1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
Number 1 for any load you pick make sure its 100% reliable.

The 10mm lends itself wonderfully to handloading. 12.8g AA9 and a 220g Ackerman WFN cast bullet runs 1290fps from a 5" 1911 and 1330fps from a 7" kkm barrel g40 and have been impressive on 2-300lb pigs. I've yet to recover a bullet and some have been near 3 feet of penetration required to exit. Witnessing this and the damage done, i'd recommend a heavy cast WFN.
That's a full power load for sure, be fun to shoot.
I'll be putting AA#9 behind 200g Bayou SWCs for target work and buying Underwood ammo for defense for now.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Im am not beefing with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
This is the part where we disagree. I had a less than 50 foot encounter with a cougar. Who knows how many other times I just didn't see them.
I know people that have been stalked. How many more times they just didn't see them?
They are common here. In the last 15 years I've seen as many as bears.
I will reiterate that I do not recommend going out and about, into the wild so to speak unarmed. However I have personal experience with wild animals on a pretty regular basis. My experience has been that black bear will generally run away from being yelled at. Not always, but they are generally not aggressive. My wife and I recently had a medium sized black bear scrounging acorns off of the side of a hill fairly close to our house. We were not concerned by this and it did not affect our behavior. We were often engaged in projects of our own within fifty feet or so of where the bear was munching out. Surprisingly enough we are still alive.

With the rather chilling realization that a scant three percent of the worlds remaining vertebrates are in fact wild animals. We try to cut them slack wherever need be.

"However goes the beast shall also go man." Chief Joseph
Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 PM

Understood, we agree mostly but don't see eye to eye on the threat the big cats present.
Maybe it's regional.
My experience with black bears is somewhat similar to yours. Every time I've been close to one they are moving away. I don't know anyone that has been stalked by one and they aren't attacking people here. Cats are.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:41 PM

If you say that this is the case then I am inclined to believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
Understood, we agree mostly but don't see eye to eye on the threat the big cats present.
Maybe it's regional.
My experience with black bears is somewhat similar to yours. Every time I've been close to one they are moving away. I don't know anyone that has been stalked by one and they aren't attacking people here. Cats are.
Cats are not an issue here in Virginia. As I have stated I do not advise going anywhere without being properly prepared. But I am inclined towards cutting wildlife as much slack as I can.