a 4595TS pistol caliber carbine so my 1911 can share what they eat best.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:29 AM

After you settle in a bit and get a bit more comfortable with it, you will soon figure a few things out. Although White Box and UMC go bang most of the time, they are utter garbage and accuracy and consistency will suffer because of it. Flechero had a few good suggestions. The biggest advice is to try a bunch if you don’t reload and find the one that works best in YOUR gun. Don’t forget to fire some premium stuff fairly often to become proficient with it. It will shoot differently, but kick your wallet around too!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:20 AM

PMC 230gr FMJ is a good bet. Good stuff for about the same price as WWB. If you're saving brass for reloading I'd stick with shooting either LPP or SPP ammo so you'll have one less variable to deal with.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM

At least the folks at PMC aren’t playing the stupid SPP game!
Either way you are screwed. Range brass cannot be controlled even when you use “the force”.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascolt92 View Post
Hello i have shot my very first colt 1911 series 80 1991 with winchester white box 45 230 grain with the blued 7 round magazine that came with it and 2 stainless 8 round magazines colt branded and it worked all flawlessly i am very happy with my 1911 as my uncle is too! So i wanted to ask some other ammo can I shoot in my 1911?

So far i shot some winchester white box 45 230 gr without any problems and i would like to know what other brands can i shoot in it and i know not to shoot and to stay away from +p and +p+ ammo cause it can cause wear!

So i saw these brown cardboard boxes (look like) winchester 45 230 gr 50 service grade ammo i think which is military ammo and i would like to know is that regular ammo or high pressured ammo can the colt 1911 series 80 and 70 or the 1991 shoot the service grade ammo without any problems is it safe?

Also i can also shoot american eagle fiocchi and remington brands in it also can the colt 1911 shoot lead ammo?

Thank you!
I sent an inquiry to Winchester about the difference between their White Box and Brown Box Service Grade ammo and their reply was that it was the same cartridge just different packaging. I’ve found the Service Grade can be found at a much lower price point.
Also had good experience with Sellier and Bellot 230 gr FMJ. It can often be purchased at or below the price of Fiocchi.

Last edited by woodlands747; 12-07-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 AM

You must have talked to Nancy the receptionist.
If I remember correctly, quite a few folks chimed in on a thread a couple years ago. The basic comments were that it was a descent bit hotter through the chrony and seemed to be more consistent. Of course, that was a few years ago, they are probably just dumping everything in one bin at this point.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Your specific gun will determine what it will or will not shoot reliably.

It should shoot any 230 grain RNFMJ ammo. (The military calls this "ball ammo"!)

Once your firearm shoots this reliably it means your magazines, feed ramp and spring set up is working together happily!

Changing to another bullet profile or pressure may upset what was previously working 1911. Nearly every 1911 stoppage can be related to springs, magazines or ammo!

All you have to do is google: "1911 stoppages and jams". You will learn every possible combination and fix for keeping the "venerable JMB design of his Model O" running!

Cheers,

Last edited by jjfitch; 12-09-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 AM

In ball (FMJ), your 1911 should be able to shoot almost any type. I am also a fan on PMC 230. Fairly priced, 100% reliable over many, many, 1911's I have and have had, good accuracy for ball...

Self defense ammo (HPs) is another matter, but you should be able to find a number of brands which work with your gun. You will only know via trial and error...I have had some "touchy" 1911's which wouldn't feed some HP-brand's 100% at times over the years but they would always feed Golden Saber 100%. The GS bullet face profiles is close to that of ball and likely what makes it a frendly-feeder. It has been around for years and years and has match grade accuracy (as advertised). It has good expansion, but is not at the top of the heap in 45. That honor goes to HST 230 which is my primary SD round (with GS as a "back-up").
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 AM

I have never chronographed the Winchester service grade ammo but it feels like there is more recoil than with the white box ammo so I think it is a little hotter. I have shot a lot of but Cabela's has the Sig hardball for about a dollar less and seems to be just as good. I have shot a box of the Browning hardball and that is definitely is definitely hotter but still shot good
Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 AM

the Winchester Service Grade ammo in brown military style box are full charged military loads, just like GI ball ammo, it will be a little hotter than the WWB bargain box ammo

I use it for Home Defense

S&B , MAGTECH , GECO, AGUILA , FIOCCHI , BLAZER aluminum case

is also very good to use , I usually buy S&B because it's only $14.99 retail at the gun store, a decent price for brass cased ammo
Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Speer Lawman , either 200gr or 230gr Flat Nose ammo for me .
They ARE just as accurate as my high dollar Gold Dots in all my 1911's and they double up as a solid defense round with the Flat Nose for real bone crushing penetration .
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

I shoot mostly reloads for accuracy so don't have much experience with the cheap stuff. I liked Ranger and and have shot PMC and AE, worked ok for me but dirty.
The one I like most is Federal Classic Hi-Shock 185gr (45c), I've bought several cases of it, but it is the most uncannily accurate stuff I've found. The same with their Classic 180gr 40's, I use them as a sanity check when I'm working up loads as they always turn in one ragged on-hole groups with my Ransom rest @25yds. Needless to say those are the ones I carry.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM

I find Winchester 230 grain bulk ammo to be dirty and have more jams than ordinary.What is the consensus of good bulk ammo that’s not as dirty and that feels well.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Buying cases of decent ammo is really the way to go. Some decent names are mentioned here. Steer away from bulk packs of garbage like “Mega Pack”, “Value Anything” or “Bucket of”. Powder Valley, SG Ammo and a few others have pretty good deals on American Eagle and PMC.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM

I find the brown box Winchester 230 ball to be filthy in my gun. I have almost chewed through 1000 rounds of it. I did grab some fiocchi recently that is accurate and clean.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM

I was wondering about the S&B 230gr. Does it run good and how dirty is it. Years ago I shot PMC and all of a sudden it just turned into the dirtiest round around. I switched to AE and Blaser Brass. I just finished shooting a case of Blaser Brass that was filthy. I was thinking maybe it was just a messed up lot. I have a case of the new "clean" AE and will see how it goes. I also bought a case of AE "clean" 9mm. That stuff is expensive and don't see anymore in my future. I have been seeing very good deals on S&B but hate to jump on a case without any knowledge of it.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Learn your own priorities regarding ammo.

Priorities could include any of the following (in no specific order)...and more:

Cost
Supply and continuity of supply
SD efficacy
Bullet type (e.g., I like Barnes all-copper for SD)
Felt recoil
Muzzle flash
Clean burning
Proven reliability in your specific gun
Quality of brass (for reloaders)
Quality control (not necessarily the same as reliability in your gun)
Gas volume generated for compensator-equipped guns
Extreme accuracy in competition
Etc.

Then have fun trying different selections.

It is a journey, and journey revisions are likely over the long haul.

Cheap ammo is likely not to score high across a broad array of desired characteristics. But if it serves your purposes, it might be just the ticket. Higher cost ammo will likely score higher on the same broad array, but even so, paying more will be no assurance of getting a good match with your priorities. And there's no merit in wasting money if you're not getting the benefits.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.