Video "SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter" - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Video "SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter"

I saw this vid posted on one of the other forums I frequent and wanted to share it here. It's made by SAAMI and shows the various reactions of a variety of unsupported ammunition (not chambered in a firearm) with interesting results. From being shot at, ran over with a bulldozer, dropped from extreme heights and even in fires, it really shows that "loose" ammo is not as dangerous as one might believe and doesn't offer the "Hollywood" explosive factor that you might think it would. Although the video was made primarily as a training aid for Fire Fighters, the information is equally as important for any of us who has ammunition in the house. Of course, a chambered firearm that might go off due to a fire or whatever is lethal and understandably so, it does offer a great perspective and insight that should help put to rest any major concerns firearm owners have regarding perceived dangers of having any amount of ammuntion in the home. Very intriguing and I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOX...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Freakdaddy; 11-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Moved to Ammo Can and made into a sticky. It looks like it can still be dangerous up close (within a few feet) but not at any reasonable distance.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM

so if there is a semi-auto pistol in a fire with the safety off is it going to unload itself in the fire or jam after the first shot because the shooter isn't providing resistance to the pistol?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno View Post
so if there is a semi-auto pistol in a fire with the safety off is it going to unload itself in the fire or jam after the first shot because the shooter isn't providing resistance to the pistol?
I would imagine it would jam after the first shot due to the lack of resistance you stated but it also may depend on how they are stored.

I have three guns in my safe that are always loaded and chambered, two are carry pistols that I rotate out every now and again and the third being my AR. The pistols lay on their side in the safe so should they go off, I would imagine they won't cycle since no type of resistance is applied. The AR is upright with the buttstock on the floor of the safe so there is a strong possibility a couple of rounds or more might cook off. Some pistol stands for safes are designed so the pistols sit upright to save space so the same principle may apply where there is just enough resistance to cause it to cycle in a normal fashion. Who knows for sure but interesting to ponder.

I am more inclined in my situation to leave the pistols as they are since they get used often enough that bullet setback is a greater concern than a fire to me. Plus, with the way they are in the safe, likely only the chambered round is going to go off and shouldn't present a threat to fire fighters since the bullet will have to penetrate the safe, cedar lining and interior / exterior wallboards before even going into another room of my house. I may just keep the AR loaded and not chambered since it doesn't get used as often. I'm sure the 5.56 would penetrate the safe but seriously doubt it would also penetrate the cedar lining, interior and exterior wallboard while still packing enough punch to pose a threat but strange things can happen. In all reality, by the time it would take me to work the combo of the safe and get the AR out, it's not like having to chamber a round is going to be the difference between life or death or serious bodily injury to me but it may be that for a fire fighter. Once again, who knows for sure.

Thanks for making it a sticky dsk! Never thought I'd see the day a post of mine would have that happen LOL!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you for posting this. I found it very educational.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Clear evidence that the attempt by the administration to restrict common carrier shipments about ammunition has nothing to do with safety.

"Gun control by other means."
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM

That's a good training video.

When I was still working, we put on an annual wildland fire training event at a local reserve base. We burned off the annual grass which reduced fires from rounds during their live fire exercises and allowed native vegetation to regrow. It was a win win. The only downside was getting used to belts of ammo that had been left in the field going off as we came by with the hose line. Nerve racking for sure but we just moved off a few feet and kept on going. Now the grenade we came across one year had everybody moving rapidly in the opposite direction.

When it comes to say, a garage fire, I'm much more concerned about things like 5gl propane tanks than I am ammunition. I'm not going to keep a crew in there until it all goes off but it's not a major safety issue. In fact, unless you know it's ammunition, chances are you'll think it's just spray cans going off, until bullets start bouncing off your turnouts.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Dang.... all that ammo gone to waste
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Very interesting video. Thanks.
Ammo is pretty tough stuff. Amazing how it reacts in the gun vs outside.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 AM

This video will save lives
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 AM

It certainly will save property. In the old days, I've seen houses allowed to burn, because they had ammo in them, when they could have been successfully fought and extinguished.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Very interesting. I feel a little better having lots of ammo in my house.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 PM

good video--took it to the firehall to educate.. thanks for posting
Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno View Post
I have seen people ask if the chambered round will go off in a fire, mostly regarding an HD gun stored in any of the handgun safes used for safe HD storage and it being a concern for first responders.

My HD handgun is stored in a handgun safe made of 3/16" (7ga) steel and the muzzle is pointed toward a brick exterior wall so I feel confident that if it does go off in a fire, no one will get hurt from it.

Seems unlikely that it will cycle additional rounds. Maybe the rounds in the magazine will get hot quicker than the one in the chamber (more steel to heat up than the grip/magazine area?) and damage the gun first.